300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont PD background investigation. 2019

I'm new here so please bare with me. I applied to the FPD in July 2019 and was contacted VIA email that they want to move forward with my application. they sent me to test and I passed. 71% video, 86% reading, 96% writing. now I'm moving forward in the interview process on Aug 26th. I have been working in construction (union) for 15 years. I have only worked for 2 companies in my career and no gap of employment, I always had a job. I'm currently a superintendent and now want to join law enforcement. I'm a professional fighter for the last 10 years as well, I didn't finish college but I have 37 semester units, with a GED. I was a young dad.
    my fear is this I'm 34 yr old. I have a wife and 3 children and own a home, but when I was 18 (2004) I stole a car with friends and was caught, charged and convicted with a felony. in 2018 I was able to get the felony dropped to a misdemeanor and expunged. but between 2006- 2011 I was irresponsible young man and was caught 3 time and have 3 misdemeanor for a suspended license. It started from having a speeding ticket then not paying the ticket then was suspended for not taking care of it. but fear of losing my Job as a construction worker I didn't wasn't to take time off to go to court to answer for the mess I was in so I took the chance and was caught 2 more time though the years given. however 2011 was the last time I was ever pulled over and with my recored I have the above charges. I never did drugs ( believe me or not) as I always tried to take care of my body as I was a athlete since I was in school. I have no domestic or drug related arrest. but for the suspended license and the old felony that is it.

now I have no felony, I was able to obtain a FFL from the ATF and have a small gun store on the side. Im also a CCW holder here in California which is hard to get but I have one. with the information above could any officer help me with some truth on my chances to be a officer my self if I continue with this path.

I have a strong leadership mindset but also a compassionate person. Is my experience in martial arts a well trade for law enforcement ? is my background going to give me issues. I have nothing to lose here I make 140k with a great retirement plan but I am simply not fulfilled in my line of work. Now I'm an older man who wants to do different I'm my life and be in a fulfillment career

sorry for the long message.

Your felony vehicle theft offense will probably prevent you from ever getting a job in law enforcement.

It's not what you were able to get your felony reduced to, nor is it that you were able to get your offense expunged.

What matters is what you actually did. And what you did is incompatible with this profession. All the other criminal offenses just add to your challenges.

Comment

• MMAAKA
      MMAAKA commented
      Editing a comment
      I openly added the above in my application. did not withhold any of it. in fact I went and did a live scan to get my complete recored to make sure I didn't miss anything. so with all that said I was still called to continue.

Originally posted by MMAAKA View Post
    I'm new here so please bare with me. I applied to the FPD in July 2019 and was contacted VIA email that they want to move forward with my application. they sent me to test and I passed. 71% video, 86% reading, 96% writing. now I'm moving forward in the interview process on Aug 26th. I have been working in construction (union) for 15 years. I have only worked for 2 companies in my career and no gap of employment, I always had a job. I'm currently a superintendent and now want to join law enforcement. I'm a professional fighter for the last 10 years as well, I didn't finish college but I have 37 semester units, with a GED. I was a young dad.
    my fear is this I'm 34 yr old. I have a wife and 3 children and own a home, but when I was 18 (2004) I stole a car with friends and was caught, charged and convicted with a felony. in 2018 I was able to get the felony dropped to a misdemeanor and expunged. but between 2006- 2011 I was irresponsible young man and was caught 3 time and have 3 misdemeanor for a suspended license. It started from having a speeding ticket then not paying the ticket then was suspended for not taking care of it. but fear of losing my Job as a construction worker I didn't wasn't to take time off to go to court to answer for the mess I was in so I took the chance and was caught 2 more time though the years given. however 2011 was the last time I was ever pulled over and with my recored I have the above charges. I never did drugs ( believe me or not) as I always tried to take care of my body as I was a athlete since I was in school. I have no domestic or drug related arrest. but for the suspended license and the old felony that is it.

now I have no felony, I was able to obtain a FFL from the ATF and have a small gun store on the side. Im also a CCW holder here in California which is hard to get but I have one. with the information above could any officer help me with some truth on my chances to be a officer my self if I continue with this path.

I have a strong leadership mindset but also a compassionate person. Is my experience in martial arts a well trade for law enforcement ? is my background going to give me issues. I have nothing to lose here I make 140k with a great retirement plan but I am simply not fulfilled in my line of work. Now I'm an older man who wants to do different I'm my life and be in a fulfillment career

sorry for the long message.
    You have a felony arrest and conviction. You are not going to be a cop in any jurisdiction that I am familiar with .

As stated in the above post..............the fact that you had your conviction expunged has no meaning in a law enforcement employment hiring process.

You WILL be asked questions like
    "Have you ever been arrested"..........................'If so, what were you arrested for"
    "Have you ever been convicted" ........................." If so what was the conviction for"
    "List ALL contacts you have had with law enforcement and the reasons for those contacts"

Your answers to those questions will be fatal for a LE career
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      ...and lying to those questions would be even worse. Keep in mind that lying to the police, especially in writing, is an arrestable criminal offense in many states. It's one thing to not get a job, but it's an entirely different thing to get arrested in the process.

thanks for the feed back. I did for get to add that I did openly admit this on the application. when the question was asked HAVE YOU EVER BEEN....
    I answered YES and put the explanation.
    and openly added the misdemeanors as well

Comment

Originally posted by MMAAKA View Post
      thanks for the feed back. I did for get to add that I did openly admit this on the application. when the question was asked HAVE YOU EVER BEEN....
      I answered YES and put the explanation.
      and openly added the misdemeanors as well
      Really? This surprises me and I've never seen it before but if you've been advised that they are proceeding w/ your application despite the conviction, go for it. Otherwise I would agree with my colleagues. All they can do is say no.

Comment

• MMAAKA
        MMAAKA commented
        Editing a comment
        yes I figured I just openly say it from the get and have no issues later on the application. I just finished the PHQ they sent me and in there I once again in detail that I took from a livescan put as my answers to the best of my knowledge.

Keep moving forward until the department says no. There is always a chance that a former car thief can get hired: https://www.mercurynews.com/2008/07/...asting-legacy/

I didn’t work for SJPD, but through friends there, remember Dave Newman as a legend, the absolute pinnacle of what a cop should be. Note that the article describes him as a prolific car thief in his teens, albeit that was in the 60s.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• MMAAKA
        MMAAKA commented
        Editing a comment
        great article. I think its something to always keep in mind. however I know this is from the 60 and times changed but in the end I know its up in the air till I get the big NO. and ill try again down the line.

A lot is going to depend on how your felony incident was processed in the courts.

Any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Cal. Govt Code §1029(a)]. With few exceptions, this prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside. It may also apply to any convictions that were subsequently reduced to a misdemeanor occurring on or after January 1, 2004.

Had you been a juvenile at the time, things might have been a little different. Proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under GC §1029 unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an adult. Therefore,
      juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer. However, the conduct surrounding the offense will certainly be considered as part of the overall background.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5025 users online. 205 members and 4820 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X