Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacklisting

Hi

Would anyone here be willing to talk to me about police blacklisting? Why it happens, how to protect oneself off it does happen... I have legitimate questions.... Serious answers only please and I accept pm's. I am not a cop or media or even remotely crazy.

Thank you

As someone who did backgrounds for years, then later supervised backgrounds for years and finally was in charge of hiring and firing for seven years, I’ve got to tell you there is no such thing in my neck of the woods.

Stop and consider for a moment the practicalities of such a matter. What central agency would be in charge of maintaining such a list? Who would establish the criteria for being placed on or removing someone from the list? How would the list be accessed or distributed? Who would be allowed to access the list?

Here's how things usually work. If someone is not hired its usually because they failed to score high enough on the written, oral or physical agility exam, or there was something in their personal history that meet the criteria for disqualification, or they had a medical or psychological condition that met the criteria for disqualification.

Now, when you apply with an agency two things happen. You are fingerprinted and you sign a waiver allowing the department you are applying with access to you prior backgrounds. When your fingerprints are submitted, that agency learns about all the other government agencies you have applied with and using the waiver you signed, they go to them and get copies of your previous application, background, medical and psych records. If there was something in those records that met the criteria for disqualification, the new agency should conduct an independent investigation to verify that situation and if it also meets the new agency’s criteria for disqualification, you will be DQed again.

Often there is an incident in an applicant’s personal history that due to cultural or personal upbringing, the applicant sees absolutely nothing wrong with but which is disqualifying under department standards. After repeated disqualifications, the applicant wrongly believes they have been “blacklisted.”
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I don't mean employees blacklisting, I mean police blacklisting civilians as a personal vendetta.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayne bond View Post
        Thank you for your reply.

I don't mean employees blacklisting, I mean police blacklisting civilians as a personal vendetta.
        What does this even mean?

Comment

exactly what it says.

Comment

There’s a tinfoil forum for this kind of hogwash.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I have a legit case that seems to imply otherwise. I'm not suggesting it's a common problem, I'm asking a question not making an accusation.

Comment

I have a legit case that seems to imply otherwise. I'm not suggesting it's a common problem, I'm asking a question not making an accusation.
                What ever you are trying to imply is just not possible..........................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Like others have said, in today's world of micro-scrutinized policing its impossible for a cop to go rogue and have it out for someone out of some personal vendetta. Vehicle information that is captured, computers in the cars, cell phone pings, citizens and businesses recording...makes it impossible.

Now, is this a case of you keep getting pulled over or arrested time and time again? I've heard from plenty of folks over the years "you guys keep harassing me" but each encounter was legitimate and laws were being broken, so insert the Jim Carey meme....

Comment

exactly what it says.
                    If you want a thoughtful response you need to clarify and provide a lot more information.

Are we talking about a single officer who has taken enforcement action against someone they have a personal beef with, or a group of officers who have taken several enforcement actions against the same individual? In these cases, did the officers have a reasonable basis for taking action? Understand that in order to answer that last question, you have to personally know what was in the minds of every officer (what they were thinking) at the time. Unless you personally interviewed each officer, you will not know that and will just be guessing.

There are people here who are willing to answer reasonable inquiries, but no one is going to play 20 questions in order to pull the facts out of you and statements like "Exactly what it says" are meaningless. You need to spell out in exact detail what happened and how it happened. Don't guess or suppose, just tell us what you know for a fact that you can substantiate. Then some of us here may be able to give you a meaningful response.

I can offer this - a court decision just came out the other day from the 9th Circuit (an appeals court that usually sides with the criminal and not the police). I don't remember the citation so I can't quote it exactly. The essence was, a police officer arrested someone with whom he had a personal dispute. That person was later convicted. The person appealed, alleging the officer only arrested him because of their personal dispute. The court held that if the officer has probably cause to believe someone has committed a crime, that negates any personal animos and he is free to perform his duties. In other words, just because you have a beef with a cop doesn't give you a free pass to commit a crime in their presence.

I hope that helps, but again I'm just whistling in the dark because I don't know the facts of your case.
                    Last edited by L-1; 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Why don't you explain the circumstances of this "blacklisting".

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDude913 View Post
                        Why don't you explain the circumstances of this "blacklisting".
                        This would help. When I had a regular beat, I tried to know who the probable dealers were, knew where the sex offenders lived, knew the people that had mental issues and (usually how to calm them down if they got agitated),

I noticed from your profile that you're not from the US. Maybe we have a word for 'black listing'. I'm genuinely not familiar with it in the context of Police/Citizen encounters.
                        Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 06-05-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

If you believe you have a "legit case" then speak to an attorney.

Unless you're willing to share the details of whatever is going on AND are capable of formulating a specific question (or questions), nobody here will be able to give you any meaningful feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post
                            This would help. When I had a regular beat, I tried to know who the probable dealers were, knew where the sex offenders lived, knew the people that had mental issues and (usually how to calm them down if they got agitated),
                            Exactly. I've worked in small-town LE all of my career and it's part of the job to know your "customers." I know the drunks, the users and dealers, the mentals, and even the people who chronically don't have a driver's license. I know their houses and cars. I know their hangouts and who they hang with. Giving "regular customers" special attention is part of good police work.

The "regulars" frequently complain about being "profiled," "harassed." or "stalked" by the police. We don't make up the reason for our contact with them and it's not our fault if they're breaking the law. If they're a frequent offender and LE knows them, that's THEIR fault...
                            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

L-1, I was going to reference the same case. It would be Nieves v. Bartlett for anyone who wants to look it up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8721 users online. 422 members and 8299 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X