300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My predicament with becoming LEO

Ok, ever since I was very young I wanted to become a cop. The only problem was, in my neighborhood it wasn't the most popular career choice. I soon lost interest in the police and started to look up to the older dealers and gangmembers in my area. One thing led to another and by the time I turned 13 I ended up apart of Rollin 20s NHB. For those that don't know, that means I was a Blood gangmember. Soon I was selling drugs and had many run ins with the local police but one way or another never got arrested. I soon got expelled from school for being apart of a gang brawl and having other suspensions on my record. By then I had felt pretty low, seeing what was going on around me and what I was apart of disgusted me. I still felt the feelings I would get when I was younger with the police lights and sirens flashing by me, and I knew deep down thats what I wanted to be apart of. My mom managed to move me out of the city into the suburbs and a new school where I'm currently enrolled with a 3.2 GPA playing football. It's only been less than a year but I'm really enjoying it and have now come to terms with what I want to do with my life. I want to become a police officer.
    I'm 17 going on 18 in my senior year right now and I've got my whole life ahead of me, but I worried my past is going to restrain my options. I'm sure I'm still on the cities Gang List, even though I haven't been active in quite a while and have cut ties with almost everyone from my past. Take into account this is the eastcoast, not the westcoast so hopefully the gang threat isn't taken as seriously over here as it is over there. Regardless, I want this more than anything else in the world. I just don't know where to start, and with my past what I'm going to have to worry about. Someone please help me to know what I have to look forward to in trying to become a LEO.

Much appreciated.

i hope you have a thick skin, so to be honest. you have no chance. sorry to tell you.

way too many serious red flags.
    1. former gang member
    2. selling drugs
    3. run ins with the law ( not sure what they are)
    4. expulsion and suspensions from high school from gang stuff
    5. you said you probably are still on "cities gang lists"

gang problems are serious everywhere. it's VERY serious here in CA. ca has numerous gang problems. just come to LA and visit. there's blood and crips here, ms13, other hispanic gangs, asian gangs, etc.

you need to cut ties with ALL your gang friends, not "almost everyone"

if you wanted to be a cop when you were young, then why did you do all those stuff you just listed? i don't understand some peoples that say they wanted to be a cop when they were a kid. and then they get arrested, do drugs, and worse...

Comment

Probably not, but anythings possible with the right amount of dedication and luck.
      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Tell you what. Why don't you try on some of Uncle Sam's clothes for a few years first. That goes a long way in the eyes of many of us. Especially if you have the capacity to serve with honor.

Comment

Don't even waste your time preparing for a law enforcement career. It isn't going to happen. You may be able to work in some other field, though, such as gang prevention, or education. Having grown up around gangs, or even having family members involved (you can't choose your family) can be one thing; being a gang member and dealing drugs are automatic disqualifiers.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Predicament

Gangs are taken as seriously on the East Coast as they are on the West Coast. They are also taken very seriously in the South. I'm not going to tell you not to apply, but you're facing some pretty stiff up hill issues. I'm referring to the drug sales (felonies in most cases), gang associations, run ins with LE agencies. I applaud your efforts at turning your life around, keep them up no matter what you decide on for a career. Law enforcement may not be in your future, but there are other worthwhile endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
              Tell you what. Why don't you try on some of Uncle Sam's clothes for a few years first. That goes a long way in the eyes of many of us. Especially if you have the capacity to serve with honor.
              I agree with the above post. In fact being in the military and making a career out of it is very rewarding and the benefits are great. I would say don't give up on LE but dont get your hopes up. LE in the military maybe. Good luck but you have to remember there are more than enough very qualified applicants out there looking for LE careers. Only the best candidates are going to be picked, as they should.

Comment

if you go uncle sams route, maybe you can try the MP route... not sure if they have strict requirements as regular LEOs

Comment

IMO, you have 2 chances--- VERY slim & none. We have former gang members on PPD (don't ask me how ) so anyhting's possible. Those that suggested the military are probably giving you the best advice. Depending on the Agency they'll look at your gang affiliation, whether you've been caught & convicted of crimes or not, as a character flaw and simply equate it as being in organized crime (which it is).You'll have to own up to it,it'll show in your background inv., assuming you get that far,and if you deny it,you're caught lying & that's grounds for immediate disqualification. Unfortunately you've painted yourself into a corner and now you'll have to live with those decisions......good luck.

Comment

This is a tough crowd, so I applaud your willingness to put yourself out there. As others have stated, LE is probably not going to be for you...not for a long, long time anyway. That doesn't mean you can't protect and serve your community in the meantime.

You have the potential to truly help some young people who are coming of an age, to keep them from that same path you went down. When I show up (suburban white girl) and try to talk to these kids, they know I don't truly understand where they're coming from and shut me down before I even open my mouth. You, however, have walked the walk and have a better chance of reaching them before its too late. Stay in school, get a college degree, and check with your local police department about helping them out with at risk youth.

If you show some true desire to do right, and walk the line for several (well, quite a few) years, LE may not be completely out of reach. It might take 10-15 years, but if you really want it you will do what it takes. Even if not in a sworn position, you could provide consultation to agencies looking to reduce gang crime or vamp up intelligence efforts.

Comment

I appreciate everyone posting in here. For those that said military, that has definately been an idea of mine, I've actually been talking to a recruiter. For 11b101abn, I've actually been considering having Airborne in my contract.
                      For those that said a career in LEO is definately out of the option, I forgot to state two facts that are in my favor. One is that for the city I want to apply for, I have a cop who would be willing to reccomend me. I actually ran into him while I was getting in trouble and he befriended me and was one of the people who steered me down the right path in life. For his department, which is in a city, he has the record for the most number of arrests, and many merits. I'm hoping his reccomendation could help. Also, in the city I plan on applying for, a very close family friend is on the review board for accept police and fd. He said he could maybe help me out too. Also, for those who may have been confused, I have a clean record.

Comment

Those are points in your favor, but ultimately it is the state who will decide if you meet standards. In NC, for instance, even though you have a clean arrest record you would not meet criteria for peace officer certification because of your history with selling drugs. You don't have to be convicted or even arrested, merely have committed the crime to be denied.

Comment

Well, I'm more than understanding with being denied. Does anyone know if my past would also effect my becoming FD.

Comment

I would say yes, that it would DQ you. As stated earlier, you dont have to be convicted of the crime to be disqualified, and if you dont tell them about it in the beginning I'm sure the background investigation will show it.

Comment

Well, I guess for the moment I'll have to remain being a Volunteer Firefighter and see what happens later on. I appreciate everyones response.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2009 users online. 132 members and 1877 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X