300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance between school and work?

I just recently got out of the military and will most likely be starting at a department in the next 3 months. I want to finish my BA and get a masters in Forensic Science and was wondering If it would be smart to attend school (online full time) during the academy and FTO period or just wait. I have no expectations in what policing will be like but, I realize I need to be competitive against my peers in the long run for my end goals in law enforcement. Thank You in advance!

Originally posted by UcWilson17 View Post
    I just recently got out of the military and will most likely be starting at a department in the next 3 months. I want to finish my BA and get a masters in Forensic Science and was wondering If it would be smart to attend school (online full time) during the academy and FTO period or just wait. I have no expectations in what policing will be like but, I realize I need to be competitive against my peers in the long run for my end goals in law enforcement. Thank You in advance!
    There's ambition...and then there's insanity.

Get hired, go through the academy, complete FTO, get comfortable and confident with the job, get used to the schedule and lifestyle. THEN decide if you're ready to add more to your plate. Good luck!

Comment

I appreciate the response! That is what I am leaning towards now! Thank You

Comment

You won’t have time until you’re off FTO. Don’t try it.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• just joe
          just joe commented
          Editing a comment
          This. Anything else and you are setting yourself up for failure.

Unless or perhaps even if there is some pressing need to complete school, I'd suggest waiting until you're off FTO and perhaps have a few months on your own before finishing school. You don't want to harm your work performance, but you also don't want your GPA to suffer while you're training.

On the other hand, don't do what I did and wait fifteen years to get it done.
        John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

There's ambition...and then there's insanity.

Get hired, go through the academy, complete FTO, get comfortable and confident with the job, get used to the schedule and lifestyle. THEN decide if you're ready to add more to your plate. Good luck!
          Agree 200 percent
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree with all of the above.

Keep in mind that because the talent pool for our profession is so shallow, that most agencies continuously run short-handed, and that results in lots of overtime. And if people don't volunteer to cover those shifts, the overtime will become mandatory. For the last 13 years, my normal work week has been around 70 hours a week. I don't know if I would be capable of doing school on top of 40 hours a week of police work, but I'm absolutely positive that I would not be able to do school on top of 70 hours a week of police work.

Comment

You want to put everything you can into both your job and school. I don't think it's humanly possible to both at the same time. Both will suffer and it may cause you to flunk out of the Academy. I was in the Army and it took me 5+ years to earn a BS. It can be done AFTER field trainig. An Academy classmate earned a BA and an MA while working nights.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8059 users online. 336 members and 7723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X