Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controling your natural fear response...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ask80
    Forum Member

• ask80
    replied
    it's hard if not impossible to control your fear response. it all comes with experience. when i started, my adrenaline went up the roof on my first code 3 run, first felony car stop, first everything. lol.

dealing with people that yell at you? you get that a lot in the academy and from your wife, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. don't take any criticism personally and patience is the key. they are yelling at the uniform, not you. if you lose control, then you lost the game. and usually you'll end up on the news for excessive force. you never know who's video taping you. yes , sometimes i wanna smack some idiots around, but i'd lose my badge and possible be in jail.

it is natural for people to be really nervous and scared when getting pulled over by cops. it's not an everyday thing. i was scared and nervous when i was pulled over in college. the lights and sirens scare people. cuz it means they are in trouble. i pulled over an old guy, who was shaking and stuttering real bad. i thought he was having a medical episode, but turns out he told me he was real nervous. i told him to relax and the reason i pulled him over was a broken tail light. so i checked his DL , registration, insurance, etc... he was clean so i let him go with a warning. and then he was all relaxed and calm.

Leave a comment:

• JLH81
    Forum Member

• JLH81
    started a topic Controling your natural fear response...

Controling your natural fear response...

I am just curious how you LEO's control your natural fear response. I guess my best example of this would be doing something such as a high risk traffic stop, or a really violent Domestic. Also, how do you deal with someone yelling at you, and constantly threatening you. I am thinking that you would try to hide your fear, especially with someone that has the potential of really harming you. I just often think that it would be really hard to do. Also, when you do traffic stops, does the average Joe seem really nervous when you approach him/her? I know that I everytime I got pulled over, my heart just about drops when the lights go on. This is not because I have anything illegal on me, or I did anything awfully bad, it just seems like it's a natural reaction. I'm just curious how other people seem when you pull them over.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3381 users online. 226 members and 3155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X