300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer not allowing to pass?

I was driving to a hockey game somewhere (I want to say Massachusetts or New Hampshire) and we were travelling through an awful storm with awful road conditions. The highway was in terrible shape and they just couldn't keep up with the snow.

Anyways, I am trucking along with traffic at maybe 45-50mph on the highway, and a cop merges on right in front of me. I slow down and let him in. Due to this, I am now the "lead" car behind him. So, I shift to my left lane and move to go around him, as he is only doing maybe 30mph. I have a line of cars behind me wanting to go around as well. Anyways, I see him put his hand up in the window in a "stop" type hand signal. I didn't think it was to me, and I go to pass. All of a sudden, he jumps over into my lane in front of me, causing me to hit my brakes pretty hard, too hard for the conditions, and flicks his lights on and then back off. Needless to say, I get back over in my right lane behind him, and follow him for the next 30 miles or so on the highway. Other cars kept wanting to pass him, and he kept shifting over and blocking, etc. Then, out of the blue, he just gets off an exit and everyone goes back to driving the way we were.

Now, I know he could ticket me for driving too fast in unsafe conditions if he really wanted to, but does he have any legal capacity to block a fully functional roadway and not allow anyone to pass him as he did above? I'm just curious as I didn't think he could really do something like that.

There was no other reason for him to be stopping besides the weather us before anyone asks, such as work being done ahead of plows, etc.
    Last edited by Exdeus; 05-10-2007, 10:33 AM.
    "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Exdeus View Post
    I was driving to a hockey game somewhere (I want to say Massachusetts or New Hampshire) and we were travelling through an awful storm with awful road conditions. The highway was in terrible shape and they just couldn't keep up with the snow.

Anyways, I am trucking along with traffic at maybe 45-50mph on the highway, and a cop merges on right in front of me. I slow down and let him in. Due to this, I am now the "lead" car behind him. So, I shift to my left lane and move to go around him, as he is only doing maybe 30mph. I have a line of cars behind me wanting to go around as well. Anyways, I see him put his hand up in the window in a "stop" type hand signal. I didn't think it was to me, and I go to pass. All of a sudden, he jumps over into my lane in front of me, causing me to hit my brakes pretty hard, too hard for the conditions, and flicks his lights on and then back off. Needless to say, I get back over in my right lane behind him, and follow him for the next 30 miles or so on the highway. Other cars kept wanting to pass him, and he kept shifting over and blocking, etc. Then, out of the blue, he just gets off an exit and everyone goes back to driving the way we were.

Now, I know he could ticket me for driving too fast in unsafe conditions if he really wanted to, but does he have any legal capacity to block a fully functional roadway and not allow anyone to pass him as he did above? I'm just curious as I didn't think he could really do something like that.

There was no reason for him to be stopping us before anyone asks, such as work being done ahead of plows, etc.
    Read the bold comments from your post because you have conflicting statements. You say the road was a mess and they couldnt keep up with it and that the officer could have written you an unsafe speed ticket, but then you say there was no reason for him to slow people down. If it is snowing and an officer is slowing traffic down to prevent accidents then he has every legal right to do so...consider it an official warning to slow down. 30mph in the snow seems pretty good to me......why would you want to go faster when the roads are in such poor condition. I think you are lucky you didnt get a ticket especially for ignoring his signal to back off. Slow down and less people will get hurt.

Comment

I agree with the FUZZ! You admit the officer could have cited you for your speed in such conditions. It's my experience that if snow plows can't keep up with the snow that 's falling then you were going too fast. Instead of starting this thread you should have started one like,"To the officer/deputy/trooper (whichever one it was) who slowed the traffic on whatever highway and may have saved our lives, THANKYOU! Just my thoughts.
      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Just think of it like racing. You never pass the pace car!

Comment

I wasn't criticizing him at all. I didn't necessarily disagree with what he did. I just wanted to ask if it was fully legal for him to do something like that. I suppose that was kind of a stupid question as it would obviously be a yes.

Fuzz: When I said there was no reason for him to be slowing us down, I meant other then the road conditions, sorry. I meant slowing us down for an accident ahead, or construction, or something of that nature. I didn't mean due to the weather.

