300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and the job

I saw an episode of the Wire the other day and there was a scene where a dude gave two cops on duty a case of beer and they opened a bottle and were drinking it on the side of the road on shift. Obviously this is a television show but is there a rule on if cops can drink on shift like on a lunch break? Just curious.

Dude, Come on..... use some common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Hookem' View Post
      Originally posted by Jeter4MVP
      Why wouldnt they be able to have a beer or 2 with a meal if they were so inclined?

I know that in that recent NYC club case, I know that the undercover had a couple beers, and it was within regulations.
      So is this a matter of common sense or what?

Comment

Uniformed officers should not consume any alcohol while on duty, imagine dealing with a member of the public while smelling of alcohol.

There may be exceptions made for undercover officers.
        If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

Actually, there are departments which still permit officers to drink on duty. Last time I checked, both the NYPD and Boston PD permitted their officers to drink two beers during lunch break. There are also situations, such as undercover or plain-clothes liquor enforcement, where drinking may be permitted.

Most departments I've worked for dictate that an officer cannot have a BAC of over .02 on duty, but the idea of actually drinking on duty (or coming to work after drinking) would never be considered. Personal opinion, it would not only be extremely unprofessional but dangerous.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Rattel View Post
            Uniformed officers should not consume any alcohol while on duty, imagine dealing with a member of the public while smelling of alcohol.

There may be exceptions made for undercover officers.
            And, at least in my agency, the exception is not a couple of undercovers saing, "Hey, let's knock a couple back while we're in there undercover."

It's filling out a request, and sending it up the chain of command, to get specific permission to do it for a specific undercover operation, and demonstrating why it is necessary to the success of the operation.

Comment

Drinking in uniform? BAD IDEA! You're setting yourself up trouble.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

When I started in 1996 I could have a beer with my lunch by policy if I want one. I dont drink anymore, and i believe that wording my have been changed to reflect the fact that people dont like to see cops having a beer.

This was a stupid question. Punch yourself in the face conner.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                  He's a tough-as-nails Marine. He could hurt himself if he did that.

No wait, he's a tough-as-nails Marine. He could take that punch just fine.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Drinking on duty in uniform is never a good thing. That being said, our contract calls for an un-paid meal period. As long as you arefit for duty when you return from meal, there's not much the job can say about drinking on meal.

Comment

Last edited by irishdep; 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                        When I started in 1996 I could have a beer with my lunch by policy if I want one. I dont drink anymore, and i believe that wording my have been changed to reflect the fact that people dont like to see cops having a beer.

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                        He's a tough-as-nails Marine. He could hurt himself if he did that.

No wait, he's a tough-as-nails Marine. He could take that punch just fine.
                        That's good!

Comment

I got as far as... "I saw an episode of the Wire the other day"...then hit the back button
                          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Kind of a funny story...I retired from a So. Cal. dept 2 years ago. I'd been a "motor" the last several years. We would periodically go on "training rides", where we'd take a whole day and put a couple hundred miles on our bikes going pretty much anywhere. On our Lt's last ride prior to HIS retirement, we ended up in some hotter-than-hell place out in the desert. We stopped for lunch. LT orders a beer. ONE beer for the 10 of us. Now, this was big...At least in So. Cal., you NEVER drink on duty (at least in uniform). I think we all handled our one-ounce + OK though.

Comment

Agree with Hookem

Originally posted by Hookem' View Post
                              I know some of the Yankees up north gotta have your lunch beer but not in uniform. Too much liability involved even with two beers. Come on. I know there are probably departments that havent changed that but in uniform? I guess in Va you can still beat your wife on the courthouse steps per the Common Law case laws at a certain hour but not drink on duty in the Uniform. Off duty at a ball or in an undercover capacity sure but not on duty. You have to have a clear head when you drive cars over 100mph, have a greater chance of using your firearm and more importantly than all of those reasons, take away another persons liberty in your job performance while reeking of alcahol? Never. Keep up North along with the liberals..JK guys...dont freak on me...
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5763 users online. 329 members and 5434 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X