Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emetophobia & Police work

Hello,

I'm new to these forums and I'm planning to take the LEO career path. I've been wanting to ask the following question for quite some time.

I suffer from emetophobia, which is a completely irrational fear of vomiting or seeing someone vomit. This is supposed to be some sort of mental illness, but I'm sure it could be treated.

The question is: According to your personal experience as a law enforcement officer, do you think that condition would hinder my future career. Should I get fully treated before I attempt to join?

Thanks

If seeing vomitting is a problem for you, it'll be a problem as an LEO. People injesting drugs/baggies/etc and you have to make them vomit so they don't die. People vomitting at scenes of carnage (murder/roadside fatalities/etc). That's the easy things too.

Comment

If seeing people vomit is a problem for you I'd consider a different career or at least wait until you are completely over it. If that's possible.
      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

People injesting drugs/baggies/etc and you have to make them vomit so they don't die. People vomitting at scenes of carnage (murder/roadside fatalities/etc). That's the easy things too.
        Do you encounter that kind of situation on a day-to-day basis? Also, do you eventually become desensitized to the gross factor?

Comment

Hmm, tricky. I can't say that I see people vomit every day but officers deal with a lot drunks and those chaps do tend to ... well, you know. I do have a colleague who has a phobia of germs. She wears leather gloves literally all the time and will throw away, say, a pen, if a prisoner touches it. She manages. Not sure what you can do protect yourself from seeing vomiting though.

Personally I have a phobia of blood tests. Just where I'm concerned - I have no problem seeing other people having them done, no fear of blood and no fear of needles. If there is a way of treating phobias, I would be genuinely interested to find out.
          I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hgab View Post
            Do you encounter that kind of situation on a day-to-day basis? Also, do you eventually become desensitized to the gross factor?
            No, and yes. After a while you start taking bets with other officers as to what will turn up, how much, if they vomit more than once, little things. I always compare it to my son and a crappy diaper. You never really know what it'll be or how much till you see it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5122 users online. 277 members and 4845 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X