300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW .. for a trucker

I have pondered a CCW from Ohio .... there are many states that will honor that permit.

My concern ...... I travel a lot in this semi ... into states that do not either have a CCW, or honor Ohio's permit.

There are no federal regulations that prohibit this .... what I am wondering ...

If I had a lock box installed in the truck, in a location not acessible to me in a timely manner, and the weapon stored it away in that box, when I enter YOUR jurisdiction, where the CCW is not allowed .. would I be subject to arrest and prosocution? Hell, I know the answer to that ....

I guess I'm wondering, in the event a search of my truck was deemed needed, would the contents of the locked box be revealed also?

I'm trying to figure which is more prudent ... not have the weapon, when it may be needed ... or .... suffer the consequence if it is discovered..... guideance anyone?
    Monty ..

Over the road trucker for 38 years .. married to police officer for 30 years. (And she hasn't shot me yet .. but there was that time with the cuffs ... )

It seems you're looking for either some form of "permission" to carry concealed in your truck or trying to get us to weigh the odds on whether or not you would be caught if you violated CCW laws. Quite frankly, no matter what personal opinions you might find on here regarding the CCW debate, I don't think you're going to find many officer who are going to give you either any form of justification nor will you find help in violating the law.

You've made it clear that you already know that, depending on your location, you could be in violation of state or local firearms laws. Just like every other law written, it's your decision whether or not you decide to follow that law or violate it. If you decide to violate it, be prepaired to deal with the legal consequences.

By the way, it actually IS illegal to transport a loaded firearm across state lines.

United States Codes ( USC )
    Title 1 Crimes and Criminal Procedures
    Chapter 44 Firearms
    Section 926A
    "Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Other than that, there's not much more advice I can give you.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
      It seems you're looking for either some form of "permission" to carry concealed in your truck or trying to get us to weigh the odds on whether or not you would be caught if you violated CCW laws. Quite frankly, no matter what personal opinions you might find on here regarding the CCW debate, I don't think you're going to find many officer who are going to give you either any form of justification nor will you find help in violating the law.

You've made it clear that you already know that, depending on your location, you could be in violation of state or local firearms laws. Just like every other law written, it's your decision whether or not you decide to follow that law or violate it. If you decide to violate it, be prepaired to deal with the legal consequences.

By the way, it actually IS illegal to transport a loaded firearm across state lines.

Other than that, there's not much more advice I can give you.
      I think you need to re-read his post which I thout was clear and consie.

He wants to obtain a CCW in Ohio where he lives. Then when traveling he will lock the gun up per Federal and/or State guidelines before he enters a State that he is not authorized to be CCW in.

To the original poster. I suggest you also obtain a Utah CCW permit which can be obtained by non-residents. You will then add many other States that you will be CCW authorized in.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Comment

This site will reveal to you the states that will honor Ohio's CCW permits.

http://www.packing.org/state/ohio/

If you note, there are a lot that do not. From my vantage point, you have the right idea; but, it kind of defeats the need for CCW. I have experienced many driver's carrying when I was on the road and my enforcement actions against them were predicated on their personal conduct and driving. For the most part, they were all cited for unlawful possession or CCW without permit.

I would suggest you DO NOT carry during your interstate travels - your company or lessor may not approve.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker View Post
          There are no federal regulations that prohibit this .... what I am wondering ...
          You better check that again. It is actually illegal carry a firearm in a commercial truck, crossing state lines.

As a former truck driver, I know what it feels like to be sleeping at some of the rest stops with no means of self defense, but you can not have a weapon in the truck. Not in the sleeper, not in a locked box...no where.
          "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Thanks guys ... I appreciate the input ... I'm not even sure I actually want a weapon on the truck. (Which, btw, I own, so no company rules), just wanted the input to see if it was worth the effort ....

I figured I could always stop in Rock Springs, Wy and go plinking rodents with an ex state trooper!
            Monty ..

Over the road trucker for 38 years .. married to police officer for 30 years. (And she hasn't shot me yet .. but there was that time with the cuffs ... )

Comment

Signal .. quote the reg concerning commerical vehicles please? I can not find such a regulation in FMCSA ..... can you?
              Monty ..

Comment

Signal .. quote the reg concerning commerical vehicles please? I can not find such a regulation in FMCSA ..... can you?

You may wish to read some of these which were posted in LAND LINE MAGAZINE the Business Magazine for Professional Truckers:

http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/...hronicles.html

http://www.landlinemag.com/Search/se...=0&zoom_sort=0
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I have pondered a CCW from Ohio .... there are many states that will honor that permit.

