300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a chance? ( Long post )

Hi Guys! I have read the sticky, and I still want to ask some questions so please bare with me and take it easy if you can. I am 36 years old and have wanted to be a Police Officer since I was in grade school. I just applied for the Columbus Police Academy last week, and I am awaiting to see if they give me the go ahead to take the Civil exam. I am also in contact with a school here in Delaware,Oh for doing the OPOTA on my own. I am going to list every single thing I have done wrong in my life and maybe you guys could tell me if it is even worth it or not. Now, before you say " It's your dream, just do it" keep in mind I have a full-time job, a fiance and a 3 year old at home. The OPOTA is Monday through Thursday 6 PM to 10 PM and Saturday from 8 AM until 4:30 PM, which will drastically limit my family time, so I am just trying to do my due diligence here and make the appropriate decision while keeping my family in mind. Thanks for any input!

1. I am 36
    2. I had a DUI in 2004 ( That is all )
    3. I once made an ex girlfriend angry when we broke up and I had an order of protection put on me. Even though I hired an attorney and proved I did nothing it was still enforced and later dropped. Never any violence or anything of that nature.
    4. I smoked pot once about 11 years ago and also got tricked into eating a Marijuana cookie 3 years ago and went to the hospital not knowing what was going on.
    5. When I was younger I went through a ton of jobs being young and stupid. I would say 40+. I have since " grown up " and have been with my current employer going on 7 years and have not missed a day. I have even worked my way up to a project manager position.
    6. I was awful with my finances and from ruining my credit when I was younger I filed bankruptcy this year and have started establishing new credit and making all payments.
    7. I have a GED. I made it to the 11th grade and was going to career center part time for the law enforcement class. I was getting bullied at school pretty bad so I would skip school everyday until 10:30 and then go to my career center. After a couple of months the school contacted the career center and asked if I was attending. The instructors found out about the bullying and tried to help me but I was 17, and skipped too much, and couldn't go back to school.

If you have made it this far I would like to thank you. Any input is appreciated. Have a great day!

I'm gonna say slim chance. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Not one thing, but a totality of the circumstances situation.

I wouldn't bother self-sponsoring to an academy either.

BUT: you seem to have a good thing going with current job, and family is priority. Keep on keeping on with all that.
    There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      I'm gonna say slim chance. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Not one thing, but a totality of the circumstances situation.

I wouldn't bother self-sponsoring to an academy either.

BUT: you seem to have a good thing going with current job, and family is priority. Keep on keeping on with all that.
      Thank you for your response. It hurt a little lol. I do appreciate your honesty. I knew it would be near impossible, but hey I at least had to try.

Comment

1. Ok
        2. Stupid but should not be an issue 15 years later
        3. Huge red flag
        4. Nobody gets tricked into eating a cookie at 33 years old. How long did the hospital staff laugh at you? Grow up.
        5. Ok
        6. Another huge red flag, especially in the past year.
        7. GED isn't the end of the world, but sounds like a lot of excuses.

Not sure what kind of standards Columbus has, but it would be a long shot for you to get hired right now.

Comment

Originally posted by clof2001 View Post
          1. Ok
          2. Stupid but should not be an issue 15 years later
          3. Huge red flag
          4. Nobody gets tricked into eating a cookie at 33 years old. How long did the hospital staff laugh at you? Grow up.
          5. Ok
          6. Another huge red flag, especially in the past year.
          7. GED isn't the end of the world, but sounds like a lot of excuses.

Not sure what kind of standards Columbus has, but it would be a long shot for you to get hired right now.
          Thanks for the constructive input. # 4 was at a cookout and friends of the teenagers there put said cookies into the mix so yes I ate them not knowing and I do not handle any type of drug well so I went to the hospital. Again, thank you for your response.

Comment

As a background guy:

The DUI in itself is not career ending but understand that you will be up against applicants without that speed bump. Be upfront and honest and never say "that's all". Was it an accident? Traffic stop?

Domestic anything is usually a career killer. You say it was "enforced" so was it she filed it and it was served on you and dropped at the first hearing? Moved from temporary to interim? Final order? How was it dropped?

The recent bankruptcy and sketchy past employment history would probably torpedo you here as well. I have to look at the next 5, 10, 15 years of your career so if you're broke how likely would you be to hold onto some money you seized? Take a bribe? Etc. How much debt are we talking?

Overall, given the number of highly qualified applicants (lower numbers but still getting quality) we see you honestly have almost zero chance here. I've never self sponsored but I worked with folks who played the system and agency hopped to get to one of my agencies and the pay-to-play academies leave a ton to be desired. Also, don't forget that completion of a diploma mill doesn't guarantee any employment. If you're broke, why pay for something that right now is a huge question mark?

