Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a criminal?

can you guys define 'criminal'?

for example running a stop sign and speeding tickets aren't usually considered criminal acts.

what is it that defines criminal and criminal act?

Yes, they are criminal acts. If it is "against the law" it is a crime. If there is a law prohibiting it and there is an accompanying penalty involving the possibilty of a fine, incarceration or both for committing or failing to commit said act, it is a crime.

Comment

Keep in mind that there are levels of criminality as defined by society. Low levels are handled by tickets and fines then running the gamut up to executions.

Comment

Originally posted by leopold99 View Post
        can you guys define 'criminal'?

for example running a stop sign and speeding tickets aren't usually considered criminal acts.

what is it that defines criminal and criminal act?
        At least in Indiana, most traffic violations are civil infractions, so no you aren't a criminal for running a stop sign. It's a civil action, fine only, no possible jail time. Misdemeanor charges, however, would make you a criminal.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
          At least in Indiana, most traffic violations are civil infractions, so no you aren't a criminal for running a stop sign. It's a civil action, fine only, no possible jail time. Misdemeanor charges, however, would make you a criminal.
          I agree and add that in PA a summary level crime such as publicintox. or disorderly COnduct is a criminal charge but a summary and dealt with by citation. A traffic infraction is just that, a violation of the vehicle code even though there could be jail time.
          I say if it falls under the crimes code and you violate it, your a criminal.
          If it falls under the traffic code and filing is done via citation, then your a traffic offender....
          I got nothing for now

Comment

What is criminal?

Alabama has two Codes, Officers work from. One is Title 13A Code of Alabama. The second is Title 32 Code of Alabama. Title 13 A is the Criminal Code and classifies crimes as Felonies or Misdemeanors. Felonies are further classified as Class A, Class B, Class C. Misdemeanors are classed the same way. The majority of offenses in Title 32 (Traffic Code) are classified as Violations. Exceptions to this are Homicide by Motor Vehicle, Leaving the Scene of an Accident w/Injuries, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Fleeing and Eluding a Police Officer, and DUI. All of these carry criminal sanctions. For purposes of simplicity, Crimes/Offenses are felonies, misdemeanors, or violations. In some states, traffic offenses are treated as Civil Infractions, with the exceptions noted above. Many Highway Patrol/State Police agencies will classify a traffic citation as an "Arrest". This classification is for statistical purposes only. What that means to you is simply this. You're stopped for speeding on the Interstate and cited. You haven't been arrested, as far as your personal record is concerned, but you have been for Highway Patrol statistical purposes. In other words , if asked, you recieved a citation. You weren't arrested.

Comment

The definition of CRIMINAL is what society and the people who have the power makes it out to bem for the most part. A CRIME is an exact thing...running a stop sign, not signaling a left or right turn, etc.
              I DON'T FIGHT TO WIN, I FIGHT TO SURVIVE.

Comment

tomato tomato patato patoto blah blah

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Atleast in Indiana maybe, but regardless of Misdemeanors felonies or traffic violations they are all crimes. That doesnt mean violators of minor traffic violations are criminals. It means they were negligent in obeying the law and that is a crime, sorry. Last time i checked negligence was a crime.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

To me, a criminal is anyone who listens to rap music or likes paris hilton..or votes for the democratic party.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

good answers all around but i guess i didn't word my first post right.

i'm looking for the essence of criminality.
                    if i round a curve at the speed limit and kill a pedestrian standing in the road would i be a criminal?
                    are illegal aliens criminals?

in my opinion criminality implies some kind of intent.

Comment

if i round a curve at the speed limit and kill a pedestrian standing in the road would i be a criminal?
                      Not unless you were driving too fast for the conditions or in some other negligent way (DUI/Recklessly, etc)

are illegal aliens criminals?
                      YES! They have the intent of being here against the laws of our contry.

in my opinion criminality implies some kind of intent.
                      But it also entails criminal negligence and prima facia violations of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                        To me, a criminal is anyone who listens to rap music or likes paris hilton..or votes for the democratic party.
                        Yea to both of your posts!! Good job, I think just like that.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3103 users online. 137 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X