Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlords and Police Reports

Good evening,
    I did a citizen police academy three years ago and did a ride along. One of the calls we were dispatched to I learned that Landlords don't like Police Reports, why is this? Are they afraid of getting fined by the city? Being held Liable? Or do they just not like dealing with the Police? Thanks.

Depending what jurisdiction you were in, a lot of cities have what’s called Nuisance Abatement. That means depending on how frequently the police have to respond to a property, issues can be declared a nuisance. Whether that’s a specific tenant, building code, fire code, etc. After a certain number of reports, the property owner can be required by the city to correct the issue. If they fail to do so, they can be fined. Ultimately, the city can seize the property and run it as the property manager at a significantly high rate until the owner corrects the issue. Nuisance Abatement is a very useful tool for community policing and crime-free multi-housing. Landlords, or really slumlords, hate it because it requires them to actually manage and maintain their properties. Police reports are the first step in the paper trail.
    Last edited by ThinBlue404; 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
      Good evening,
      I did a citizen police academy three years ago and did a ride along. One of the calls we were dispatched to I learned that Landlords don't like Police Reports, why is this? Are they afraid of getting fined by the city? Being held Liable? Or do they just not like dealing with the Police? Thanks.
      Because landlords resent any potential hurdle between them and their compensation.

Comment

I live in a party city. If the number of nuisance calls to a rental (loud party, loud music, alcohol related, disturbance, etc.) reaches a certain number, the landlord is fined. If the violations continue, fines to the landlord increase tremendously until the landlord is prohibited from renting the property for up to a year and must keep it vacant. Rents here are through the roof and from Memorial Day to Labor Day, things go into Summer Rental Mode and the weekly rent on some places is the same as monthly rent from September through May, so loss of rent for a year can cost a landlord $111,000 and more, depending on how big the apartment or house is and how close it is to the ocean. Needless to say, Landlords don't like any police response to their property, let alone police reports.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
          Good evening,
          The "why" is more important than the fact that a report was written. If the landlord rents to a certain segment of society, they are probably concerned that their property is going to be the object of a nuisance abatement

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4839 users online. 220 members and 4619 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X