300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teenagers rights

Hypothetically speaking A teenage girl is told to get in to a police car after the officer accuses her of doing something that she knows she didn't do.Does she have the right to refuse to get in the car until her parents are called?
    Make no mistake about it,you will get caught and you will go to jail!

No. The officer has the same ability to arrest a teenager that he/she has to arrest an adult. If the officer has probable cause to make an arrest and the teen refuses to comply, the teen would be looking at adding resisting arrest to the charges, same as anyone else.

There may or may not be issues regarding questioning and waiver of rights for someone under the age of 18 without a parent present. Different states' courts have ruled different ways on the issue.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

What was the teenage girl accused of doing? Hypothetically speaking of course
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by sheriffsgirl19 View Post
        Hypothetically speaking A teenage girl is told to get in to a police car after the officer accuses her of doing something that she knows she didn't do.Does she have the right to refuse to get in the car until her parents are called?
        That kind of behavior could easily mean the difference between being released to appear to a parent and being lodged in juvenile detention for an extended period of time.

In a nut shell, whether your 16 or 80, the roadside is NOT the place to argue your innocence. That's why we have courts.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Sure....she has the right to refuse, but the officer also has the right to force her into the car and add additional charges for her ignorance.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

The parents only have to be notified AFTER you are taken into custody.

Comment

Teenagers may be allowed to disobey a parent, but they are NOT allowed to disobey an order from a police officer because they think they didnt do anything wrong. That question kind of sums up the mindset of a lot of teenagers.......why would you think you had some special right to not obey a police officer just because you are under 18???

Comment

I may be dating my self a bit, but I remember when the law clearly said an individual had the right to resist and unlawful arrest. Some states may still have laws like that, Michigan changed a few years ago to read no one may resist arrest lawful or unlawful.

Courts a lawyers are designed to weed out nlawful arrests, not teenage girls. Its funny how quickly a momentary stop at the side of the road can turn into an R&O complaint and arrest. Its like going from 0 to 60 in 1 second.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Teenager's Rights.

The post immediately preceeding mine, mentions the right of a citizen to resist an arrest he deems, or knows to be unlawful. I don't have a whole lot of case law in front of me concerning that, but I'll remind you of an old cop axiom. "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride". As a practical matter, any citizen, and that includes a teenager, is best advised to submit to the arrest. The issue of legality, or illegality of the arrest, is a matter for the courts.If the teenager doesn't mind having an additional charge of resisting arrest filed against him/her, then, by all means, refuse to get into the patrol car.

Comment

Ya, try that. It's a great way to turn a civil infraction in to a felony.

Comment

No

Originally posted by sheriffsgirl19 View Post
                      Short answer. NO. It doesn't matter what the juvenile feels she knows what matters is wheter the Officer has P/C and that is determined by the courts and or the juvenile intake who issues the petitions not the acused. Same applies for adults as well. Thats where lawyers get citizens into trouble giving them encouragement not to cooperate with police in any way instead of sticking to giving them advice on self incrimination.
                      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                        I may be dating my self a bit, but I remember when the law clearly said an individual had the right to resist and unlawful arrest. Some states may still have laws like that, Michigan changed a few years ago to read no one may resist arrest lawful or unlawful.

Courts a lawyers are designed to weed out nlawful arrests, not teenage girls. Its funny how quickly a momentary stop at the side of the road can turn into an R&O complaint and arrest. Its like going from 0 to 60 in 1 second.
                        This is ill advice. 99% of the folks we arrest everyday say they didn't do anything wrong. Like others have advised, the attorneys, juries, and judges will decide whether the arrest was unlawful. Doing so on the side of the road will only make the situation worse.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                          Sure....she has the right to refuse, but the officer also has the right to force her into the car and add additional charges for her ignorance.
                          +1111111111111111111111111111111111111111
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                            And then you get to come visit me in our county motel!

Comment

NO... You do what I tell you, or I make you do what I tell you.

Hypothetically speaking....
                              "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3301 users online. 156 members and 3145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X