Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Story. My chances?

Hello forum!

As you can see by the title of my post I am curious of my chances of becoming a police officer.

I am currently 20 years old approaching my 21st birthday. I am currently going into the fall term of my senior year of college. Currently I have my Bachelors of Science in psychology and a minor in Homeland Security/Community Preparedness. This year I will finish my second degree in Criminal Justice.

Now on to the negative side of my story that really put my chances into question of not impossible. My freshman year of college when I was 18 years old I had got charged with possession of a controlled substance Cocaine.

Here are are the facts surrounding this situation. I purchased the drugs on September 19th 2018. Was reported by a fellow student to a mandatory reporter who later notified the police. The police then came to my house approximately two weeks later. The police officers asked me If I had the drugs and if I would hand them over. As they did not have a search warrant or any reasonable probable cause to search my house. So I went to my room and brought them the bag that had the cocaine residue in it. I was arrested that night on October 4th. I received a conditional discharge. I completed all of my conditions so the charges have since been dismissed.

For more clarity on the situation. I have not since used or used any illegals drugs since September 22nd. I had used cocaine for a week. Nonetheless I still used an illegal substance. No I was not peer-pressured in to doing so and no I didn’t do it not knowing what it was. I knowingly did the drug. I made the choice. I regret doing the drug and letting myself make the decision to do the drug, but I do not regret getting caught. I have learned that drug use is a slippery slope. No matter if your using it to have a good time or what ever reason. Using drugs is like playing with fire. Do it enough and you will get burned. I am not a drug addict. My stint with cocaine lasted about a week. Nonetheless it is still a very terrible drug and I still did it. I have had no desire to even touch any drugs since the arrest, nor have a done any drugs.

Since getting into trouble, I have volunteered over 100 hours working with at risk troubled youth/juveniles. Additionally I have spent every Sunday for the past 2 months helping at a homeless shelter in my town.

In conclusion. I know my chances are more than likely impossible, but they are that way because of MY actions. As for right now my current plan is to wait a few years before applying. I know that time is going to be my biggest clutch in my situation. I know that I will not be able to make this decision of mine go away, but I can certainly take steps I’m the right direction to show that the charge and decision of mine doesn’t reflect who I am as a person.

Before I go I will offer this peace of advice to anyone who wants to be a police officer. If you have never done drugs, DONT. If you have done drugs, STOP. Save yourself from them. They are not worth it in any shape or form.

So, you are were a CJ student and thought cocaine would be a good idea? What is a second Liberal Arts degree do for you that the first one didn't? Your "facts surrounding the situation" are just noise that don't have any bearing on anything. Your volunteer work doesn't balance out your cocaine use.

Comment

Originally posted by AlecWill View Post
      Hello forum!

As you can see by the title of my post I am curious of my chances of becoming a police officer.

I am currently 20 years old approaching my 21st birthday. I am currently going into the fall term of my senior year of college. Currently I have my Bachelors of Science in psychology and a minor in Homeland Security/Community Preparedness. This year I will finish my second degree in Criminal Justice.

Now on to the negative side of my story that really put my chances into question of not impossible. My freshman year of college when I was 18 years old I had got charged with possession of a controlled substance Cocaine.

Here are are the facts surrounding this situation. I purchased the drugs on September 19th 2018. Was reported by a fellow student to a mandatory reporter who later notified the police. The police then came to my house approximately two weeks later. The police officers asked me If I had the drugs and if I would hand them over. As they did not have a search warrant or any reasonable probable cause to search my house. So I went to my room and brought them the bag that had the cocaine residue in it. I was arrested that night on October 4th. I received a conditional discharge. I completed all of my conditions so the charges have since been dismissed.

For more clarity on the situation. I have not since used or used any illegals drugs since September 22nd. I had used cocaine for a week. Nonetheless I still used an illegal substance. No I was not peer-pressured in to doing so and no I didn’t do it not knowing what it was. I knowingly did the drug. I made the choice. I regret doing the drug and letting myself make the decision to do the drug, but I do not regret getting caught. I have learned that drug use is a slippery slope. No matter if your using it to have a good time or what ever reason. Using drugs is like playing with fire. Do it enough and you will get burned. I am not a drug addict. My stint with cocaine lasted about a week. Nonetheless it is still a very terrible drug and I still did it. I have had no desire to even touch any drugs since the arrest, nor have a done any drugs.

Since getting into trouble, I have volunteered over 100 hours working with at risk troubled youth/juveniles. Additionally I have spent every Sunday for the past 2 months helping at a homeless shelter in my town.

In conclusion. I know my chances are more than likely impossible, but they are that way because of MY actions. As for right now my current plan is to wait a few years before applying. I know that time is going to be my biggest clutch in my situation. I know that I will not be able to make this decision of mine go away, but I can certainly take steps I’m the right direction to show that the charge and decision of mine doesn’t reflect who I am as a person.

Before I go I will offer this peace of advice to anyone who wants to be a police officer. If you have never done drugs, DONT. If you have done drugs, STOP. Save yourself from them. They are not worth it in any shape or form.
      That is a CONVICTION of possession of Drugs (Cocaine)

Your choices a year ago will have consequences...................

Your chances will be enhances in 5 to 10 yrs of proven good judgement
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No one uses cocaine for only a week lol

Comment

It’s not going to stop you forever since you’re still young but you would be perm DQ at most departments. Find a career job, work that job for 6-8 years then revisit law enforcement.

