300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Disqualification?

I am a 31 year old man living in San Diego County and am seriously considering a career as a LEO. My diving record is crystal clear and I have never had any run-ins with the law before. I have a BA in History and have been in the same successful job for 10 years. I have never used any hard drugs but did smoke MJ a few times in college 10+ years ago. That said, I became extremely ill 14 months ago and on the advice of several of my doctors took two hits off of a joint. I was losing weight uncontrollably from a lack of appetite and when I did eat something I could not keep it down. When they had exhausted all other avenues to increase my appetite, they thought the THG might do the trick.

The moment I did it, I knew it was wrong and I stopped but technically even the small amount I smoked was in my system. I want to be honest in the application process but would hate to be automatically DQ’d for this event. Am I just trying to justify a bad decision I made in the heat of a bad situation? Or will most departments be able to see it for what it really was… Just a sick guy trying to be able to keep a bowl of rice down without having to go to the hospital. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well...even one hit off of a joint is marijuana usage, and therefore would most likely DQ you. What would concern me just as much though is your illness. If you were sick enough (and usually doctors only reccomend Marijuana for certain types of terminal illness or cancer) I would be concerned about that most. Regardless of the reasoning, that is recent marijuana use and whatever illness you had would be a big concern as well, I would imagine. Good luck to you.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

I believe your medical condition would be more of an issue, not that marijauna would be ignored.Good luck!
      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

The MJ usage itself is probably not a DQ but the recentness of it could be. I agree that the illness could be a bigger issue.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Automatic DQ

I agree that the illness would be more of a potential issue than the MJ use. Still, as recently as the use was, it too could be an issue.

Comment

It really depends on the department.

Usually they have time restrictions, like not using marijuana in the last ___ years. With your medical condition it might be reasonably explained. The best you can do is roll the dice. But list it up front and be totally forthcoming about it (it would come up on the polygraph anyway so look open and honest).

Comment

I think Kabal's post hit the nail right on the head. I've personally never tried Marijuana but none of my local agencies are not so extreme/black and white about Marijuana useage. Sure with dealers, habitual users, etc but a few times, with one basically explained, I'd have a hard time believing that that's an automatic dq.

And as far as the illness goes, if you're able to do your job, I'm pretty sure they can't discriminate against you. I'm not real knowledgeable on workplace law but I really don't think they can refuse to hire you solely because of being ill IF you're able to perform the required functions of the job. With that said, that doesn't mean they can't use the old informal system and say they didn't hire you because of something else but I don't think that's right.

Good luck.

Comment

When I said it was an automatic DQ, it was in reference to the time frame. I don't know of any departments that are ok with any illegal drug use (even if it is just marijuana) only one year ago. And in regards to what I said about his illness, I find it hard to believe that someone with an illness serious enough to make him waste away and use MJ to even keep food down could have cleared up quickly and left no lasting effects on his health. Maybe I am wrong, but most illnesses of that severity could DQ him during the medical portion of his application process even if the marijuana didn't. Again it is different for every agency and it doesn't hurt to try. I just think the chances are pretty slim. My advice...put some time between you and your drug use and illness to prove you are responsible and healthy (fit for the job).
                I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Cali medicine

Originally posted by skinsfan76 View Post
                  I am a 31 year old man living in San Diego County and am seriously considering a career as a LEO. My diving record is crystal clear and I have never had any run-ins with the law before. I have a BA in History and have been in the same successful job for 10 years. I have never used any hard drugs but did smoke MJ a few times in college 10+ years ago. That said, I became extremely ill 14 months ago and on the advice of several of my doctors took two hits off of a joint. I was losing weight uncontrollably from a lack of appetite and when I did eat something I could not keep it down. When they had exhausted all other avenues to increase my appetite, they thought the THG might do the trick.

The moment I did it, I knew it was wrong and I stopped but technically even the small amount I smoked was in my system. I want to be honest in the application process but would hate to be automatically DQ’d for this event. Am I just trying to justify a bad decision I made in the heat of a bad situation? Or will most departments be able to see it for what it really was… Just a sick guy trying to be able to keep a bowl of rice down without having to go to the hospital. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                  Tell who you apply with that your doctor prescribed Marijuana and get a note from your doctor confirming it then sign a wavier allowing the investigators to speak to him about it. I think your serious illness may be more of a DQ than a medical prescribed Marijuana use.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I think a great deal of it will depend on what the medical records say. If the records showed your doctor recommeneded marijuana, and also states your illness was a one time thing or whatever, you may have a chance. It will be an uphill battle, but you should really know what those records say.

Comment

Tell the truth and see. You obviously know you should, and will, tell the truth and they will recognize it as such. You sound like an honest guy, good luck in the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3115 users online. 149 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X