Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qween of England vs Pres. Bush

Hi all,

The Queen of England was here were I live (Williamsburg) last weekend. As I am a videographer, I was asked to tape her appearance.

I have taped Pres. Bush, VP Cheney, the Gov. of VA and so fourth. The one thing I noticed was security was at least twice that when Pres. Bush visits. I always got press status when Bush or Cheney visits but I, and all the major media was forced at least 300 yards from her. Bush I got within 100 feet and our Gov. got within 20 feet.

Why would the Queen get more security as Bush? She really has no politacal importance other than tradition. I would think Bush, the most powerful man on the planet would have more security than the Qween.

By the way, this weekend is America's 400th aniversity. I am lucky enough to live less than a mile from Jamestown Island. Happy B-Day America!!!!

Two words...international incident. Can you imagine the backlash if the Queen got assassinated in the US with the Secret Service on the job?
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
      Why would the Queen get more security as Bush? She really has no politacal importance other than tradition. I would think Bush, the most powerful man on the planet would have more security than the Qween.
      For many Britons, she has very significant importance. She may not make the decisions, but she's still a strong symbol for all that nation has been and is.

Part of the difference lies in the nature of the beast. American presidents are, by definition if not practice, the "common man" raised up to lead. There is a tradition of direct accessibility to our politicians because they are one of us. Her Majesty on the other hand, is not of the "common" ilk. There is no tradition of direct accessibility to royality. I'm sure that her security forces have very strict rules on access and distance that would seem excessive by American standards, but just right for them.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        For many Britons, she has very significant importance. She may not make the decisions, but she's still a strong symbol for all that nation has been and is.
        Exactly. The Queen is the UK's Head of State and in many ways the living embodiment of our country. As a Police Officer, for example, I swore an oath to "well and truly serve Our Sovereign Lady The Queen". The Queen is the source of our laws (so all criminal cases are Regina (The Queen) versus X) and as such is immune to arrest.

More generally though, I don't think The Queen has a larger security detail than any other Head of State - it's dwarfed by the President's, if what I saw at G8 was anything to go by.
        I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

For someone to kill both our President AND the Queen would be a heck of an accomplishment for the terrorists. If I were in the Secret Service, the pucker factor would have been way up the entire time she was in the country.

Comment

Technically the Queen is the second most powerfull head of state in the world (second to bush) the monarch of the UK traditionally does not use this power and all decisions are made by prime minister and government. but if the queen suddenly said i want this to happen and we are going to war with whoever. we would go to war.

Comment

I never knew that. I always thought of the Queen more as symbolic figure.
              Thanks for the info.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
                Technically the Queen is the second most powerfull head of state in the world (second to bush) the monarch of the UK traditionally does not use this power and all decisions are made by prime minister and government. but if the queen suddenly said i want this to happen and we are going to war with whoever. we would go to war.
                Thanks for the info, I never new that either. I learn something new everyday!

Comment

One has to remember also...that the Queen isn't just the head of state for the UK, but for the entire Commonwealth. All over the world, in every country within the Commonwealth, they swear allegiance to the Queen.

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
                    I never knew that. I always thought of the Queen more as symbolic figure.
                    Thanks for the info.
                    I saw a special on her once, she's not just the figurehead...she reviews/approves every act that the government works on.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Can_Rookie View Post
                      One has to remember also...that the Queen isn't just the head of state for the UK, but for the entire Commonwealth. All over the world, in every country within the Commonwealth, they swear allegiance to the Queen.
                      Yeah, i think the power stems from the days when the UK had an empire, we owned most of the globe. and now its just the commonweath countries that swear allegiance.

Anguilla
                      Antigua and Barbuda
                      Australia
                      Australian Antarctic Territory
                      Bahamas
                      Bangladesh
                      Barbados
                      Belize
                      Bermuda
                      Botswana
                      British Antarctic Territory
                      British Indian Ocean Territory
                      British Virgin Islands
                      Brunei
                      Cameroon
                      Canada
                      Cayman Islands
                      Channel Islands
                      Cook Islands
                      Cyprus
                      Dominica
                      Falkland Islands
                      Falkland Islands Dependencies
                      Fiji
                      Gambia
                      Ghana
                      Gibraltar
                      Grenada
                      Guyana
                      India
                      Isle of Man
                      Jamaica
                      Kenya
                      Kiribati
                      Lesotho
                      Malawi
                      Malaysia