Comment

As NorCal said, most hard narcs (cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, etc.) are considered by many departments as an automatic disqualification. I’m glad you’re owning your actions, but that won’t do it. Your situation is further exacerbated by the fact that you were pursuing a degree/career in law enforcement when you used. Surely in all those hours of schooling prior to your use, you discussed illegal narcotics. Their effect and the negative consequences. Willing to bet you even had to take an ethics class. Yet despite all of that, you still decided it was a good idea to use cocaine “for a week.” As I’m sure you know, we operate with a great deal of autonomy in this profession. Integrity, your character, what you do when people aren’t watching is the cornerstone of a law enforcement officer. You have sacrificed that at a very early point. Additionally, we are not talking about prior drug use you are disclosing during a hiring process. We are talking about a criminal charge associated with that drug use, which was likely a felony offense.

Fortunately, you are young and there may be a department down the road willing to take a chance on you. But when you sit down in class today or tomorrow, look to your left and right. That’s your competition, and I’m willing to bet the vast majority of them have kept clean because they too want to be police officers. You may have some intangibles, but you have severely stacked the deck against yourself.

Not trying to beat you down, but simply being realistic about the situation. Again you’re young, you have your whole life ahead of you. Even if you’re not wearing a uniform everyday you can still find a way to make a difference and live a fulfilling life. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Your story doesn't make sense. You were reported by a fellow student who told a 'mandatory reporter' who told the police who then came to your house (not dorm) and asked you if you had any cocaine in your house which you handed over 'a bag with cocaine residue' to and were subsequently arrested for? What was the quantity you handed over? Why did you let them in if they didn't have a warrant or 'reasonable probable cause'

You bought the coke and didn't get arrested until 2 weeks later? No one sits on personal use blow for 2 weeks including the weekends unless they have weight.

None of this adds up. Something else was going on and I'm guessing you were selling it. Otherwise the police would have said "thank you for the information" to the reporter (unless it was a controlled buy) and moved on. Nobody is coming to your house just because you have personal use cocaine where I work.

Your 'volunteer' work... Is that part of your release or volunteering?

If it was a controlled buy you were probably on someone's radar, and again, I'm guessing you were moving product.

Probably unemployable if that's the case.
              Last edited by Saluki89; 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Well see I don’t know the whole story exactly. I know that I was in a dorm room when a girl saw me with the bag. I’m assuming she told her RN (residentially assistant) who are mandatory reporters. From there I don’t know exactly where the information went. Maybe to my campuses public safety. Then to the police. My campus is in a very very small town. So maybe they decided they had the time for this. No I was not selling anything nor have I ever. Also I don’t know the exact amount, but it was held in a tiny bag and gave me about 3-4 uses.

Comment

The only time we go to someone's house two weeks later for anything is if we are bringing a bunch of warrants with us. I find it hard to believe your door got knocked for a little bag of cocaine. There has to be more to this story.

AT LEAST five years to put this problem behind you. But I would say you're a no go for probably 95% of the departments out there.

Comment

Well see I don’t know the whole story exactly. I know that I was in a dorm room when a girl saw me with the bag. I’m assuming she told her RN (residentially assistant) who are mandatory reporters. From there I don’t know exactly where the information went. Maybe to my campuses public safety. Then to the police. My campus is in a very very small town. So maybe they decided they had the time for this. No I was not selling anything nor have I ever. Also I don’t know the exact amount, but it was held in a tiny bag and gave me about 3-4 uses.
                    WELL................if YOU don't know the whole story.......NOBODY does because it's YOUR story.

No such thing as a Mandatory Reporter except for child abuse matters

Your story doesn't smell right
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The residential assistants are older students hired by the school to live in the dorms with the students. They are required to report and behavior that is illegal or goes against the schools rules. All I know is that a girl that was in the room at the time reported it to her RA. From there I don’t know where the information went. All I know is that It ended with me in cuffs on October 4th around 11pm. I was just assuming that the RA told public safety then public safety told the local police as they usually work pretty close with eachother.

Comment

If what you are saying is true then you would have been arrested the day it was reported, not two weeks later. Otherwise all of the evidence could have been disposed of and PC would no longer exist.

You're not telling the entire story.

Comment

I am telling you the entire story. I received the bag of cocaine on September 19th because that is the day my friend who had returned to school. Then the fallowing weekend I believe the 21st I was in a dorm room with a few people before a party. I had the cocaine out. I left for the party. A few hours later a girl said someone in the room had told the RA what I had. Nothing had happened for those following weeks. The. On October 4th after returning from a friends after watching the McGregor And Khabib fight. 2 police officers knocked on my door around 11pm. They told me they knew I had cocaine. They asked me if I could hand it over so they could test it and make sure it is what it is. I gave the first officer the baggy. Meanwhile I was talking to the other officer on my doorstep. The first officer comes back with his test kit showing that it was in fact cocaine. They take me away in cuffs. That is the story. I am not lying or creating a narrative. That is how it happened from my point of view. Again I don’t k ow exactly where the information traveled. No I was not selling and no I did not have a large amount. I used it 4 different times and had just a little left in the bag. That is what I handed to them.

Comment

You've used cocaine 3 or 4 times within the last year. Perm DQ here. You *might* squeak by with one use 10+ yrs ago, though unlikely, but not multiple uses less than a year ago.

I'm curious about previous drug use. Cocaine isn't usually the first drug one tries.
                            Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 09-10-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Ever consider an MSW? You seem to enjoy working w/ certain populations: homeless etc.
                              Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 09-10-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5245 users online. 210 members and 5035 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X