300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Property Towing Question-- California II

I found out a couple of weeks ago that civilians are not allowed to ask questions in someone else's Ask a Cop thread so here is my question regarding the thread on towing from apartment complexes in CA.

1 - What if it is a situation where the car is registered but it is parked in a lot with signs clearly stating that the lot is only for residents of the apartment complex? Can it be legally towed?

Our lot is often filled with non-resident cars but the mgt tells us it's illegal for them to be towed.

2 - What if a car seems to have been towed unjustly but the towing company refuses to let the towed party know who signed for the tow?

My neighbor had her car towed from our complex supposedly for not properly displaying her resident sticker. Managment claims to have never signed for it (because they believe towing is illegal as stated above). The company will not say who did.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Towing from Private Property can be relatively easy. Management must post signs warning of the restrictions and consequences; cite the appropriate vehicle code section; list the mucinipal ordinance; list the telephone number for the police; sign the removal slip and pay the tow (they can recover).

References: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22658.htm
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous View Post
      I found out a couple of weeks ago that civilians are not allowed to ask questions in someone else's Ask a Cop thread so here is my question regarding the thread on towing from apartment complexes in CA.

1 - What if it is a situation where the car is registered but it is parked in a lot with signs clearly stating that the lot is only for residents of the apartment complex? Can it be legally towed?

Our lot is often filled with non-resident cars but the mgt tells us it's illegal for them to be towed.

Yes...cars can legally be removed from private property if it is for residents/tenants only.

2 - What if a car seems to have been towed unjustly but the towing company refuses to let the towed party know who signed for the tow?

My neighbor had her car towed from our complex supposedly for not properly displaying her resident sticker. Managment claims to have never signed for it (because they believe towing is illegal as stated above). The company will not say who did.
      The second issue will be an issue for small claims court( it is technically a crime if they removed it without permission, but good luck getting the DA to do anything with it). The tow company needs to have a representative from the property owner authorize the tow so if they will not show proof and the property owner claims it was not authorized it sounds like a good case.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4794 users online. 265 members and 4529 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X