Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How/When did you realize you wanted to be a law enforcement officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How/When did you realize you wanted to be a law enforcement officer?

How/When did you realize you wanted to be a law enforcement officer?

When I realized that EVERY community has some form of a bully who is left unchecked... From the people who community members feared or kept away from, to those who wandered in from other cities/areas and chose to do wrong. The biggest thing was being a victim of a burglary when I was a kid where my stuff was taken along w/ my family's at a very early age.. Since then I've taken a great pride in catching burglars in progress or leaving a scene w/ the fruits of their actions.

Comment

I believe it was shortly after that head trauma knocked all common sense out of me...
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Since grade school. Dad was a firefighter/paramedic but saw the blue as where it was at.

Comment

When I learned you had to be one to get the SICK discounts on govx

Comment

Well after college. A friend became a cop and I became curious. Now here I am.

Comment

When I found out about the free bullets...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLinerAZ View Post
                When I realized that EVERY community has some form of a bully who is left unchecked... From the people who community members feared or kept away from, to those who wandered in from other cities/areas and chose to do wrong. The biggest thing was being a victim of a burglary when I was a kid where my stuff was taken along w/ my family's at a very early age...
                I think this thread deserves a little more levity than you have provided, and I'd like to push it in that direction, but in all seriousness, your comment resonates with me.

My father was a Marine from Texas, and I inherited his knee problem- they tend to straighten, when it would have been much easier to have remain seated. I also inherited his lack of a reverse gear.

Comment

I was around 9 yrs old. Maybe watched too much tv. I was discouraged from pursuing law enforcement. Went to college for 2 yrs. Then went into the Army for 3.

Came home, got a BS in Med Lab Tech. Maxed out on salary. Then saw a recruiting ad for the PD.
                  Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 07-13-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Free car. Free gas. Free gear. What’s not to like?
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

On and off since I was about 5 or so, really hit as I got closer to 18.
                      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

My Dad's sister dated an abusive alcoholic Sgt when I was very little; I don't remember, just heard the stories.
                        My Dad's family had a friend in the Town Police, who then patched-over when surrounding Municipalities formed a Regional PS. He was eventually the School Liaison for the area. Years later, he turned out to be a kiddy-diddler.
                        I am Canadian, originally from the Niagara Region of Ontario (cleaner side of the Falls); I apparently became interested in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP, or The Force) after visiting a Recruiting booth at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto during the 1973 Canadian Centennial.
                        Fall 1973, I did a report for school on the RCMP.
                        Spring 1974, an RCMP Regular Member (Police Officer) came to my High School for Career Day, so I went to the session, then skipped a class to keep talking with him. The RM told us that a friend, who was in the next year class, was almost done his application process - the bugger never told us.
                        I tried applying to the RCMP on my 18th birthday, but was told to wait until 18.5, so I went on with HS, then applied during Christmas break, while also applying to several Universities.
                        Before the end of HS, my Recruiter did not know how long my application would take, so encouraged me to go onto University.
                        I was at University for about a month when I got my letter of acceptance to the RCMP (time-line ~ 9.5 months).
                        I joined at the end of Oct 1975, completed Basic Training, got posted to Saskatchewan (find ND / MT & look up), got transferred several times, then 35+ years later, pulled the pin. 8.5 years later, here I am.
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          Free car. Free gas. Free gear. What’s not to like?
                          And a really big office, and no adult supervision...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

And a really big office, and no adult supervision...
                            And guns...
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I started in EMS and got to know some of my local cops. I did a ride-along and that set the hook.

I often think back to the importance of that first ride-along. If it had been a really dull night, or I saw something that didn't sit well with me, I very likely would have never pursued a path that led me to a career I love.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11732 users online. 456 members and 11276 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X