Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another CCW Q.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another CCW Q.

    Say you are carrying your weapon in a concealable gun holster on the small of your back or on your hip. You are fully legal to carry. Anyway, say you are in a gas station and you drop some change and go to pick it up. You bend over to get it and your weapon shows for a few seconds until you are able to get it covered back up. You did not see the Police Officer standing in the corner but he saw your gun. What is the Officer to do? does he automatically pull his gun out and order you to the ground until he disarms you and finds out why you have the gun. Or does he simply come up to you and asks for ID. Maybe it just depends on the Officer and the mode he is in. Either way there is no way he's just not going to say anything...................... right?
    "Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

    People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made. ~Otto Bismarck

    "Don't put yourself in a position to investigate yourself" ~CommonSense

    "Now, what is the rule?" "Protect myself at all times."

    sigpic

  • #2
    If there are no other actions that would lead me to believe he has ill intentions on using the weapon, I would probably just go up and ask to see his permit. Most of the "robber-types" don't have holsters for their guns. Pockets work fine for them. Weapons being unintentionally shown are pretty common place.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe it just depends on the Officer and the mode he is in
      Depends on where you are -- for example, seeing rifles in a pickup is normal here...not quite in Cali.

      Permit-less open carry is legal in my state and CCW holders are everywhere. Not much reason to say anything.
      Last edited by JLee; 04-30-2007, 11:48 PM.
      summer - winter - work

      Comment


      • #4
        It would all depend on the circumstances on how you would be approached. I would still be very cautious with the person and at the right time and in a safe way ask to see ID and permit.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

        "You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, in my state everyone has a gun, so it wouldn't faze me much. Most of the time I can tell if they're a cop (I'm not telling how on a public board). However, I always keep an eye on the person, and I will usually nonchalantly push my parka back away from my gun.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yup....all depends
            An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

            Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CommonGoal View Post
              Say you are carrying your weapon in a concealable gun holster on the small of your back or on your hip. You are fully legal to carry. Anyway, say you are in a gas station and you drop some change and go to pick it up. You bend over to get it and your weapon shows for a few seconds until you are able to get it covered back up. You did not see the Police Officer standing in the corner but he saw your gun. What is the Officer to do? does he automatically pull his gun out and order you to the ground until he disarms you and finds out why you have the gun. Or does he simply come up to you and asks for ID. Maybe it just depends on the Officer and the mode he is in. Either way there is no way he's just not going to say anything...................... right?
              WOW you need to stop watching so much tv dude!! It is not in the best interest of any experience officer to escalate that situation to that extend. If you decide to use discretion and assume that he has a CCW or approach the citizen & ask him for a CCW (if it applies in that state) and verified that it is valid. No need for the Hollywood drama dude…

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FLPD698 View Post
                WOW you need to stop watching so much tv dude!! It is not in the best interest of any experience officer to escalate that situation to that extend. If you decide to use discretion and assume that he has a CCW or approach the citizen & ask him for a CCW (if it applies in that state) and verified that it is valid. No need for the Hollywood drama dude…
                Hollywood? I don't live in Hollywood but it sounds like you do "DUDE" . I have seen a Police Officer in my City do that very thing when a weapon was exposed. This is why I included it, I wanted to see what other LE would do if the situation occurred. Knowledge is power.
                "Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

                People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made. ~Otto Bismarck

                "Don't put yourself in a position to investigate yourself" ~CommonSense

                "Now, what is the rule?" "Protect myself at all times."

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FLPD698 View Post
                  WOW you need to stop watching so much tv dude!! It is not in the best interest of any experience officer to escalate that situation to that extend. If you decide to use discretion and assume that he has a CCW or approach the citizen & ask him for a CCW (if it applies in that state) and verified that it is valid. No need for the Hollywood drama dude…
                  I know a relatively anti gun trooper who would do the very same thing....screw his muzzle into your ear as he put it..... He's a great guy....but I"m glad he retired!
                  An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

                  Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It really depends like the other officers said. I work in a town where CCWs are pretty rare so you might get a little more extreme response. I personally would get a cover car coming up, and contact you (probably not at gun point.) That is just me. It also depends on the persons actions.

                    I will tell you this... if you really want to annoy a LEO when they come to your window on a traffic stop, dont tell them you have your gun or a CCW on you........ I had that happen the other day, NCIC/CCIC was slow and I didn't know until I was back at my car that the kid (23 or 24) had a CCW. I was furious, and he heard about it.

                    just a tip.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CommonGoal View Post
                      Hollywood? I don't live in Hollywood but it sounds like you do "DUDE" . I have seen a Police Officer in my City do that very thing when a weapon was exposed. This is why I included it, I wanted to see what other LE would do if the situation occurred. Knowledge is power.
                      OK conceal doesn’t mean “hide it between your butt cheeks” & wrap yourself in three layers of clothing. Second your city needs to sent all its tackle-berry officers for some training if they will literally act on impulse by the near sight of an expose firearm. If I was searching that individual perhaps I would take such precautions but with the above described situation anything that involves a felony arrest tactics is a little over the top.
                      Here in South Florida CCWs are carry often by our citizens & while F-YING some individuals I come across plenty of loosely cover firearms but never the less unless you bent over the weapon in not expose from plain sight of another person; which covers you under FL CH 790 laws. I can see an overly aggressive cop doing what you described which is totally unnecessary but never the less it happens. Let the actions dictate your re-action.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        if you have a licence to carry concealed,and you are not a criminal,if you are not acting strange,i assume an officer might wait until you leave the store,run your tag etc.it would be a stupid move for a cop to immediatly react,UNLESS the situation warrented it.dont count the chickens b4,etc.also,alot,actually most establishments post a noconcealed weapons poster.

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 6381 users online. 351 members and 6030 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X