300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Service Officer??

I just saw a job posting for this. I see they do alot of Police work but arent really the Police. Does anyone have more info? Has anyone started out as a Community Service Officer and then became a Police Officer with that Dept. down the road. Do they carry a firearm and go to the Academy?

Thanks! I did a search for the but the search thing wasnt working.
    Last edited by Militarymuscle; 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM.

had a buddy in college that did it. You ARE NOT a LEO. You look like one, but are not one. You have all the same equipment, but no gun, or arrest powers. You do alot of civil stuff, and city ord. stuff. Help out on accidents (traffic control) work crowd control, and then help doing stuff liek that. No academy that i know he went to, but you do get EVOC because you are in a marcked unit and can run code to some calls (per SOP)
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Community Service Officer

Many jurisdictions, particularly, cities and counties, employ Community Service Officers. Typically, these are non-sworn positions. That is to say, there are no arrest powers, and you don't carry a firearm. Employees in this classification often respond to non-emergency calls for service. An example would be a non injury traffic accident, a delayed theft report, etc. The functions of a CSO will vary from department to department. As a rule, you'll attend an orientation as opposed to a regular academy. The pay is usually considerably less than that of a sworn officer. As a rule, you'll be subjected to the same thorough Background Investigation as would be required for a regular Officer. If you're under 21, considering a law enforcement career, and looking for some exposure to the job, I'd highly recommend you look into a CSO position if one is available.

Comment

Thanks guys! Starting pay is $43,819.00, top pay is $51,552 in 2 years. I didnt think that was to bad of pay as long as you dont have to live in that town.

Comment

i was a CSO ... at $15/hr.. with i could make $40,000+ for that job. but you get pepper spray. you do mostly cold calls, taking reports, accidents, etc. smalls calls to free up the officers so they could handle serious stuff...sometimes they are also called police service officers. and you do get a vest. but it's an excellent stepping stone to become a police officer. you'll get to know everyone in the dept.

Comment

My department calls it a Police Service Technician.

And that's what I do! It's a lot of fun, and it's giving me a lot of great experience to get myself into a sworn position when I'm old enough.

Basically, I handle cold burglary calls, missing persons, runaway kids, GTA reports and recoveries, traffic accidents, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. They'll also send us to some of the weird calls- like one of my coworkers has handled beehive calls, sewer maintenance issues, and the like. Proactive time is usually spent marking/citing/impounding abandoned and illegally parked vehicles. Basically all the different things that sworn officers don't necessarily need to handle so as to free them up for the priority stuff. I'm not sure about some departments, but we are NOT authorized to run code where I work- we have ambers only. Wish I got paid as well as that job posting shows, though!

If you ever want to know more about it and have some specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Comment

i dont know how the cost of living is up there but it sounds like a good gig with some good money. I know in Maryland the only department i know of that has CSO's is Baltimore City and it appears slowly yet surely there weeding them out. The CSO's they have they are going to keep but they arnt gonna hire any more
              "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Buy a dress

Originally posted by Militarymuscle View Post
                I just saw a job posting for this. I see they do alot of Police work but arent really the Police. Does anyone have more info? Has anyone started out as a Community Service Officer and then became a Police Officer with that Dept. down the road. Do they carry a firearm and go to the Academy?

Thanks! I did a search for the but the search thing wasnt working.
                If you want to be a Police Officer than be one not a walking target with no arresting powers. I actually think the morons who think up these civilian roles have not considered civil liability when some gang of drug dealers mugs and beats them half to death because they dont have proper equipment or the powers to affect an arrest. Talk about failure to maintain a safe working environment. Im not knocking you or your desires, just dont think meter maids are L.E. I also dont mean any disrespect to community services officers either certified L.E or civilians. but people need to wake up. Community Policing is addressing the concerns of crime by putting the animals that prey on innocent hard working people in a cage. Not some liberal college broken window theory that degenerates are not going to trash their occupied areas because the rest of the areas are neat and tidy. They will though understand fear of getting caught and being punished if they stray too far. Community Policing is a joke and even worse a waste of money that could be spent on training and higher wages and better equipment for Officers. It sounds good but look at the results.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by firestone88 View Post
                  My department calls it a Police Service Technician.

