300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got shot at lastnight for the 1st time

A fellow officer and myself were on foot patrol in one of our public housing areas. We were after a female that we knew was on the banned list through housing. Per the usual, once we got to the area that we saw her, she and everybody else out (4:30am) scattered and ducked into various apts. We kept walking.

A while later we returned to our cars and were just having a conversation. We heard several loud crashing sounds which turned out to be two subjects trying to kick in a steel renforced door in an apartment just 100ft away, directly behind us. Then we heard shots fired. We drew and quietly headed in that direcion. We then saw the two subjects and they saw us. We commanded them to hit the ground and before we knew it, they were both running. We started to chase them. Thats when the 2nd subject reached back and fired at us. We hit cover and before we could return fire, they were around the building and out of site.

Needless to say, we with caution, headed in the direction that they went but we did not chase. I am not going to be another blog on the news of an officer shot while chasing subjects and getting ambushed! (Mind you we had approx 10 officers on scene within 30 seconds of the shots fired call out.)

A few minutes later, we found a cell phone we think one of the subjects dropped. We found the gun a few buildings over (.38), and some clothing articles.

The point for this ramble and my question is: Should I not be more rattled then I am about this? Even seconds after the shots, I was more angry then scared. In retrospect and later this morning it hit me a little what had happened.

For those who have been shot at, what was it like and what were your feelings, emotions, and after thoughts?

Just curious

Be safe guys and girls!!
    RIP Officer Josh Williams
    Old Fort, NC PD # 919... 10-42... 02/01/2007

Our loss is heaven's gain

Originally posted by WNC-LE View Post
    The point for this ramble and my question is: Should I not be more rattled then I am about this? Even seconds after the shots, I was more angry then scared. In retrospect and later this morning it hit me a little what had happened.

For those who have been shot at, what was it like and what were your feelings, emotions, and after thoughts?
    Everyone has different stressors, and different reactions to them. An event that might ring your bell could be another day in the life for me, and vice versa. Just don't try to fool yourself. Find someone you can talk to in confidence and who will give you unbiased feedback, discuss what you felt and are feeling, and use them as a sounding board. Maybe you just Ranger on, and maybe you need to take a break. Like I said, everyone is different.

I've been shot at three times, but never as a cop. Twice, while working in convenience stores in college, and once just driving down the street outside the county courthouse. In the last one, I wasn't the intended target. A dad disapproved of the doper that his daughter was living with, and dad tried to cancel his ticket as doper came out of the courthouse. He wound up shooting the daughter. Myself and another moron tackled dad, and then I went to the aid of the girl (I was an EMT at the time, and had my kit with me). None of these events bothered me a lot, but I can't say why. I've had other stuff happen to me that shook my tree plenty, so I'm not the Sgt. Rock type.

I do know that they served as part of my motivation to become a cop. I prefer being in the position where I can shoot back, if needed.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Mr. Dees..

Thank you for the reply. Honestly, I think the good healthy fear and the caution I normally have and use is what kept me safe during this incident. The same was displayed by my fellow other officer as well. I think the man upstairs had plenty involvement too. I have talked with other officers, my Sgt and my wife and son about this. I think I am good to go come next shift. I will certainly have an even heightened sense of awareness beyond what I already had.

Thanks again!
      Last edited by WNC-LE; 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The point for this ramble and my question is: Should I not be more rattled then I am about this?
        "There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
        -- Winston Churchill

From my personal experience (Iraq), I believe Sir Churchill was spot-on

Comment

I've never been shot at but being angry seems to me like a natural response. You didn't freeze up and dribble in your pants, you did what you needed to do. And if it made you more aware of what's going on around you I'd say the experience will help keep you safer in the future.

Good Job.

Comment

Glad you're ok. The POS that shot at you will eventually be jailed or dead.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

A fellow officer and myself were on foot patrol in one of our public housing areas. We were after a female that we knew was on the banned list through housing. Per the usual, once we got to the area that we saw her, she and everybody else out (4:30am) scattered and ducked into various apts. We kept walking.

A while later we returned to our cars and were just having a conversation. We heard several loud crashing sounds which turned out to be two subjects trying to kick in a steel renforced door in an apartment just 100ft away, directly behind us. Then we heard shots fired. We drew and quietly headed in that direcion. We then saw the two subjects and they saw us. We commanded them to hit the ground and before we knew it, they were both running. We started to chase them. Thats when the 2nd subject reached back and fired at us. We hit cover and before we could return fire, they were around the building and out of site.

Needless to say, we with caution, headed in the direction that they went but we did not chase. I am not going to be another blog on the news of an officer shot while chasing subjects and getting ambushed! (Mind you we had approx 10 officers on scene within 30 seconds of the shots fired call out.)

