Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you overcome the fear of getting hurt ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you overcome the fear of getting hurt ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well long story short I really think I want to be a cop.

However After seeing the Very bad things that happen everyday to you guys I am having second thoughts. I do not want to put my Family and stuff in harms way.

Any Ideas ?
    Thanks for the help

Andy
    We remember the officers who we never really knew,
    Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few,
    With heavy hearts we mourn the officers in eternal rest,
    There's more to these people than the badge on their chest.

Fear

Originally posted by Artic_storm View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well long story short I really think I want to be a cop.

However After seeing the Very bad things that happen everyday to you guys I am having second thoughts. I do not want to put my Family and stuff in harms way.

Any Ideas ?
    Thanks for the help

Andy
    The fear of getting hurt is always present just not overwhelming even now after 13yrs. Unlike normal people me like most cops worry more about getting hurt as we age versus when we were young go get em rookies setting the world a fire.
    You take the precautions, look at my end quote. And you use your head. And you always watch peoples hands. ALWAYS.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Realize that injury is a part of the job. Realize that it may happen on what is seemingly a "normal" day and accept it. Know that if you're confronted with the possibility to be injured that you'll survive. Keep a positive mindset. That's what I do, seems to work for me. Oh yeah... do what Nightshift's sig says. If it's an ungodly hot day, wear your vest!

The one day I didn't wear my vest (yeah yeah, stupid I know) was the day I felt naked and unprotected. I'm never not wearing it again. If I have a shield on my chest I have a vest underneath.

If you accept fear it makes you stronger. Just my .02.
      sigpic

Comment

I overcome it by remembering that I have the training and tools to whoop on anyone I have to whoop on.

As the Marines say:

"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, mainly because I'm the biggest, baddest, SOB in the Valley of the Shadow of Death."

That may sound like false bravado, but it's true. I've got all the training I need; I've got all the physical conditioning I need. All I need is the confidence to know I can handle what the shift throws at me.

Comment

Getting hurt is always a concern....and not only from the bad guys......any number of situations can lead to an injury.....keep yourself in good physical condition and don't let the possibility of an injury affect the way you do your job. Sh*t happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
            I overcome it by remembering that I have the training and tools to whoop on anyone I have to whoop on.

As the Marines say:

"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, mainly because I'm the biggest, baddest, SOB in the Valley of the Shadow of Death."

That may sound like false bravado, but it's true. I've got all the training I need; I've got all the physical conditioning I need. All I need is the confidence to know I can handle what the shift throws at me.
            That's the stuff right there.

If you worry about getting hurt, you'll get hurt. If you put it way back in your mind and know you've prepared physically and mentally to do your job, then you'll be a-ok.

Comment

Like most have already said get your body in shape and your mind ready to face the fear and you will survive. Look at me I was shot on duty but what kept me alive was I didnt panic (revert to your training) and when I was lying there bleeding on the ground I knew I had a beautiful little girl who needed me more than anything to come home. Be ready to face your fears Know the possibility you might get hurt and love your family everyday like it was your last. Good luck in your career. Hope all this helps.
              ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Comment

Originally posted by pyxie View Post
                Like most have already said get your body in shape and your mind ready to face the fear and you will survive. Look at me I was shot on duty but what kept me alive was I didnt panic (revert to your training) and when I was lying there bleeding on the ground I knew I had a beautiful little girl who needed me more than anything to come home. Be ready to face your fears Know the possibility you might get hurt and love your family everyday like it was your last. Good luck in your career. Hope all this helps.

Best advice I have ever seen !!! Thank you sir !
                I will take that with me every day
                We remember the officers who we never really knew,
                Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few,
                With heavy hearts we mourn the officers in eternal rest,
                There's more to these people than the badge on their chest.

Comment

Hope you never lose you're fear of getting hurt. A healthy dose of fear keeps you from doing stupid things. Think of it as that little voice that tells you, "Um, I wouldn't do that if I were you." Now, if that fear gets to the point that it overwhelms you're ability to the do the job, its time to pull the plug.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

To be honest, I'm scared of getting hurt. I'm scared of getting killed, or shot. But everyday I wake up and put that uniform on, and I'm proud to do it. If I get hurt, at least there's several people that I've helped, and at least one personal demon that I've beaten, even if only for a day. I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world (don't let my girlfriend read that, she would get ****ed!).

This is the first job in years that I've had I wake up in the morning, and am excited to go to work. I may be new, but Imma do everything in my power to keep it that way.
                    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Originally posted by Artic_storm View Post
                      Best advice I have ever seen !!! Thank you sir !
                      I will take that with me every day
                      That's ma'am to you! Pyxie is a female officer, and a fine one at that. Hope you're feeling great Pyxie.
                      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Worry about getting hurt when you are popping alieve for muscle pain. Worry about it when you get out of the car at the end of the day and are so stiff you wonder how you ever got in there. Worry about it when you watch your kids sleep....or your wife wake up.

...but when its time to do business.....think about tactics and winning. No room for anything else right then.

(you can still have your "Oh **** that was close!" moment later )
                        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

For me, fear is like a heightend sence of awarness. With my 8 years between my Army MP training and my continuous police training, to include my personal physical training. I had the ability to save many lives, to include mine, and to defend myself. Plus over time I think you learn how to channel fear into confidence, that shows in the way you carry yourself, when faced with the challenges that comes to you everyday.

Comment

Never had a fear of getting hurt! Never thought about it!
                            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

It's not about getting over the fear. After 15 years it's still there, you just learn to push it aside and bury it until the situation is over. (then you deal with the shakes )
                              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5729 users online. 316 members and 5413 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X