300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Police?

What are your guys' thoughts on this article? I just came across it and don't know what to think so thought I'd ask you. I work as security at my church, and, besides watching cameras, I dont know why they'd want a police force besides to, well, have it. All comments welcome!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aw/1525124001/

DC already has a church police department. Sounds like they're going to be a police force that operates on the property and will help with traffic control duties on Sundays
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Ok. Didn't know about that. I always thought that private police departments were just legally overstepping security companies. They still kinda give me the creeps because they don't report to the town or state, but to, well, a private entity. Thank you for your input!

Comment

I live in a state that allows for private police with limited authority, specific to a couple of big malls, a few big hospitals, and a couple of big industrial complexes. This church force seems about the same arrangement.

And is it any different than bible colleges with police departments? Moody College in Chicago has it's own PD, and even requires officers to sign a statement of faith as a condition of employment, which I question is constitutional, but whatever. I guess private employers can use religion as a weed out factor....

https://www.moody.edu/about/reports-...public-safety/

Liberty College also has a PD, but if you read this article by a former student, evidently it also serves as muscle for Jerry Falwell Jr....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...rump-politics/
        Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Statements of faith for religious organizations have been legal per the USSC.

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          I get that. And I understand why a bible college might frown upon an officer wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt after a shift. I just have a hard time coming to terms with an employer, especially a public safety employer, requiring officers maintain a set of beliefs as a condition of employment. I guess that's why I don't work for Moody Bible College Department of Public Safety....

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          Church security is a HUGE growth industry right now, btw. I work with a doofus who started his own side hustle 'consulting' business re: how to deal with active shooter situations. His biggest customers are churches, and they are more than happy to pay $1500 of parishioner money for his three hour dog and pony show....

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          They're not considered a "public" agency in the sense of how we view police. They're a private organization given police authority to preform on the property. They still have to meet the state standards but ultimately, the hiring organization can determine any extra standards have to be meet.

As you state, religious organizations are using private security for jobs and are paying quite well. Here in Pennsylvania, in the major metro areas, several synagogues and churches are paying $25/hr for armed security officers with prior law enforcement or military experience. Just armed security w/o or limited experience are paying between $15-20 and unarmed security between $10-15/hr. I know several retired folks who do it for extra cash.

Ok. I thought only huge colleges could have PDs. All we have In my state is big security companies that use a state statute that says they may do police work for towns such as pulling people over, etc. But they dont have red/blues, they have amber. Kind of a mess. But thanks for the info and input!

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you please quote said law?

• PDExplorer2048
          PDExplorer2048 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure here it is: Chapter 38.01 specifically states that:
          (c) The society may contract with the sheriff, local municipality, or security guard service as defined
          in section 626.88 to provide the society with police service.
          So, a security company may operate with the local authorities to police here in MN.

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          I read several cases. The security firms who patrol the cities are not police officers, have no law enforcement authority nor can they even detain law breakers. Several in the twin cities have been cited for using lights restricted by law.

• PDExplorer2048
          PDExplorer2048 commented
          Editing a comment
          I dunno, I just read the law...

I’m sure there’s more to it than that. Private security can not enforce public laws without severe restrictions. Who transports? Who books? Do they have an ORI? If not, they ain’t the PoPo.

What is a “society”?
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Who pulls over for amber lights? That's the color used by waste disposal trucks in my state...

The issue of private police has been discussed on other threads. The number of fully private departments with full police authority is very few. Excluding railroad police agencies, I have only personally seen one in my ventures, a private resort community in Oregon:

https://www.blackbutteranchpolice.com/

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

• AtlCop
            AtlCop commented
            Editing a comment
            Hilton Head Island has multiple departments. Most of the gated resorts have armed guards with full law enforcement authority. They have marked security vehicles with blue lights that pull people over. The town of Hilton Head's website even warns visitors that they have full law enforcement authority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...Special_Police

Comment

I've never heard of the SF Special Police. I learned something new today.

From their website:

Formed in 1847 by merchants to combat the insurgence of Barbary Coast outlaws, the Patrol Special Police was incorporated into the city’s charter in 1856.

All I can surmise is because they've been around since 1847, and were incorporated in the city charter in 1856, they fall in the "odd relic" category....

-Bono

Comment

I dunno what goes on and how it works. I do know of one private police department in Virginia (Manassas Junction, LLC), and I know there are others, all with full rights. As for MN, I imagine that that was written for small communities that couldn't afford a PD, so they contract security to "patrol" now and then. Anyway, thanks to you all for your imput!

Comment

The Specials area whole ‘nother problem. They are basically super security guards with limited police powers ON THEIR BUSINESS DISTRICT beat.

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  The Specials area whole ‘nother problem. They are basically super security guards with limited police powers ON THEIR BUSINESS DISTRICT beat.

Comment

Pennsylvania has a private patrolman's act. Basically it grants police authority to private agencies through the court of Common Pleas. Most require a law enforcement background and training but some of them only require certification under Act 235 which is our lethal weapons training act which allows private security to be armed.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

But what does Alabama law say about private schools having their own Police departments? I know several states allow private schools such. California just passed a law allowing private colleges to have their own Police department if they have a MOU with the local Police department or Sheriff Department.
                      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Private entities with their own police departments are not unusual. I imagine that their jurisdiction will be limited to property that the church owns or controls. The key with a department like that is finding the right people for that type of job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5014 users online. 206 members and 4808 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X