300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interdiction

I'm curious about US DEA drug interdiction and cooperation with US allies.

basically, the story I've got (required to undersatnd the question) goes like this: I live in northern thailand, and I see vast ammounts of organic drugs produced here (marijuana, mushrooms, a LOT of opium), and also vast ammounts of chemically produced drug (mostly meth, some ecstacy, a small but growing ammount of LSD). I speak, read, and can write thai, speak northern thai (very extreme accent, basically a seperate language in terms of grammar, although the words are similar), know a bit of burmese, and a bit of several tribal languages here.

I've got the interest in being a law enforcement officer. I just don't know which agency, if any, this even applies to. thai agencies are out, they're simply too corrupt in most cases to be worth working with, although I could join them. is there any international agency that I could join and work for, such as interpol? I know the DEA does some interdiction of the meth trade, but does anyone else do this?

and last but not least, I'm a full US citizen, born and raised there, I just live here now (long story).

anyway, thanks in advance for the info.
    -Toymaker

"what does this button do?"
    "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

Interpol is not a law enforcement agency. It is a kind of association between participating countries to facilitate the sharing of information and the apprehension of criminals that cross international borders. More than anything else, it allows a law enforcement agency in one country to communicate via an official channel with one in another country, which is sometimes and sometimes not helpful. Cultural differences and disparate legal systems muddy the waters considerably, and, as you mentioned, many of the police agencies in other countries are fundamentally corrupt and will protect criminals if it is in their best interest to do so.

Assuming that you are otherwise qualified, I suspect that any of several federal agencies would be proud to have someone with your language skills and knowledge of SE Asian culture. The DEA, FBI, and Diplomatic Security Service (Dept. of State) all come to mind, and I am sure there are others. You might even consider the CIA, although they are not a law enforcement agency and their work is very different from that of an LE agency.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

this is interesting advice, thank you very much for it.
      -Toymaker

"what does this button do?"
      "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

Comment

DEA has an office in Chiang Mai. You might consider going by and talking to one of them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6389 users online. 359 members and 6030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X