300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Brutality?

Hi All - I've never had anything but the UTMOST respect for police officers, simply because you / they / all of you...deserve it. My question is however - when you arrest someone (regardless of their innocense - because isn't that for the Judge to decide? - or am I wrong here aas well?)
    Is it legal / ok / acceptable - for the police officer to abuse, harm, injure, cause physical pain.......Is this a nomal practice? Thank you

Originally posted by shannabeth View Post
    Hi All - I've never had anything but the UTMOST respect for police officers, simply because you / they / all of you...deserve it. My question is however - when you arrest someone (regardless of their innocense - because isn't that for the Judge to decide? - or am I wrong here aas well?)
    Is it legal / ok / acceptable - for the police officer to abuse, harm, injure, cause physical pain.......Is this a nomal practice? Thank you
    The answer is yes and no. It is not acceptable to "abuse" anyone, but in the course of arresting someone, their actions will dictate if they are injured or feel pain. Using force to effect an arrest is not pretty and can/will result in pain/injury, frequently to both officer and suspect. The main thing to remember is this: If you resist arrest or detention, regardless if you are guilty or innocent of any other crime, it will turn out badly for you in the end.

Comment

Sometimes crooks get combative while being taken into custody, and a certain amount of force is required to make the arrest.

That's about all I can give ya, without having any actual details
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

No resistance, no pain. All things being equal, it's not legal/ok/acceptable to abuse, harm, injure a compliant suspect who offers absolutely no resistance. However, the suspect's level of resistance causes us to apply an equal, or a certain amount of force, which may result in injury. This was a very broad question, and I gave you a very general answer.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

There is no place for abuse in law enforcement. There are people arrested everyday that practically put the handcuffs on themselves because they are so cooperative. Then there are those who dont cooperate. They run, punch, fight, kick, spit, etc..... and we use the appropriate force to overcome their resistance. One of the many problems is that the public usually sees the second half of the incident. They dont see the suspect's actions, but often see the reaction by the police which to them looks like poor suspect didnt do anything wrong when in reality he just kicked an officer 30 seconds ago. Another problem is people think that the fight is always over when handcuffs go on. Believe it or not suspects still kick, try to run, spit, head butt, etc even in handcuffs.

Another issue to think about is the general publics lack of knowledge in arrest techniques or use of force. Pain compliance is a great tool for an uncooperative suspect. If they fight or dont cooperate a wrist lock or other pain compliance technique will cause great discomfort, but goes away as soon as suspect complies with no lasting harm. Unfortunately all the public sees is poor innocent suspect screaming. One last thing to remember....we are not here to be hurt or injured and we do not have to use the same amount of force a suspect uses. We are allowed to use whatever reasonable force to overcome resistance and effect an arrest. If someone wants to fistfight they are going to get pepper sprayed, tasered, batoned,etc. If someone pulls a knife they are going to get shot. One of the best ways to learn about your local police department and use of force is to go to a citizens academy...it opens a lot of eyes to what actually happens.

Comment

Citizens are required by law, in most states, to submit to a lawful arreest by an officer, without resistance! If they do use resistance or force to overcome the officer's actions, the officer is justified in using the necessary amount of force to overcome that resistance or force. There is an escalating scale of force available to the officer and he/she must be able to accurately articulate the necessity for that use - up to and including taking a life. The phrase taught to all officers: "Use the level of force that is one step above that being exhibited by the suspect(s)."

The resistance by the arrestee can be active or implied; violent or nonviolent. The officer then uses what is necessary to overcome the suspect so neither is unnecessarily injured and both can continue their day without complications.

Oft-times a citizen observes a scuffle between an officer and a suspect and perceives that the force used by the officer was improper or excessive. That is generally when that citizen has not been totally privy to all of the exigent circumstances involving the arrest.

Never be too quick to judge or form an opinion without all of the facts.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Police Brutality.

In addition to the previous posts, all of which offer great advice, consider this. There is an element in this nation that would have you believe that every action a police officer takes to arrest a suspect is brutality. I won't call these people liberals, because to do so, would be unfair to liberals. I won't say that the media is totally responsible for this mind set, although individually some members of the media are. We have seen a generation taught to deny individual responsibility for it's actions. That is part of the problem. It doesn't take Hillary Clinton's village to raise a child, it takes parents and teachers who have guts enough to take responsibility for their actions and decisions. It then takes these same people with guts enough to teach responsibility to their children. Thousands of arrests are made by police on a daily basis. The great majority of these are effected without incident. In cases where improper action on the part of Officers is suspected, there are procedures in place to investigate and deal with any improper conduct. Your local drug dealer, car thief, gang-banger, or burglar have no such rules.

Comment

I smell something.........
                Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Ok, a simplified answer. The police are to use, when arresting a subject, the minumum amount of force NECESSARY to affect a LAWFUL arrest. If that minumum amount of force causes pain or discomfort to the arrestee, then so be it. Resisting a LAWFUL arrest will only cause the arrestee more pain.

nuff said.........Yes, i am su****ious of the question.
                  retired, NOT retarded

Comment

1. Abuse = NO
                    2. Pain Compliance = If needed to make an arrest on non-compliant subject
                    3. Injury = It happens (see #2)

Comment

I don't take my suspects out in the middle of the woods to beat them senseless, even though sometimes I may think they need it, but I would NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER abuse, injure intentionally, or cause pain. The only time I wold intentionally cause pain is to gain compliance of the suspect, and then immediately reduce that force as soon as I have the situation under control, and have the suspects compliance.
                      You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post

Yeah, A TROLL!

They keep coming here like a stray dog...because they get fed.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                          You too huh.

Comment

I did not see the only LEO reply until I had posted this so I deleted it
                            Last edited by Royale; 04-29-2007, 08:34 AM. Reason: I dint see the rule about non officers replying until I had posted it

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain View Post
                              You too huh.
                              *inhaling deeply* It's a heady smell, kinda ova mixture of bridge moss, stinky cheese, and B.O.
                              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6168 users online. 320 members and 5848 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X