Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with the stresses of being a police officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ateamer
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

I find yoga immensely beneficial. 10 minutes into a Bikram yoga class you're sweating too much to think about work.
    I do the same thing. Pretty much any outdoor activity here in south Florida is a Bikram session. Yardwork, walking, and hitting the gym (no A/C) when it’s 90 degrees and 80%+ humidity keeps me in great shape.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Family...friends...faith. Definitely hang up the vest in the locker, leave everything in there and do what you enjoy doing outside of work. Don't make it your life. It's a job! I learned that recently. I will say this though: the best part of my job is my co-workers and backing each other up. We're pretty proactive when we're not super busy responding to calls. We like to engage the community and play basketball, football with the younger kids. That stuff makes my job more enjoyable.

We're not going to change the world but who says we can't try to change one person's view of the police. Some might call me naive but that's what gets me through the day. Oh and you better have thick skin and not take things personal because if you think a marked squad car, the uniform, the star (badge) means anything to some people you are sadly mistaken. We've had squad cars shot at recently, in crossfire and bricked so just to be clear I understand where I work and you always have to be aware of that but have an outlet and the police department has resources for those that need it.
    Last edited by southpaw1; 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Originally posted by emtguy89 View Post
    "Fulfill marital duties and obligations"
    Yes. Really enthusiastic "wife cardio" is a great stress reliever.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
    2. Meditation - OK, before you assume I'm some woo-wooey Millenial or Gen-Zer fresh out of the academy, I've been on the job for almost 20 years and gray hairs well outnumber the colored ones on balding head. I started 15-20 minute daily meditations a couple of years ago after I saw my wife benefit from the practice. There's some pretty solid science behind it, and I definitely feel the positive effects.
    I find yoga immensely beneficial. 10 minutes into a Bikram yoga class you're sweating too much to think about work.

Leave a comment:

• Decided
    commented on 's reply
    The administrators aren't the problem for me, the line supervisors on that particular shift were. That shift is a revolving door for both new officers and new supervisors. There is much more experience on day shift at my agency and things are handled more appropriately.
    Last edited by Decided; 08-01-2019, 03:05 PM.

• Bing_Oh
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And for supervisors .................it's those they supervise
    Those of us in first line supervision get the best of both worlds...stress from above AND below!

• Bing_Oh
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by Decided View Post
    ...and by putting in a transfer to day shift. Most of the stress (in my opinion) within law enforcement comes from who's supervising you.
    Then why would you want to go to the shift that's populated by administrators?

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    And for supervisors .................it's those they supervise

• Decided
    replied
    I dealt with it by going to the gym and by putting in a transfer to day shift. Most of the stress (in my opinion) within law enforcement comes from who's supervising you.

Leave a comment:

• emtguy89
    replied
    "Fulfill marital duties and obligations"...also sleep, video games, travel, movies, TV, etc. I don't feel like the job gives me a lot of stress...to me it's fun, not work. But I keep a drawer full of undated apps to other agencies in case admin wants to crap on my head.

Leave a comment:

• orangebottle
    replied
    Lots of good advice already...a couple I'll add:

1. Regular exercise - I don't do triathlons or 'get swole', I simply try to spend at least 4-5 days a week getting a mix of cardio, strength, and flexibility exercises. When I occasionally experience a gap in my workouts, I can physically feel the effects of job stress building up (most often in my shoulders and upper back) and I get grumpier. When I get back to the exercising, the problems go away.

2. Meditation - OK, before you assume I'm some woo-wooey Millenial or Gen-Zer fresh out of the academy, I've been on the job for almost 20 years and gray hairs well outnumber the colored ones on balding head. I started 15-20 minute daily meditations a couple of years ago after I saw my wife benefit from the practice. There's some pretty solid science behind it, and I definitely feel the positive effects.

Leave a comment:

• Martial_Law
    replied
    Have a LIFE outside of the job and don't use the profession as an identity. Be YOU! Spend time with your non-cop friends and family. Find hobbies outside of the department. Travel! Don't take the B.S. home, and you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• CompanyMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NW121 View Post
    Leave work at work...
    This is a big one. Being a cop is your job, there's no reason it has to be your entire life. When you're off, allow yourself to be off and leave the stress at work where it belongs. Way to many people bring this job home with them.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

They are not supposed to know about each other
    New question: How do you deal with the stress of wife finding out about girlfriend... asking for a friend.

As an aside, sense of humor helps. Chief still doesn't know who super glued her coffee mug to her desk....

...there's also living dangerously. If you're freaked out about dying or being fired, the job stress isn't so bad.

Leave a comment:

• westside popo
    replied
    Sleep in when I can and watch a lot of comedies on TV or YouTube when I have the time.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7997 users online. 383 members and 7614 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X