300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• law for transporting firearms

Hi guys! I'm new here and I was just curious on the laws of transporting firearms in your vehicle if your a non permit holder. Thanks everyone!

Depends on the state. Usually, transporting a firearm with the bolt open, unloaded (with the ammo in a separate compartment of the vehicle), and unaccessable to the occupants of the vehicle (either by putting it in the trunk or by transporting it in a locked container) will have you in the clear for most states. You'll probably also want to put on a gun or trigger lock.

You states' laws may vary, of course.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My State is Missouri. So as long as you follow the guidlines you stated, can someone under 21 transport it in his vehicle? ammo in seperate place, and gun locked under key?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the specifics on Missouri law. Some states restrict possession of a handgun under the age of 21, no matter what its condition. Likewise, some states prohibit persons under the age of 18 to possess any firearm.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...n/missouri.pdf

Comment

Hey, Thanks for the link first of all! I would like to say its really late and im tired but man was that kinda complex. I read as much as i could and the understanding i came to was.... as long as its not a readily weapon and is kept in the glove box of the passenger side of the vehicle it is ok for anyone, it doesnt specify an age?. Anyone over 21 does not have to worry about that, he can have it readily. so did i get that right or did i miss something big time?

Comment

Can anyone verify my understanding to this? thank you

Comment

Subdivisions (1), (5), (8) and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game...

Basically... keep it in your trunk, unloaded, and cased and you should be fine. You can transport a concealable (key word) weapon in the passenger compartment if you have a ccw permit, but you have to be 21 or older. You can't transport any long-gun in the passenger compartment. If you don't have a permit, don't put it in your glove box... put it in the trunk.

Hope this helps.
                sigpic

Comment

Check with your state

Originally posted by trebel14 View Post
                  Can anyone verify my understanding to this? thank you
                  Federal Law (Covering anywhere in the Country) supercedes any other law. And that says gun seperate from ammo and locked to where you can't get to it. So, no your glove compartment doesn't work, thats obviously accessable and may get you shot when you reach for your registration when pulled for your music being too loud! Virginia it's ok if it's in plain view or kept as foremention(Fed law). Most other states are way more restrictive on transport of weapons. If you plan on having a gun for protection you better check your state law on it.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

im not looking to have it for protection, just whenever transporting it to and from the shooting range. sometimes i have to meet my dad there because he will already be away from home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6475 users online. 351 members and 6124 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X