300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO experience, will it help for PD?

I'm currently 19 and just began work as a corrections officer. As I live in Minnesota, I'll need a 2 year college degree to join the PD, so I'll begin working on that soon.
    My question:
    If I work as a CO for those 2 years, will that increase my desirability [sp?] to the police department? If so, would that give me a large boost in appeal, or will it just tack a few points on to my resume?

Absolutely. While you may not be performing specific "police duties," you learn how to deal and speak with unfriendly characters.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

It will help out in that you have a work schedule where you don't expect to be off weekends and holidays, you will have and be familiar with a formal chain of command, dept. SOP's, etc. We've hired 2 guys who came from the corrections field.

Comment

It will help a lot. It familiarizes you with dealing with criminals and the games they WILL try to play with you on the street. Also if you are a CO at the same place you want to get hired into that's a bonus. GOOD LUCK!
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

CO Experience

Agree 100% with the previous posts. Build a solid record in Corrections, it can be a plus. When you get on the street, you'll start out with knowledge many new Officers only wish they could have. You'll be a whole lot harder to con and lie to. Working the jail is one of the best "educational" experiences an Officer can have.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3473 users online. 220 members and 3253 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X