Maldives
                      Malta
                      Mauritius
                      Montserrat
                      Mozambique
                      Namibia
                      Nauru
                      New Zealand
                      Nigeria
                      Niue
                      Norfolk Island
                      Pakistan
                      Papua New Guinea
                      Pitcairn Islands
                      Ross Dependency
                      Seychelles
                      Sierra Leone
                      Singapore
                      Solomon Islands
                      South Africa
                      Sri Lanka
                      St Christopher-Nevis
                      St Helena
                      St Lucia
                      St Vincent and the Grenadines
                      Swaziland
                      Tanzania
                      Tokelau
                      Tonga
                      Trinidad and Tobago
                      Turks and Caicos Islands
                      Tuvalu
                      Uganda
                      Vanuatu
                      Western Samoa
                      Zambia
                      Zimbabwe

so just think, technically as those countries swear allegiance to the queen what power she actually has!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
                        Yeah, i think the power stems from the days when the UK had an empire, we owned most of the globe. and now its just the commonweath countries that swear allegiance.

Anguilla
                        Antigua and Barbuda
                        Australia
                        Australian Antarctic Territory
                        Bahamas
                        Bangladesh
                        Barbados
                        Belize
                        Bermuda
                        Botswana
                        British Antarctic Territory
                        British Indian Ocean Territory
                        British Virgin Islands
                        Brunei
                        Cameroon
                        Canada
                        Cayman Islands
                        Channel Islands
                        Cook Islands
                        Cyprus
                        Dominica
                        Falkland Islands
                        Falkland Islands Dependencies
                        Fiji
                        Gambia
                        Ghana
                        Gibraltar
                        Grenada
                        Guyana
                        India
                        Isle of Man
                        Jamaica
                        Kenya
                        Kiribati
                        Lesotho
                        Malawi
                        Malaysia

Maldives
                        Malta
                        Mauritius
                        Montserrat
                        Mozambique
                        Namibia
                        Nauru
                        New Zealand
                        Nigeria
                        Niue
                        Norfolk Island
                        Pakistan
                        Papua New Guinea
                        Pitcairn Islands
                        Ross Dependency
                        Seychelles
                        Sierra Leone
                        Singapore
                        Solomon Islands
                        South Africa
                        Sri Lanka
                        St Christopher-Nevis
                        St Helena
                        St Lucia
                        St Vincent and the Grenadines
                        Swaziland
                        Tanzania
                        Tokelau
                        Tonga
                        Trinidad and Tobago
                        Turks and Caicos Islands
                        Tuvalu
                        Uganda
                        Vanuatu
                        Western Samoa
                        Zambia
                        Zimbabwe

so just think, technically as those countries swear allegiance to the queen what power she actually has!!
                        WOW, I guess I need a history lesson. I really don't know how the Qween and her power operates. Here in the U.S. we have 4 "commonwealths"....Virginia, Massachusettes, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Althought most people refer to these as 'States', The locals in each say "we are a commonwealth". Do any of you know if the Qween still has recognition in your country as the above "commonwealths" in our 4 "commomwealths"?

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
                          Here in the U.S. we have 4 "commonwealths"....Virginia, Massachusettes, Pennsylvania and Kentucky.[...] Do any of you know if the Qween still has recognition in your country as the above "commonwealths" in our 4 "commomwealths"?
                          The (British) Commonwealth is a little different from the US Commonwealths. Virtually all of the countries in the British Commonwealth were formerly part of the Empire. A couple of countries which had no historic connection with the UK have also opted to join. Maybe because there are loads of really hot chicks at Commonwealth meetings, I don't know. It's obviously voluntary and not all former colonies are members (the US being an obvious example). The Queen is however not the Head of State of every Commonwealth country, many of which are Republics.

As I understand it, the US Commonwealths are just regular US States by another name. England was known as the Commonwealth in the period when it was ruled by Oliver Cromwell so the term was associated was republicanism. It's also got a nice "We're all in this together" sound to it. But I think the fact that there are British and American Commonwealths is just a coincidence, if I have understood the question.
                          I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Commonwealth I think in the US (PR) means that they are territories of the US. They are under its protection, currency and AID. They are not a state but have many benefits provided by the US. No need for passport/visa to enter or leave.
                            live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

SOB, you are describing a U.S. Territory (Guam, for example) or Protectorate.
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2758 users online. 150 members and 2608 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X