300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will taking pain meds disqualify me?

So I’m about to go into the academy and been doing my research about what would disqualify me as a police officer. A few years ago I had an accident at work, claimed workman’s comp because I hurt my back. I’m perscribed norcos going on three years now. My question is would taking norcos for back pain disqualify me from being a police officer.

Originally posted by Sean_derm View Post
    So I’m about to go into the academy and been doing my research about what would disqualify me as a police officer. A few years ago I had an accident at work, claimed workman’s comp because I hurt my back. I’m perscribed norcos going on three years now. My question is would taking norcos for back pain disqualify me from being a police officer.
    This is for the agency physician to decide...but my guess is that you would be disqualified either because

1) your back injury is so severe that you cannot perform the duties of a police officer and/or would pose a financial liability (further on-duty injury, worker's comp, disability retirement etc.), or

2) you're an addict.

Either way, no agency is going to hire someone strung out on opioids. I suggest you save your time and money and find something else to do with your life.

Comment

• Sean_derm
      Sean_derm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the harsh response lol. But it makes sense so I can’t be too mad. I use to take two a day for back pain but now it’s one every couple days because the pain has subsided. Do you think I should try to wean myself off them now or is it already a loss cause?

Talk to your doctor.

Comment

• Sean_derm
      Sean_derm commented
      Editing a comment
      About weening off or...?

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      Both.
      Doing the job and "weening off."

All. Both...

Did you disclose your WC injury?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Sean_derm
      Sean_derm commented
      Editing a comment
      All both what exactly ?

I haven’t even gotten into the academy yet, looking Into things first, but would having a workman’s comp injury hurt me as well?

Are you all not seeing my responses?

Comment

Your WC back injury, for which you are STILL taking narcotics and being treated, precludes you from being hired: you don’t meet standards and are taking narcs,

Comment

• Sean_derm
        Sean_derm commented
        Editing a comment
        Even if I stop taking them?

Orthopedic injuries are one of the leading causes of costly police injuries and disability retirements. The fact that you already have one, makes you susceptible to reinjury and more likely to incur a premature disability retirement. Additionally, in many states if a prior injury is made worse by a new injury by as little as 1%, the latest employer becomes financially liable to provide lifetime medical care for the entire injury. No prospective employer wants to be financially on the hook forever, for damage caused by prior employment.

Persons taking controlled substance pain killers, even if they are prescribed, are not supposed to operate motor vehicles, let alone be entrusted with firearms and put in a position where they must make life and death decisions. Can you imagine the headlines – Cop, on drugs shoots suspect, or Cop on narcotics kills three in high speed pursuit. It wouldn’t matter if you did everything right – you and your employing agency would be toast.

Print this out http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Musculo.pdf While it is California’s medical hiring standards for applicants with ortho issues, the medical principles and standards behind it are fairly universal. Send a copy to your ortho doc and ask him to read it. Then ask him to pretend he is the police department’s physician who is being paid to look after their interests and not yours. Finally, ask him if he would approve you for hiring based on these standards, knowing what he does about your medical condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Sean_derm View Post
        Are you all not seeing my responses?
        No, your comments are showing up.

To answer some of your questions...

1) yes, you should discuss your career aspirations with your personal doctor (or doctors). While they aren't making the hiring decisions they are the ones who know the most about your past injury, current condition and long-term prognosis. Are you able to sit in a car for hours? Stand post all day? Wear body armor? Carry heavy gear? What are your limitations?

2) yes, you should talk to your pain doctor before going off your meds. Three years is a pretty long time to have been on this stuff. Also discuss alternatives for pain management. (This should have been done already regardless of career plans!)

3) Filing a legitimate workman's comp claim in and of itself should not be held against you. However, if there is any suspicion that you may have have been "milking" your work-related injury then that's obviously a huge red flag. I don't know the exact nature of your injury...but three years on opioids suggest either a serious injury...or someone taking advantage of the system. The problem you're going to run into is that in order to get hired you'd likely have to downplay the severity of your injury...while you possibly had to exaggerate the severity for the worker's comp claim (and to obtain narcotics for years). [My department actually had an applicant who inadvertently admitted to workman's comp fraud and was subsequently charged so I suggest you tread lightly.]
        Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

So all in all..... I should look into a different career path? Even if my back pain is subsiding and I ween off my meds?

Comment

• DallasMSU
            DallasMSU commented
            Editing a comment
            yes it seems like that's what they are saying.

You have a WC injury. Any agency that would hire you would have to be willing to buy your medical problem for the rest of your life. You also have three years of narcotic use.

What do you think?

Comment

Taking norcos for 3 years, your body has either built up a tolerance and it is not treating your pain or you've become dependent/addicted to it. You will most likely have some withdrawal symptoms if you quit cold turkey.

You need to talk to your doctor. If you're pain is really that bad you probably wouldn't even make it through an academy, if you were even hired.

Your liver is getting crushed in the meantime with all those narcotics in your system.

Comment

The injury itself would be disqualifying at my agency. Part of our hiring process includes an independent back xray.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sean_derm;n6756229]So I’m about to go into the academy and been doing my research about what would disqualify me as a police officer. A few years ago I had an accident at work, claimed workman’s comp because I hurt my back. I’m perscribed norcos going on three years now. My question is would taking norcos for back pain disqualify me from being a police officer. [/QUOTE

Sorry to say, but find another line of work. I injured my back in 2008 in Iraq, and it never healed, tweaked it multiple times since then, ended up with a fractured spine and on meds to control pain. My back could not handle the pressure of body armor and eventually I asked to be relocated to Dispatch. Do yourself a favor and find a different way to serve (dispatch is OK).
                Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5287 users online. 201 members and 5086 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X