My concern ...... I travel a lot in this semi ... into states that do not either have a CCW, or honor Ohio's permit.

If I had a lock box installed in the truck, in a location not acessible to me in a timely manner, and the weapon stored it away in that box, when I enter YOUR jurisdiction, where the CCW is not allowed .. would I be subject to arrest and prosocution? Hell, I know the answer to that ....

I guess I'm wondering, in the event a search of my truck was deemed needed, would the contents of the locked box be revealed also?

I'm trying to figure which is more prudent ... not have the weapon, when it may be needed ... or .... suffer the consequence if it is discovered..... guideance anyone?
                  If you have to come into Canada, check your gun at the DHS-CBP post before coming across, or just don't bother coming across. If the Canadian Border Security Agency decides to search your truck, you will soon be parted from your truck for a little while and from your gun forever. Then you and I may have to have a little chat and take a ride together.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by signal1 View Post
                    You better check that again. It is actually illegal carry a firearm in a commercial truck, crossing state lines.
                    There is no FMCS regs prohibiting a commercial driver from carrying a firearm.
                    Guys often get confused when they read the hazmat regs and assume those apply to a firearm in the cab. They don't. The hazmat regs apply to the cargo. A firearm is a driver's personal gear, not cargo.
                    Drivers have to comply with state law in whatever state they are driving.
                    I was 1 of 2 of the first Troops in IL to be certified as MCS officers in 1982. In addition I taught MCS at the academy for a while.
                    183 FBINA

Comment

Thanks for the links Sgt .... of course they were in California where it is illegal to begin with, and I do believe I would have resolved the situation differently .... had I felt truly threatened by the actions of the pickup truck, it would have been parked in the ditch as I moved by.

Also, Signal, from the links provided, there is this information from OOIDA.

“Can I carry a gun in my truck” is one of the most frequently asked questions we get. Here’s the truth: According to the U.S. Constitution, you have the right to bear arms and there’s no rule in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) prohibiting you from carrying a gun in your truck. But, depending on what state you’re driving in, you may not be able to legally carry a gun in your tractor. Remember, simply having a concealed gun permit in your home state doesn’t exempt you from all other state laws.
                      http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/...ns_trucks.html

And it's those pesky, ( ) state laws that seem to get in the way!
                      Last edited by Trucker; 05-06-2007, 01:57 PM. Reason: Correct bb code
                      Monty ..

Comment

Just keep your "tire tester" handy.

In this day and age of cell phones with GPS locators and other such gadgets, you can summon help from just about anywhere, and have help arrive real quick. Carrying a firearm in an OTR truck, you're just asking for more trouble than what can come along on it's own accord anymore.

I personally know a lot of truckers, and have heard some "horror stories" about some terminals, drop points, and even truck stops. I figure rather than risk my hide, I'd get on down the road a ways, call the company and tell them if they want that load bad enough, either take some action to provide for my safety while on their property, or I'd drop that trailer right where I am, and they can have their shag driver come and get it!

Now if they can only invent "lot lizard" repellant!
                        Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

You can carry across state lines in a commercial truck, as some have stated.

Are you a veteran or do you have any NRA pistol training certificates? If so, you can send your paperwork to Florida for a non-resident permit which is honored in quite a few states.

I would highly recommend you research www.packing.org as to the rules and regs of states you will be passing through.

As for states that don't have CCW or won't honor your permit, some have a "peacable journey" law that will let you carry through their jurisdiction as long as you are just passing through and are not stopping.

Some states don't have CCW, or don't for all practical purposes. Kansas, as an example, will only issue to those with a Private Investigator's license. They do have a rule that would allow you to do your locked box idea while passing through: "A new law the governor signed 4/16/05 makes it legal to carry a firearm anywhere in the state as long as it's unloaded and in an enclosed container" (source: http://www.packing.org/state/kansas/#statecar_law)

Just do your research and take care.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                            There is no FMCS regs prohibiting a commercial driver from carrying a firearm.
                            Guys often get confused when they read the hazmat regs and assume those apply to a firearm in the cab. They don't. The hazmat regs apply to the cargo. A firearm is a driver's personal gear, not cargo.
                            Drivers have to comply with state law in whatever state they are driving.
                            I was 1 of 2 of the first Troops in IL to be certified as MCS officers in 1982. In addition I taught MCS at the academy for a while.
                            Thanks for that info. I have always heard Over the road truckers could not carry, but could never find the information.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6776 users online. 364 members and 6412 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X