Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect going into small agency?

i got my eye on a few agencies that dont follow the state PTs to enter their agency...how are they different from the bigger stricter departments?

FYI...im in Texas and soon to be state peace officer certified.
    Last edited by propilot5000; 04-29-2007, 11:07 PM.

Originally posted by propilot5000 View Post
    i got my eye on a few agencies that dont follow the state PTs to enter their agency...how are they different from the bigger stricter departments?

FYI...im in Texas and soon to be state peace officer certified.
    I can't speak to Texas agencies specifically, but the politics usually get worse as the size of the department decreases. In a small town, there are always a few people who are the big fish in the small pond (the "Boss Hogg" scenario), and they have a vested interest in remaining the big fish. If you get on their bad side, you have no place to hide. Most small-town PDs have either a chief who has been there forever, or one that is simply the latest in a long series. The "forever" guy figured out what he had to kiss and when early in the game, or, less often, he is the big fish. If the situation is the latter case, drive on, don't even slow down.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
      I can't speak to Texas agencies specifically, but the politics usually get worse as the size of the department decreases. In a small town, there are always a few people who are the big fish in the small pond (the "Boss Hogg" scenario), and they have a vested interest in remaining the big fish. If you get on their bad side, you have no place to hide. Most small-town PDs have either a chief who has been there forever, or one that is simply the latest in a long series. The "forever" guy figured out what he had to kiss and when early in the game, or, less often, he is the big fish. If the situation is the latter case, drive on, don't even slow down.
      Right on. The smaller the town/department the bigger chance of everybody knowing everybody. I'm not saying all small PD's are like that but there are a lot. Do some research on whatever dept's you plan to apply to. GOOD LUCK!
      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I worked in a small town for a number of years and really enjoyed it. Unlike in a big city, in a small town the mayor, city council members, fire chief, etc. all know your name. People used to stop by my chief's house whether he was working or not because everyone knew who he was and were he lived and they wanted to talk to "the chief". You don't want to **** off the chief, the mayor or the safety committee. If you do get on, follow the lead of those who look like they know what they are doing and aren't on the chief's S list.

Comment

I guess I have been blessed. The small town I worked for prior to my current gig was very progressive and was largely supportive of the dept. There were, of course, issues, however all in all it was a fantastic place to work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5065 users online. 318 members and 4747 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X