300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what women can expect

i am about to enter the police academy in august and i would like to know what i can expect. also have any of you known for women to have a hard time with the dt and pt at academies. i am 24 year old young lady and i have always been athletic but i haven't been active in a while now and i just wanted to know how i can get into shape and be ready (mentally and physically) for the academy.

You can expect exactly what the men can expect.....there is not a different level for men and women....at least not where I am. You should be able to run a fair distance, be able to do pullups, situps, a dummy drag and climb walls. The academy is not to get you in shape so start working out now. Different academies will focus more on physical fitness so try talking with someone who knows your specific academy. Good luck.

As far as women having a hard time with PT the one that usually gets most DQ'd is the 6 ft wall and the dummy drag. Make sure you work on upper body strength.
    Last edited by Fuzz; 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM. Reason: Add text

Comment

Thanks For The Info.

Comment

Ask if there is a minimum fitness standard to start. Many times they will tell you that you should show being able to do X number of pushups, situps and run such and such distance.
        Figure if you can to 25 pushups and situps and run a couple of miles when you start the academy you'll be ahead of many of your classmates.

Comment

I was gonna respond, but Fuzz covered it all. But I will add this, since it caused me a great deal of discomfort some years back - get some really good running shoes!

Comment

Last edited by kruwl; 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

A facefull of OC
              si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

thanks for the info. i am working out now 5 days a week and doing multiple sets of pushups.

Comment

Modern Police

Originally posted by galeo View Post
                  thanks for the info. i am working out now 5 days a week and doing multiple sets of pushups.
                  I think you will have a smoother experience than most of the women did when I was entering lawenforcement 13 years ago. I saw one gal cry during Defensive Tactics Two week every day joint munipulation akido type training but I felt like crying too by the second week with being very sore and they made it through. I still see many female cops having issues on the shooting range not so much with hitting their targets but with munipulation of semiauto slides so I encourage you to build up you hand strength with a rubber ball or grip strengthener. The majority of Men have stronger hands and thats just a fact of life and efforts you make to have stronger hands will help give you an advantage. As for your treatment by Males I dont think it will be as big an issue as it once was because most just worry about themselves making it through. I used to have a bias towards female cops but ive seen a bunch of good ones over the years to change my mind on that a bit especially when it comes to follow up investigations and thourough complete reports. Women make excellent Investigators. I still have some bias though against them in the role of Patrol activities.
                  Last edited by Nightshift va; 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM. Reason: typo's
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4939 users online. 274 members and 4665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X