Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving Etiquette

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Driving Etiquette

    So, the law says you should move over to the right lane if faster traffic is behind you. But I say, "What if some ******* is driving 90 up on yer *** when you're already fudging the speed limit as it is?" I mean it's already crazy out on these roads, and everyone drives above the speed limit in the left lane, so what rights do I have as a sane mostly law abiding individual when it comes to lunatics?

    Also, I was with my brother in law and some guy was trying to bypass traffic on the shoulder. He moved over and blocked the guy. Guy was my hero that day. What's your thoughts on this vigilante type justice? Do you recommend this move to civilian drivers? Have a great and safe July 4 officers!

  • #2
    Have great insurance. Then, have lots of money for court and a new insurance carrier. You and your brother in law are at fault when you get into the accident.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      What about a citizen's arrest? Is that actually a thing? I mean if you got a good insurance and lawyer.

      Comment


      • NW121
        NW121 commented
        Editing a comment
        A citizens arrest is a real thing, per se. It's far better to call the police and let them handle it, be a good witness. Trying to make a citizens arrest on a micro level, such as a store preventing a shoplifter from leaving, have some protections built into the statutes here. Citizens arresting some guy on the street isn't a very safe practice and if you use force or restrain them, except in a life or death emergency, you'll probably be criminally charged and sued as well. Really, just call the police and be a good witness.

    • #4
      Even if some folks drive like its the Autobahn, reality is, the more you clog up the highway and impede the free flow of traffic, the greater the risk of there being an accident.

      Don't create your own hazard. If traffic is passing you on the right, move one lane to the right. Keep moving one lane to the right until traffic no longer passes you on the right. You'll eventually find your spot.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

      Comment


      • #5
        What is it going to cost you to move over? I prefer those driving like idiots be in FRONT of me where I can see them. Trying to provoke people is pretty immature IMO. It's a matter of physics, if someone is doing 90mph, do you really want them close to you? I like my car, my life and my ability to live this life without being mained, paralyzed, brain damaged etc. I like my car too and it's not paid for yet.

        If someone is driving on shoulders to get around others, there is probably a serious problem happening in their world (or DUI) . I don't say that it's right but if I'm in my personal vehicle and someone is acting/driving that recklessly I'm not getting in their way.

        Comment


        • #6
          Ya, I would never block someone on the shoulder. That's a level of confrontation I have no interest in. And like you say, probably the same lunatic that's trying to dip and dive his way at 90 mph in rush hour.

          Comment


          • #7
            I believe it's safe to say we all get frustrated in traffic. It's how you handle it. There are some true PSYCHOS out there with guns in their cars. I err on the side of caution, got nothing to prove and I suspect you don't either.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
              So, the law says you should move over to the right lane if faster traffic is behind you.
              No, the law says you belong in the right lane unless you're passing someone.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
                But I say, "What if some ******* is driving 90 up on yer *** when you're already fudging the speed limit as it is?" I mean it's already crazy out on these roads, and everyone drives above the speed limit in the left lane, so what rights do I have as a sane mostly law abiding individual when it comes to lunatics?
                The answer to your question is that you have the same rights as anyone else.

                The answer to the question that you're TRYING to ask, is that you are not a police officer, and it's not your job to "enforce" civil infractions.
                Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2019, 02:31 AM.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
                  Also, I was with my brother in law and some guy was trying to bypass traffic on the shoulder. He moved over and blocked the guy. Guy was my hero that day. What's your thoughts on this vigilante type justice? Do you recommend this move to civilian drivers? Have a great and safe July 4 officers!
                  Any chance that "some guy" had a medical emergency and was trying to get to the emergency room?

                  Your brother in law is what we refer to in our profession as a "d0uchabag".

                  I often ask people like your brother in law if they know why there are no old people like them. They often guess wrong, guessing that old people have mellowed out, learned their lesson, whatever....but the REAL answer, is that in order to become old you have to survive long enough to become old, and that particular type of behavior is not consistent with living long enough to become old- THAT's why there are so few 80 year old d0uchebags.
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2019, 02:44 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    In America, all that is required to get a driver's license, is the ability to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide. In Europe, you have to demonstrate actual driving skill in order to obtain a driver's license. And one of the driving skills required to obtain a driver's license in Europe, is to demonstrate that you know the difference between the left lane and a camping area.

                    My wife and I have toured Europe extensively, and no where is this more evident than the unrestricted portions of the German Autobahns. Drivers stay in the right lane, unless they are passing, and they move back into the right lane immediately after passing. The result, is that trucks and other slow vehicles can do 100kph (about 60mph) in the right lane, while we were able to travel at speeds of 250kph (155mph) in the left lane, in reasonable safety.
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2019, 02:43 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
                      So, the law says you should move over to the right lane if faster traffic is behind you. But I say, "What if some ******* is driving 90 up on yer *** when you're already fudging the speed limit as it is?" I mean it's already crazy out on these roads, and everyone drives above the speed limit in the left lane, so what rights do I have as a sane mostly law abiding individual when it comes to lunatics?

                      Also, I was with my brother in law and some guy was trying to bypass traffic on the shoulder. He moved over and blocked the guy. Guy was my hero that day. What's your thoughts on this vigilante type justice? Do you recommend this move to civilian drivers? Have a great and safe July 4 officers!
                      And, if there HAD BEEN a collision, and your B-I-L got a ticket for Drive Without Due Care, Straddle Lane Marker, Drive On Emergency Stop Area / Shoulder, or whatever the statute there says, and / or his vehicle was destroyed, and / or you and / or he were injured or killed, and / or the "some guy" was some sort of maniac that came out with a crowbar or firearm, or "some guy" decided to sue, how much of a "hero" would your B-I-L been then, or how delightful would the post-incident time been?
                      Nope, be safe, always.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

                        Any chance that "some guy" had a medical emergency and was trying to get to the emergency room?

                        Your brother in law is what we refer to in our profession as a "d0uchabag".

                        I often ask people like your brother in law if they know why there are no old people like them. They often guess wrong, guessing that old people have mellowed out, learned their lesson, whatever....but the REAL answer, is that in order to become old you have to survive long enough to become old, and that particular type of behavior is not consistent with living long enough to become old- THAT's why there are so few 80 year old d0uchebags.
                        Actually my first thought was that the person possibly had a child in the ER seriously injured, or a parent, or someone else he loved.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

                          Actually my first thought was that the person possibly had a child in the ER seriously injured, or a parent, or someone else he loved.
                          Or a cop late for court...
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6108 users online. 238 members and 5870 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X