Also, how could he ticket me for me not heeding his signal to back off? Him putting his hand up in the car could have meant anything to me. I figured maybe he was talking to someone in the car, hence the reason that I ignored it. I mean for all he could know with that one, I didn't even see him do that! I just didn't think he was doing that to me, thats all. Once he flipped on the lights though, I realized he was lol

And yes, I agree, maybe we were all going a bit too fast for conditions. I had just been driving in it for the last 7 hours, and I felt that the speed of around 45-50 was sufficient for the conditions on a thruway.

Either way, no complaints, just curious as to legalities. Sorry if it seemed to be a complaint.

And yes, its the pace car...ya just don't pass it hah.
          -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

I had a similar situation this past winter. It was a complete "white out" and cars were going off the road constantly. The district to my south had a major accident and asked if we could slow down the traffic headed their way. From where I started slowing down traffic there was no evidence of the accident. At the point where I would turn around to avoid leaving my district there was no evidence of the accident. However, when cars would go over the hill into the next district....major accident. Not only was there a semi that had flipped and covered the roadway, but now there were 30 - 40 cars in the ditch. Point being, if I am nice enough to give you a signal to stay behind me take advantage of it before you get a citation. When I was slowing traffic, I drove right down the middle of th road with every light on. You have no idea what is going on 20 miles down the road, the officer does. And FYI, I can shut down any road I want to, even if "YOU" don't think I have a reason.

Comment

I suppose that was kind of a stupid question as it would obviously be a yes.
              Since it's apparent you already knew the answer to your question , I'm gonna have to concur
              "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Come out to California! We run traffic breaks all of the time on the interstates to allow a road hazard clearance, slow traffic because of a problem or just to be nasty to people like you!!! (jk)

Officers do what you described because of the weather and roadway conditions. That is good traffic management and may have saved you from a serious incident. At the very least, you arrived at your destination in one piece.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Not allowing to pass.

Rather a contradictory statement. You begin by describing how bad the road conditions are, then you have a bone to pick with the cop who slowed you down. Can he do that? Does he have the authority? Yes, on both counts. Every state in the Union also has Vehicle Code prohibitions for operating a vehicle at speeds too great for conditions. That would seem to have applied to you. The fact that you,(and the other drivers) began to drive as you had prior to the Officer's arrival, seems to indicate a degree of collective bad judgement as well.

Comment

Rolling road block

I wasn't criticizing him at all. I didn't necessarily disagree with what he did. I just wanted to ask if it was fully legal for him to do something like that. I suppose that was kind of a stupid question as it would obviously be a yes.

Fuzz: When I said there was no reason for him to be slowing us down, I meant other then the road conditions, sorry. I meant slowing us down for an accident ahead, or construction, or something of that nature. I didn't mean due to the weather.

Also, how could he ticket me for me not heeding his signal to back off? Him putting his hand up in the car could have meant anything to me. I figured maybe he was talking to someone in the car, hence the reason that I ignored it. I mean for all he could know with that one, I didn't even see him do that! I just didn't think he was doing that to me, thats all. Once he flipped on the lights though, I realized he was lol

And yes, I agree, maybe we were all going a bit too fast for conditions. I had just been driving in it for the last 7 hours, and I felt that the speed of around 45-50 was sufficient for the conditions on a thruway.

Either way, no complaints, just curious as to legalities. Sorry if it seemed to be a complaint.

And yes, its the pace car...ya just don't pass it hah.
                    The officer was trying to prevent working any other traffic crashes from morons who didnt have since enough to stay off the roads except in an emergency situation ofwhich a Hockey game does not an emergency make. You shouldn't have even been on the road to begin with much less driving too fast for conditions. So you are lucky he didnt write you. Just admit the truth you were mad because you were in a hurry and didn't want to be slowed down and in your mind somewhere you thought your driving privledge was some sort of constitutional right you had that he was infringing upon. Dont worry, you aren't alone. Many think there driving any way they want and anywhere they want is their god givin right and not a privledge. Thats why we have jobs.
                    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                      The officer was trying to prevent working any other traffic crashes from morons who didnt have since enough to stay off the roads except in an emergency situation ofwhich a Hockey game does not an emergency make. You shouldn't have even been on the road to begin with much less driving too fast for conditions. So you are lucky he didnt write you. Just admit the truth you were mad because you were in a hurry and didn't want to be slowed down and in your mind somewhere you thought your driving privledge was some sort of constitutional right you had that he was infringing upon. Dont worry, you aren't alone. Many think there driving any way they want and anywhere they want is their god givin right and not a privledge. Thats why we have jobs.
                      Ya know...I was travelling on that roadway because currently, HOCKEY IS MY JOB! I am a paid on-ice official. I had a game to make, I had already been on the road for 5 hours when I hit the storm and had to push through it. So, I resent being called a moron for going to work.

