300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding pistol registration/safety inspection

First and foremost, let me extend my gratitude to those men and women of law enforcement on here. I've been browsing on here for a month or so and finally decided to post. So, onto my question(s).....

In November, I purchased a Springfield Armory XD40. After picking the pistol up from the firearm store, I took it back to my local PD for the inspection. Right there, an officer and the dispatcher checked and compared the serial number on the firearm to my green Michigan Pistol Registration. After that, they told me they would call me in a few days when the inspection was completed and signed.

My question to the LEO community is during the course of the inspection, is it a common practice, or even legal, to fire the weapon?

I ask this because when I received my pistol back, it had definately been cleaned and oil was all over the slide. On the back of the registration it says that a cursory inspection of the firearm has been made and an inspection for mechanical defects of operational and safety mechanisms has not been made.
    I have absolutely no problem with any officer discharging my firearm as i'm very proud of my first pistol. I'd just like to hear if this is a common practice.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Pistol Registration

In Alabama, the registration of any firearm is not required by state law. To the best of my knowledge, no cities in the state require it either. In your case, you would be governed either by Michigan law, or an appropriate city ordnance. As to whether or not it is a policy requirement to actually fire your weapon, I really couldn't say. Usually, a safety inspection of a weapon can be accomplished without firing it. You might wish to check with your local PD concerning this.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

BTW, if this was a question that shouldn't be asked or is borderline, please let me know and I will delete the thread.

Comment

No, nothing wrong with the question.

Comment

I've never even heard of a "firearms safety inspection," but, then, Ohio doesn't have mandatory firearms registration.

The Springfield is a nice firearm. Maybe the officer just wanted to have a short dance with your new lady...
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3188 users online. 181 members and 3007 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X