300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate School

It used to be that when only a high school education was required, a bachelors might be over education. Most agencies around me are increasing their education requirements to a bachelors degree SO do you feel that a Masters degree would render me over qualified? I dont want to make myself look good or show off but rather to advance by studies. Thoughts? Also, i know that alot of departments have educational reimbursements but i couldnt imagine working full time and attending graudate school. ??
    Smile and Wait for Flash

I'd rather hire someone with a solid work history than letters after their name. The police academy and field training is about all the education you need to be a cop, perhaps with the exception of classes in English and writing.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Unless you're going for a federal outfit that is enamored of grad degrees, I'd skip grad school until you've got a local LE job. Many agencies will see you as overqualified if you have a grad degree, or just misguided because a graduate education is not especially valued until you get into the supervisory ranks. If you're planning on getting your grad degree in an area relative to law enforcement, I think you'll find it will make a lot more sense once you have some time on the road, anyway.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

I'd get hired into a dept. first and then by all means continue your education. I don't agree that all you need is the police academy and a field training program. Times are changing and police officers need to be well educated to keep up with well educated criminals. There are a lot cops who further the educ. while on the job so like I said try to get hired into a PD first.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2946 users online. 138 members and 2808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X