And that's what I do! It's a lot of fun, and it's giving me a lot of great experience to get myself into a sworn position when I'm old enough.

Basically, I handle cold burglary calls, missing persons, runaway kids, GTA reports and recoveries, traffic accidents, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. They'll also send us to some of the weird calls- like one of my coworkers has handled beehive calls, sewer maintenance issues, and the like. Proactive time is usually spent marking/citing/impounding abandoned and illegally parked vehicles. Basically all the different things that sworn officers don't necessarily need to handle so as to free them up for the priority stuff. I'm not sure about some departments, but we are NOT authorized to run code where I work- we have ambers only. Wish I got paid as well as that job posting shows, though!

If you ever want to know more about it and have some specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
                  Im glad it's alot of fun to you and "cool" as you say though I dont think of victim Incident Reporting as "cool" Id like to know what happens when you have to actually testify since you dont know jack about criminal law. And what happens when you work an auto crash? Who are you to write a summons not having arrest powers? And what happens if you are impounding an abandoned vehicle and the suspended thug hiding in the bushes watching his car jumps out and cracks open your skull?? You are not trained and not qualified to do what you claim to be "cool". And one day when either You go to civil court for some dumb kid mistake you made and the department gets sued for trying to cut corners by having officers do police work or you sue the department for fighting off a crackhead with only a notebook and ink pen and you have a disability claim now then let everyone know how "cool" community service was
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Disreguard

Originally posted by Militarymuscle View Post
                    Thanks guys! Starting pay is $43,819.00, top pay is $51,552 in 2 years. I didnt think that was to bad of pay as long as you dont have to live in that town.
                    I just saw what you would start off at in pay. That is a disgrace to L.E. especially down here where most real cops start at around $25k a year. Nevermind what I said, thats good money. Take the metermaid job.

Comment

Who the **** ****ed in your Wheaties this morning?

Comment

Dang Nightshift... take a chill! All of the guys that I know who do this have all the same equipment except a gun, and are certified, and trained on how to use one. With regards to MVA's. if he needs an officer to write a ticket, he calls for a motor officer, and they come and write it, it just saves them the report... freeing up officers is a great idea specailly in busy areas....
                        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

CSO/PSO is not bad for those who want to see what LE is all about through osmosis.

As stated above, it's a lot of grunt work. Out here in CA, not many CSOs get "marked units". They are usually issued a small pick up truck that is either solid white, or black and white with orange barlights.

I have met a few LASO community service officers who had their chit together and a few that were gumps. And the same from my department. All complained of a lack of pay. But if you can find a CSO job that you want for that pay to test the waters, go for it. Just remember your place or you will get yourself a bad reputation.

Comment

your right sorry firestone

Originally posted by BikeCop501 View Post
                            Dang Nightshift... take a chill! All of the guys that I know who do this have all the same equipment except a gun, and are certified, and trained on how to use one. With regards to MVA's. if he needs an officer to write a ticket, he calls for a motor officer, and they come and write it, it just saves them the report... freeing up officers is a great idea specailly in busy areas....
                            I know they have a purpose. I still stick to the opinion I have about Liability when it gets bad but Id actually love it if I had one helping us out on the road. That pay just burns me up regardless of the higher cost of living in Illinois vs Va. I didnt mean to be my usual nasty self last night.

Comment

Who did it to my wheaties

Originally posted by firestone88 View Post
                              Who the **** ****ed in your Wheaties this morning?
                              Im sorry, I shouldnt have come across the way I did about your role. Im glad you like your job and it's nice to see a refreshing attitude once in awhile. As for who does what in my Wheaties, Im a cop going on 13years PLENTY of people Pee in my wheaties so to speak.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4067 users online. 211 members and 3856 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X