300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forearm Tattoos

Just got out of the military and about to take the civil service exam for police, and corrections. I do have multiple forearm tattoos visible in short-sleeves on both arms. I’m just curious how badly this may hurt my chances in the long run. However, It wouldn’t bother me if I just had to cover them up in a long sleeve or something like that. Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any and all answers and advice!

It depends on the particular agency. Ask the agency or agencies you want to apply with.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor13116 View Post
      Just got out of the military and about to take the civil service exam for police, and corrections. I do have multiple forearm tattoos visible in short-sleeves on both arms. I’m just curious how badly this may hurt my chances in the long run. However, It wouldn’t bother me if I just had to cover them up in a long sleeve or something like that. Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any and all answers and advice!
      Some places will say absolutely not, others will make you cover them, still others won't care.

Comment

Yes, some will make you cover them up, and some will not care. Others will require every officer to wear the standard uniform for the time of year, so no deviations will be allowed.

When I joined the cops (1972) any tattoos that were visible when wearing the uniform (long-sleeve or short-sleeve) were disqualifying. Much has changed in the last 47 years, and I regularly see officers with visible tattoos these days. I suspect that the subject or topic matter of the tattoos might be a determining factor (profanity, sexual implications, violent content, whatever).

Other than very expensive, scarring, and potentially painful tattoo removal processes your options are limited to being upfront with what you bring to the table during the hiring process. Some hiring authorities may turn up their noses. Some may not care.

Couple of weeks ago one of my grandchildren showed up at the house, complete with boyfriend and baby and second baby gestating, with tattoos on just about every visible parts of their bodies. I hugged her, I kissed her, I put them up in a hotel for a couple of days, and I waved goodbye when they went away in search of another place to live.

I am a two-tour Vietnam veteran (US Army, Combat Infantryman Badge, Paratrooper, Pathfinder, Bronze Star w/V, Army Commendation Medal w/V, 4 awards of the Purple Heart, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, and other foo-foo to wear on Veterans Day). I could have had every square inch of my body tatted up for a couple of bucks and a carton of Marlboros. I understand the culture and the processes, as well as the peer pressures, but I never felt even a small urge to join in the games.

I'm also a retired police chief (hiring authority) with a strong aversion to body art. Some things just don't fit the image (in my estimation). Given a choice between one candidate with clean-cut home-grown appearances and another with full sleeve tattoos, all other things being equal, I would select the clean-cut candidate.

Funny how every decision we make in life seems to affect every other decision we are ever faced with.

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
          Zeitgeist1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow retired, I'm impressed.4 Purple Hearts, BSM w/ V device? Outstanding. Glad you made it home.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

Some places will say absolutely not, others will make you cover them, still others won't care.
        This is your answer. Every department you will apply to will have its own policy, so find out what it is before you waste your time showing up for the test

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4835 users online. 183 members and 4652 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X