Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has being a police officer affected you mentality?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has being a police officer affected you mentality?

How has being a police officer affected you mentality?

It makes me feel FABULOUS

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't need my job to make me feel fabulous- that's what I have alcohol for...

It took me an active effort to "turn it down/off" for the first two years. I surrounded myself with many senior deputies and officers from other agencies that gave me tips and tricks to slowly wind it down so I wasn't constantly feeling like I was high alert.

Rules my wife and I have that I live by:

1. If my flat badge is going w/ me, so is either my personal gun or department issue
    2. Kids/wifey know if daddy has his gun, his gun hand is off limits at times.
    3. I've learned that first and foremost off duty officer safety is truly meant for MY FAMILY, not me per say. If stuff goes down it is critical/paramount I get them out of the area as safe and as fast as possible.
    4. when off duty accept being a "good witness" and know that "getting involved" is ideally a stupid idea.
    5. I do keep a list of places "not to eat" or if I must then I have to be able to watch my food being made. I've busted MANY people for drugs/DUIs/domestics that work at places my squads and I have used as a break. It truly sucks to pay for your food, look over and make eye contact w/ someone you've busted or your partner's busted and immediately you cringe knowing there is a chance they could tamper w/ your food.
    6. I sit away from doors and make sure my back isn't to glass or a doorway regardless of in uniform or civvies. My wife had the hardest time adapting to this when we'd be out with or without kids.
    7. My kids love me being in LE, it took awhile to condition them OUT of making comments of "Daddy's patrol car" or "Be nice or my daddy is a cop and will arrest you"... Now I get to say random things and my kids find it hilarious when I'm asked and I can say "garbage man" or "basket weaver for the VA" etc..

Comment

I can now lift objects with just my brain power.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. I thought I was doing good, just to knock 10 mph off a motorist's with my gaze...

1. I have a buddy who works in the medical filtration industry. Listening to him talk for twenty years about microporous membrane filters used in big pharma has me close to subject matter expert level, or at least I can so fool people who know nothing about medical filtration.

2. The second best way to stop a nosy stranger who inquires what you do for a living is say, "I'm a product developer for a medical filtration company." The best way to stop a nosy stranger is say, "I sell life insurance", but I don't know diddly about life insurance.

3. I've been using the medical filtration cover for years and it's worked on hundreds of people. Only one time did I get burned- turns out the person asking also worked in the medical filtration business for a competitor company.... he knew right away I was full of BS.

4. I used to think it was my onus in life to carry a heavy burden all the time.... 10,000 pounds of gravity on my shoulders inherent with enduring the dark side of the human condition. Then one day I realized it was seriously harshing my mellow, no one was impressed, and I woke. Now I try to have as much fun as I can.

5. Little things jump out at me all the time that most don't notice. Like if there's a suburban kid in the 'hood sitting in a park, against a tree, head drooping and rising as if he's fixing to doze off. Most would think, oh look, he's about to have a nice afternoon nap. But I know he's doing the heroin nod.

6. Knowing what I know, I generally mistrust soccer coaches, boy scout leaders, lacrosse coaches, youth pastors, camp counselors, and male nannies.

7. I've worked with some really great people and I know they would put their life on the line for me, but I still would never trust them alone with my lunch or my wife.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

I forgot one and it's as important, if not more so, than the others:

8. LE organizations are inherently flawed because they are run by humans. People in leadership can make poor decisions, be inept or unfit, or be spiteful just to be spiteful. Not everyone can handle power and institutions are loathe to acknowledge error mistakes in who got promoted. The bottom line: the power structure will always protect the power structure and the only person looking out for you is you.
        There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

9. I am grateful to soon be walking away intact and on my own terms, as I have known many who did neither.

Comment

It's given me a firsthand experience with exactly how deeply flawed our criminal justice and court system are. Money talks and the lawyers have argued, nit-picked, and litigated the whole system beyond belief. I've arrested someone for possessing a small amount of old cocaine and he got six months. I arrested another guy who I caught in the act of burglarizing a liquor store, in possession of burglary tools, and he got three months probation despite prior theft and burglary offenses. The State's Attorney's office doesn't want to charge anything and want to avoid having to go to trial. They're just looking for easy plea deals.

​​​​​​For myself, I don't go anywhere unarmed. Too many YouTube videos and other moments where bad things went down and people were helpless. It's not happening to my family, if I can help it.

The Academy and life on the road have made me more assertive. I have always been a pessimist so seeing the bad side of human nature was always there, now I just have to do paperwork because of it. I don't like telling people what I do because it's social suicide; I just tell them I work in sanitation if they ask. I despise people asking me what I do for a living at all.

Comment

• NW121
              NW121 commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand it's the way things are. Just won't ever like it. Feels like we put a lot of effort into making good arrests, writing good reports, and... nolle'd. Gets frustrating. Arrested a guy for aggravated DUI who passed out in a drive thru and found a loaded handgun in the car he didn't have a permit for. Gift wrapped felony... nolle'd. Amazing the consequences a good lawyer helps these guys escape.

• Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not easy and you don't have to like it, but you can't let it bother you. If you do, it will drive you to be even more bitter, cynical, and jaded than is normal in LE. We have enough things that give us ulcers in this job...don't let the courts be something else.

• NW121
              NW121 commented
              Editing a comment
              True enough; dash of online venting. Think I'll retire the soapbox for the moment. Be safe out there.

• LA DEP
              LA DEP commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the first things I was told by my FTO in the very early 90s (and that I told each and every one of my trainees when I was a FTO) was to N E V E R follow cases after you have made the arrest and done the report and booking paperwork

You will be far happier in the long run

." I've adopted a simple rule: my job is completed successfully when the bad guy's in jail...after that, I'm just a witness for the Prosecution".

Good words to live by. Anything that happens AFTER the arrest is someone else's circus manned by someone eles's clowns.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              9. I am grateful to soon be walking away intact and on my own terms, as I have known many who did neither.
              Filling out the paperwork as we speak...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12144 users online. 480 members and 11664 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X