Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from Fed LEO to local/state.

Good morning all,

Has anyone ever heard of a federal LEO (USSS UD, CBP, BPA, HSI) switch to a state or local agency? Would the hiring authorities give any preference to them already having LEO training? Depending on the federal agency, I would assume most would need to go their own academy.

Thanks

I've never heard of anyone doing it. The training would not transfer, so no preference would be given for it.

Comment

I have seen it happen, including a former FBI SA. It depends on the State you are going to. California does not recognize the “training” so you have to attend a full Academy (maybe the times have changed?)

Certainly in regards to hiring, you are typically treated like a lateral.

But again, it depends on the agency and the state.
      semper destravit

Comment

Every state is different, but the common factor will be meeting a state's required training and certification requirements. I am not aware of any reciprocal recognition of federal training (FLETC, FBI, USSS, or any other training program). If one makes the change one may expect to be required to start out in an academy program prior to certification, and no seniority or retirement benefit programs will be transferable.

You may have some training or experience that might be valuable to a local agency, but any thoughts about transferring "in grade" or as a "lateral" are likely to be mistaken.

There are very few exceptions to this. You may have completed a sterling career with a federal agency, but when you join a city or state agency you will start out as a rookie, and you will have to work your way up via civil service examinations and job performance ratings.

Please don't forget that practically no state or local agencies offer the types of retirement or benefit plans that most federal agencies offer, and none of your prior federal service will count toward ultimate retirement. You will be starting over from scratch,.

Comment

We have a member on the forum who was a local, went tot he FED, and decided he hated it and came back to local LE. I don't think he is posting nowdays
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's not uncommon for officers to leave uniformed federal law enforcement in the D.C. area to enter local law enforcement. You would be considered a lateral who could possibly attend comparative compliance training, depending on an audit of your federal training and the policies of the local agency.
            John from Maryland

Comment

Some states like Florida, North Carolina, Dakotas , Missouri, offer condensed courses (LE certifications) for prior military and Federal LEOs.
              As for "special preferences' in hiring, not so much in CA at least. It would depend on other local/state agencies.

Comment

I know a few ex USSS UD who went local in the DC area and in Pa.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Plenty of people leave jobs for better pay, benefits and quality of life. In NYS its all civil service, no preferences to prior or active LEO regardless of agency. My department has a very good salary. We have had officers from across the nation join our department to include Air Marshals, Secret Service, ATF, US Park Police, Postal Inspectors, pretty much every agency with the exception of the FBI. They must do a great job of brain washing those guys.

Comment

Thx for the input all.

Comment

I've seen fed leos go state or local several times. The usual motivation? Boredom. Often they start as a local, then jump to a federal agency thinking the grass is greener, only to discover they miss the juice. Then it's back to a local agency.

The exception are 1811s.... they generally don't walk away from GS13 gigs just because they want more action.

There are HUGE differences between agencies and departments and everyone has different motivations and frustrations. Success in one place may not translate to success at another. Like my grandmother used to say, "There's a lid for every pot."

I've said it before, and it will never happen, but wouldn't it be nice if there were national standards when it came to recognition of prior training? I offer up Washington State as an example of how goofy the current set up is... notice how they accept BP academy graduates prior to 2010, but not after? Wha the fa?

https://www.cjtc.wa.gov/docs/default...rsn=2736a9c5_2

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

• Calitown
                        Calitown commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the link, that is interesting.

• Exbpa340
                        Exbpa340 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can comment on the BP academy. Sometime around 2010 (or a few years before) the Border Patrol academy was watered down to 13 weeks if you tested out of Spanish. This easier academy allowed people to graduate that would have never made it through under prior standards.

Recently (January of 2018 or 2019) the BP academy was revamped and improved. It is now 24 weeks and superior to even the old school academy in many ways with the exception being the Spanish curriculum.

California does not accept any federal law enforcement training at all. Any FLEOs wishing to go local in CA have to redo academy again.

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
                        orlandofed5-0 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is incorrect. I did the BCW for CA Post in 2007

I've seen it a few times, usually it's uniformed folks, rarely 1811s. Most don't take a federal academy

Comment

Originally posted by CGK0311 View Post
                        Good morning all,

Has anyone ever heard of a federal LEO (USSS UD, CBP, BPA, HSI) switch to a state or local agency? Would the hiring authorities give any preference to them already having LEO training? Depending on the federal agency, I would assume most would need to go their own academy.

Thanks
                        Some might count the experience but they wouldn't count the training... just like the feds won't accept a state academy.

Most I expect would count it the same way they see military service or other employment.

notice how they accept BP academy graduates prior to 2010, but not after?
                        The curriculum changed.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4834 users online. 183 members and 4651 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X