So, that should cover being on the road in the first place. I left with enough time anticipating that I would hit this storm. I don't personally feel that I was driving too fast for conditions. I drive in it all winter, and have never had a single issue driving (no accidents, loss of control, nothing, ever). I'm not claiming to be an amazing driver, but I don't personally feel I was driving at speeds that were not safe. Again, thats my personal opinion, just like it was the officers opinion that 35mph was a better speed then 45mph.

And to add to it, I don't think I have any god given constitutional right to any roadway. And I damn well know I could be ticketed for it, as I said in my initial post.

I knew the answer...I just wasn't terribly happy at the moment as someone else had said hah.

-Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Originally posted by ILTPR View Post
                        When I was slowing traffic, I drove right down the middle of th road with every light on. You have no idea what is going on 20 miles down the road, the officer does. And FYI, I can shut down any road I want to, even if "YOU" don't think I have a reason.
                        I wasn't doing this to argue. I was just asking, and I obviously already knew the answer, I'm just boneheaded sometimes .

Anyways, that is one major difference. The officer had no lights on to indicate it.

That is why I ignored his initial hand up in the air. I thought maybe he was talking to someone in the car. Then he flipped the lights on and I realized he meant me. It wasn't that I ignored it. He just had no lights operating.

And to it being a collective bad judgement to speed back up after the officer left, I think you could argue that either way. I think the conditions were suitable to drive 45mph on, the officer thought 35mph or something. I honestly saw very few accidents, the roads just had a lot of snow on them.

And to whoever brought up slowing traffic for an accident miles and miles down, thats a good point. I figured if I was behind him for 30 miles, we would have at least hit the point of cause of him slowing us. I didn't think it would be any further.

Guess if I get hired I have a lot to learn in the academy eh?

Now I have to head off to go talk to the Coast Guard. See you all in a bit!

Thanks for the replies btw...and bear with me...I can make boneheaded comments sometimes hah
                        Last edited by Exdeus; 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM.
                        -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

You've asked several questions on these forums, and have been given honest answers. If you don't like them, quit asking. At the end of any given day, the Officer's opinion as to whether or not your speed was too great for conditions, will be the prevailing one. If you desire to challenge his judgement in court, that's your right. Even if the Judge rules your way, we're still into you for a day off work to go to court. If you retain an attorney, he's going to cost you more than the fine and court costs. So, either way, we got your attention. The simplest way to deal with us, is to do what the vast majority of the motoring public does. Drive with due regard to the prevailing road/weather conditions. Act like the responsible citizen you want us all to believe you are.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                            You've asked several questions on these forums, and have been given honest answers. If you don't like them, quit asking. At the end of any given day, the Officer's opinion as to whether or not your speed was too great for conditions, will be the prevailing one. If you desire to challenge his judgement in court, that's your right. Even if the Judge rules your way, we're still into you for a day off work to go to court. If you retain an attorney, he's going to cost you more than the fine and court costs. So, either way, we got your attention. The simplest way to deal with us, is to do what the vast majority of the motoring public does. Drive with due regard to the prevailing road/weather conditions. Act like the responsible citizen you want us all to believe you are.
                            I wasn't complaining about anything. Sorry if it came across that way.

I do drive just as every other responsible citizen does, and I do listen and obey officers.

Either way, my question was answered and I appreciate the replies.
                            -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Well Ex, you could have fooled me, but I'll accept your explanation. If you're looking for honesty, you came to the right place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6170 users online. 374 members and 5796 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X