300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to be a police office

Hey guys, I am wanting to be a police officer for Metro In Nashville Tn. I just want to know what are my chances of being one since I’ve done some bad things in the past that I am not proud of and would be a DQ in my application process.

I have done weed and cocaine before in my past. It has been one year since I have done any drugs. I know that most department will DQ me for it but I never know for sure until I actually go for it. I will have my bachelors in Criminal Justice this August. I have stayed with one job since I was 16, and I am now just starting a new job at a Health Care Facility. I have a certificate of Training in Identification with the TBI for students back in September of 2018. I only received 2 speeding tickets. When I was 18, I was charged with paraphernalia, a misdemeanor and was expunged. I have the documents to prove it. I will be doing a ride along this month with a friend of mine who is in the department. I know that I won’t get in the academy, but with my degree in Criminal Justice, participating in Identifications with the TBI, doing a ride along, and showing good behavior since I was 18. What are my chances? Should I even give it a try? I was thinking applying this month, or in August. I am 22 years old, and I am Vietnamese.

Cocaine is an automatic DQ where I'm from. Even if it wasn't, combine that with the other charges and it shows a pattern of poor decision making. Besides the charges on their own merits, you'll be up against lots of qualified applicants without the baggage.

Like you said, you won't know until you apply but you face an up-mountain battle. Your degree and training don't offset your past.

Comment

From how you wrote it, I'm going to assume that you've done cocaine more than once and that it's been relatively recently. Even pot within a few years would be a DQ in my area, let alone a history of cocaine usage. To call your chances an uphill battle would probably be putting it mildly.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Should I just go ahead and apply and see? I do have two reference that I can put down and they are both officers and I actually know them.

Comment

• BlueLinerAZ
          BlueLinerAZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Means nothing if you have specific events that are a DQ, then you're a DQ.

Originally posted by Cydiuh View Post
        Hey guys, I am wanting to be a police officer for Metro In Nashville Tn. I just want to know what are my chances of being one since I’ve done some bad things in the past that I am not proud of and would be a DQ in my application process.

I have done weed and cocaine before in my past. It has been one year since I have done any drugs. I know that most department will DQ me for it but I never know for sure until I actually go for it. I will have my bachelors in Criminal Justice this August. I have stayed with one job since I was 16, and I am now just starting a new job at a Health Care Facility. I have a certificate of Training in Identification with the TBI for students back in September of 2018. I only received 2 speeding tickets. When I was 18, I was charged with paraphernalia, a misdemeanor and was expunged. I have the documents to prove it. I will be doing a ride along this month with a friend of mine who is in the department. I know that I won’t get in the academy, but with my degree in Criminal Justice, participating in Identifications with the TBI, doing a ride along, and showing good behavior since I was 18. What are my chances? Should I even give it a try? I was thinking applying this month, or in August. I am 22 years old, and I am Vietnamese.
        Cocaine used to be a perm. DQ in my dept. I assume it sill is. You absolutely need more time between your drug use. Minimum of 3 years. Having a second language is good. I wouldn't apply for at LEAST 2 more years. You don't want to rack up a sting of DQs. Major disqualifiers are usually listed under the hiring section of depts. Don't assume you can get around them.

Comment

I wouldn’t apply. Even if you hadn’t used cocaine, one year from cannabis use is far too recent. Assuming you are telling to truth you have a very hard path ahead of it exists at all.

I would encourage you to join the military or get some real, professional work experience for 5+ years before you consider applying for a sworn law enforcement position anywhere.

Comment

I have done weed and cocaine before in my past. It has been one year since I have done any drugs.
            When I was 18, I was charged with paraphernalia...

I will have my bachelors in Criminal Justice this August.

I am 22 years old...
            So you spent three of the last four years doing illegal drugs...while going to school for Criminal Justice?

Comment

• Cydiuh
              Cydiuh commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. I wanted to go to law school, but didn’t realize I wanted to be a cop until my last semester as a junior.

Cocaine is going to DQ you. Find another job.

Comment

• Cydiuh
              Cydiuh commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the honest uplifting message.

Did anything click with you as being "off" while snorting cocaine and taking CJ classes. Applying to see what happens generally isn't going to work as most places have a clear and written drug policy. Three years drug free means three years drug free, and a DQ is a DQ. All of the stuff you listed as good or positive attributes really doesn't mean anything. Can you speak Vietnamese?

Comment

Every department is different, but where I work cocaine use would put you in the permanent "No" pile regardless of your other qualifications

Comment

Here is Metro Nashville PD drug usage criteria.

Comment

• westside popo
                  westside popo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's your answer!
                  Best bet is to go to law school.

Here is Metro Nashville PD drug usage criteria.
                Looks like they view cocaine use as a permanent DQ. Best of luck with your career choices, but your chances as a cop are slim at best.

edit - if you lie about the usage, it WILL get found out. You can bet on that much.
                Last edited by darkhorse6; 06-10-2019, 04:44 PM.
                Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
                Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
                The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• Cydiuh
                  Cydiuh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It could DQ me, but I’ll never know. I was going to be fully honest with them with everything.

Hey guys, I am wanting to be a police officer...

I have done weed and cocaine...
                Cocaine is a felony.

Comment

Now you know how worthless a CJ degree is...
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Cydiuh
                    Cydiuh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CJ degree isn’t pointless. It was my poor decision making that assumed that it is pointless. I actually learn a lot regarding the laws of what I cant and can do. You want to know what is a pointless degree? A business degree.

• KJB
                    KJB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A business degree is not even remotely pointless. Especially when compared to a CJ degree. A CJ degree gets you into a CJ field or teaching CJ classes.

• Iowa #1603
                    Iowa #1603 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You haven't a clue

I have over 16 years in LE with a pretty exhaustive resume. Even with all my experience and qualifications a lot of agencies wouldn't even touch me if I used cocaine once over 20 years ago. You might find an agency that will accept you but you might not like working for that agency. You have a hard road to travel to get a decent LE job.

I recommend you find steady employment for three years. Then try to get into Corrections. Spend three to five years doing that, then try to go into police work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7481 users online. 300 members and 7181 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X