A few minutes later, we found a cell phone we think one of the subjects dropped. We found the gun a few buildings over (.38), and some clothing articles.

Just curious

Be safe guys and girls!!
              I had a similar situation except I was field training a guy and we never made it out of our police car. We got caught up in the middle of four drug dealers shooting at each other. like you we chased after they fired at our car but couldn't return fire because there were tons of people on the street. We got to a wooded area and I made the recruit stop and end his chase for the same reason, you cant see the threat dont run into an ambush. We caught the one we could positively identify and he did ten years. Just like the gulf, you act and think about it later. Lifes too short for this stuff.. you think how fast it all happens and how lucky you are to be still here.
              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Glad you didn't get hit! Good thing his/her aim stunk.
                "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I felt nothing but rage. How dare that mother****** shoot at me!!! After that wore off it was kinda funny because he had no chance of hitting me, in fact he missed the whole car. The chicken fired a handgun from about 150yds away then ran. Good ole public housing.

Comment

Closest thing I ever had was during my FTO phase, shooting broke out very, very close to us (across an intersection). The whole thing was reaction, not much thinking honestly. I hit the lights and got across and saw several people ducking down. Tunnel vision kicked in and I swept the crowd looking for a gun or a body but didn't look straight ahead at the red car speeding off away from us. When auditory exclusion finally backed off, I heard my FTO yelling 'hit it hit it!' and saw a red car speeding away. I nailed the gas to the floor and was ****ed off for being disrespected more than anything. I know that sounds a bit childish, but it's the truth about what happened.
                    Unfortunately, fear didn't kick in (yes unfortunately....I think fear is a good thing) and I was just angry and wanting to catch the arsehole who opened fire. The car had too much of a jump on us and he got away....I'm still irritated over it to this day.
                    For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                    Faith issues
                    Challenging hardcore atheism
                    Reasonable Faith

Comment

I was shot at in 1992. Short chase with a carjacker...he blew the trans on his stolen vehicle, then pointed his gun at me. I fired first, he first back, striking my patrol car. The only reason I wasn't shot in the head is that I sat in the patrol car to reload. He then disappeared into the dark shadows. First feeling was ****ed off that I missed. Second, glad he did. The adrenaline was really pumping. The next day I was back on the road working. Bad guy arrested about 3 days later after carjacking someone else and during another pursuit, shooting an officer in the arm. good news is he is in prison, doing 60 to life. bad news is that he got a freebee for mine. The department didn't charge him since he was already sentenced in the other case.

Comment

I have only been shot at once when a hunter who had finally lost his cool because we had been patrolling in his area where he was trying to get his docks. He was arrested and thankfully, no one was seriously hurt (The hunter took a gunshot wound to the chest, but fully recovered). At first I felt very relieved that no one on my team was hurt, I felt partially angry that the guy had actually tried to kill us just because we were doing our jobs. I also felt equally angry that he left us in no other position other then to fire back. But, I guess the point was, I had a great woman at home who I can confide in every night, and I moved on. He had made that choice, and I did my job, nothing more.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!

I can not say much about this case other then we have made some progress. Personally, I was right back in there tonight with my team and it felt good. The support from my team and my dept and from all of you has been great. Thank you!

My Sgt said that "you did everything right, and you went home at 0600."

That was what I needed to hear.

Comment

My Sgt said that "you did everything right, and you went home at 0600."

And that is all that matters, brother! Nobody wants to get in a shooting no matter what they say when they get their drink on. I've been there and it's not a lot of fun, but if you don't do it, you don't get to go home.

My first time I was like you, ****ed beyond belief! How dare he try and take me away from my (at the time) 4 month old son? After a while I just felt kinda resigned to it. I wish I could say it only happened that one time though...
                            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Id say relief that you and your partner are still in one piece, then anger at the bastard that shot at you and a sincere desire to find the SOB and tactfully explain to him in a pleasant manner that you did not appreciate been shot at.

I have been shot at numerous times but two stick in my memory

The first we were chasing suspects into a shantytown one night, as we got close to the shacks a unknown suspect opened fire on us. I still remember the crack as the bullet when past my head. Luckily there was a small mound that we could take shelter behind, the suspect fired five shots and then disappeared into the night. We found the 9mm cartridges where he had been standing.

With the second I was working as part of a larger group doing raids in a township, when a we were sprayed by a AK47 (Very distinct sound) Luckily no one was hit, the suspect proberly just sprayed a few shot in our general direction and then ran of feeling like a true heroic revolutionary. Unfortunately we couldn’t find him.

Been shot at is never a pleasant experience, but as long as you and your partner are still in one piece, you will carry on
                              Last edited by Rattel; 05-09-2007, 01:48 AM.
                              If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2961 users online. 158 members and 2803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X