Comment

In addition to what has been mentioned above, I'd also say that your age is going to be a hurdle. The reality is, with most departments in Ohio, you're going to be up against civil service age limits for hiring (age limit for civil service in Ohio is 35, thought that is sometimes modified by local civil service commissions). That will limit the departments you'll be eligible to hire on with generally to villages (under 5000 population) and sheriff offices, so you're going to find that you're already ineligible to test with most civil service departments You also have to decide if you're willing to be a patrolman at 66 years old (retirement under OPERS and OP&F is now 30 years of service, minimum 52 years old, for new appointments).
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by sgj0211 View Post
                Hi Guys! I have read the sticky, and I still want to ask some questions so please bare with me and take it easy if you can. I am 36 years old and have wanted to be a Police Officer since I was in grade school. I just applied for the Columbus Police Academy last week, and I am awaiting to see if they give me the go ahead to take the Civil exam. I am also in contact with a school here in Delaware,Oh for doing the OPOTA on my own. I am going to list every single thing I have done wrong in my life and maybe you guys could tell me if it is even worth it or not. Now, before you say " It's your dream, just do it" keep in mind I have a full-time job, a fiance and a 3 year old at home. The OPOTA is Monday through Thursday 6 PM to 10 PM and Saturday from 8 AM until 4:30 PM, which will drastically limit my family time, so I am just trying to do my due diligence here and make the appropriate decision while keeping my family in mind. Thanks for any input!

1. I am 36
                3. I once made an ex girlfriend angry when we broke up and I had an order of protection put on me. Even though I hired an attorney and proved I did nothing it was still enforced and later dropped. Never any violence or anything of that nature.
                4. I smoked pot once about 11 years ago and also got tricked into eating a Marijuana cookie 3 years ago and went to the hospital not knowing what was going on.
                5. When I was younger I went through a ton of jobs being young and stupid. I would say 40+. I have since " grown up " and have been with my current employer going on 7 years and have not missed a day. I have even worked my way up to a project manager position.
                6. I was awful with my finances and from ruining my credit when I was younger I filed bankruptcy this year and have started establishing new credit and making all payments.
                7. I have a GED. I made it to the 11th grade and was going to career center part time for the law enforcement class. I was getting bullied at school pretty bad so I would skip school everyday until 10:30 and then go to my career center. After a couple of months the school contacted the career center and asked if I was attending. The instructors found out about the bullying and tried to help me but I was 17, and skipped too much, and couldn't go back to school.

If you have made it this far I would like to thank you. Any input is appreciated. Have a great day!
                ------------------------

Comment

1. I am 36
                  That's not a sin. I was 43 when I got hired at my current agency.

That's gonna be a challenge. There are plenty of applicants that don't have a DUI in their history.

That's gonna be a challenge. You'd need to provide more information for us to be able to determine how much of a challenge.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that.

Illegal drug use at the age of 25 is one thing, but your cookie story is weak. If children tricked you into overdosing on illegal drugs when you were 33 years old, then you might not be sharp enough to be a cop. People try to trick us all the time. People with a lot of practice at it.

5. When I was younger I went through a ton of jobs being young and stupid. I would say 40+. I have since " grown up " and have been with my current employer going on 7 years and have not missed a day.
                  That's another challenge. Not a major one, but again, we have plenty of applicants who haven't lost 40 jobs.

That's a biggie. You promised people (in writing) that you would pay them, and then you went back on your word. That's an integrity problem.

So do I. Except that I don't try to minimize it with a long sad story about getting punked. In our profession, people attempt to punk us all the time...and we don't back down or run and hide.
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 07-08-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

For the people who answered nicely thanks. Was just some questions. For the couple of you with no tact, shame on you.

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're welcome. Happy to help.

For the people who answered nicely thanks. Was just some questions. For the couple of you with no tact, shame on you.
                    You DON’T get to dictate the replies you receive.
                    They are being nice.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

1. I am 36

Regarding # 7

You will never make it through the psychological

Adds to the above answer
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No one was being rude to you. If you take honest responses that hard you absolutely don't have the ability to handle what you'll receive on the streets. Being the police is not an easy job, we're going to be honest with you and not sugar coat it.

Seems like you need to stay with your current job.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

You DON’T get to dictate the replies you receive.
                          They are being nice.
                          See how NICE I was..?
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12080 users online. 473 members and 11607 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X