Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal best is a .47 BAC. I currently hold the local record with 4 OWI's in one night.

The Wisconsin state record is .74 BAC. Rumor has it the sample came out clear with an olive.
    \

Comment

highest BAC

.42 was my highest, I stopped the 18 year old female for 75 m.p.h. in a 35 m.p.h. zone. My best night was 5 D.U.I.'s in one shift. I needed a beer after that shift.
      Zuko PlumItalic

Comment

I am 6 weeks into my FTO program and have yet to come upon a drunk driver. I have spoken with my dept's dui gurus and they mainly find drunks speeding. Is there any other real good secrets or clues besides speeding to catch DUI's? Besides speeding is there like a solid clue that gives away a drunk driver? If you wish to keep this 43 private please pm me. Also what are the best times and days to catch DUI's.
        My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

I have heard (but not personally witnessed) "professional" drunks who appear quite sober with very high BAC. A doctor told me that in some cases, the body coverts from running on protien and carbs to running on alcohol.

I wonder, if you put one of them into detox, would they starve to death??
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Early 80's, my dept got one of the first DUI grants in the state. There were 4 of us assigned. We weren't supposed to do anything else except "officer needs help" kind of things. We were never dispatched on "routine" calls. Anyone in patrol stopped a possible DUI, they'd call one of us to "clean it", and of course, we handled the ones we stopped on our own. (Beach city a little south-west of L.A.) On the nights when you were the only DUI guy, you could be pretty busy. My most was 10 in one night, a couple of times. 72 was my highest month. There were a couple of guys who did more. One of my partners had 13 in one night. We didn't have as much DUI-paperwork in those days, and the officer who made the stop wrote a "supplemental" detailing the PC for the stop. So, on a lot of arrests, I just had to do the FST, the chemical test and an arrest report. I think the grant estimated something like 500 DUI arrests for the department the first year and we ended up with over 2000. At the time, we had about 100 sworn officers.

We got to be pretty good at estimating the BAC...The scary ones were the ones we thought would be close to borderline (.10 in those days) and would then blow something in the .2's. I don't recall seeing any .4's personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
              I have heard (but not personally witnessed) "professional" drunks who appear quite sober with very high BAC.
              One of my personal favorites was actually a cousin I popped for OWI. He was walking, talking and although clearly drunk, seemed fairly coherent. He recognized me and even talked about the last family reunion. Hit him on the Intoximeter and he came up a .44! Took him for a blood sample to make sure, and that was a fact.

Around here we routinely see OWI's in the mid to high .2's and see .3's a couple times a month. We excel at having "professional" drunks in these parts.
              \

Comment

Originally posted by robert2006 View Post
                I am 6 weeks into my FTO program and have yet to come upon a drunk driver. I have spoken with my dept's dui gurus and they mainly find drunks speeding. Is there any other real good secrets or clues besides speeding to catch DUI's? Besides speeding is there like a solid clue that gives away a drunk driver? If you wish to keep this 43 private please pm me. Also what are the best times and days to catch DUI's.
                I went months without getting one. Then they all came at once

Drunks don't look like people think. They aren't always all over the road, swerving, failing to stop, and driving like a "drunk". (That doesn't make them any less dangerous, however, as they do make critical driving errors when tasks require their attention to be divided).

That's why I never got a drunk for a few months. I'd follow a car and concentrate on it to see if it was weaving, stopping short, making wide turns, etc. Drunks don't do that as much as many people think.

My drunks have come mainly from equipment violations. My first was stopped for failing to stop leaving a private drive. My last one I got because he had his music up too loud. Only one out of the nine I've had this year did I take one look at and think "There's a drunk".

If I want to find a drunk, I hit my jurisdiction's "bar district". There are only two bars there, and one private Eagles club, but it's the main thoroughfare for party-goers coming out of the nearby city to their homes in my jurisdiction. I just cruise up and down, making a bunch of stops.

I'll PM with some more info...

Comment

Once saw a .82 at the hospital, brought in by ambulance. I thought people died before that range but this guy survived.

Highest driving was a .42. Professional drunk.

Comment

If possible, I recommend you go through NHTSA's 24 hour FST & DUI Detection class. It includes the main methods of detection, stats, and 2 days of "wet labs." Basically you bring in volunteer drinkers and run them through several batteries of SFST's. It was one of the best classes I've ever attended. I am now an instructor.

I won't give away all the secrets, but some of the best indicators I have seen are inconsistent turn signals (nowhere to turn, or a mile or more before turn), headlights off at night, and weaving. Of course speed is always a good one.

There is no "best time" to catch DUI's, but obviously the midnight shifts catch more than other shifts. The bars close at 3am in most cities so it's probably a good idea that there are going to be some impaired drivers on the road around these times. If you think about it, the only vehicles on the road at these times are garbage trucks, krispy kreme trucks, DUI's, and cops.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I don't know about your agency but FTO training goes on during day shift around here. Thus, fewer drunks are out.
                      Last edited by westcoast; 05-16-2007, 11:01 PM.
                      CBP Officer
                      Written- Feb. 09
                      Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
                      Physical- Apr. 09
                      Medical- May 09
                      Medical Update- Jul. 09
                      Background Investigation- Aug. 09
                      Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
                      Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
                      Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Originally posted by jbplc_66 View Post
                        Hello LEOs

I am just curious as to what the highest BAC you've seen a drunk blow. Also, what is your record of getting drunks off the road in a single day.

Thanks for all you guys/gals do.

I had an emergency detention for alcohol who was a 0.455 BAC. At the scene where he fell (initial ambulance call) he was a .26 on PBT. Blood draw 45 min later at hospital. Then because it was so strong they had to dilute it, so 4 hours later when I got the results, he was a 0.455 and then I PBT'd him at the same time. He was a 0.36 then. So up and down the mountain he went. He was the most cooperative and easiest drunk i've ever had to deal with too....crazy
                        Discretion is the better part of valor.

I'd rather be known as a really good witness, than as a really dead hero.

Its always something. You never know what, but there is always more to the story.

Comment

The highest I ever had was a guy "several" years ago who pegged the Breathalyzer 900 at .40.

Comment

.6? .9??? I'm feeling quite inadequate with my .32 a couple of years ago (.25 last night). On the other hand I did get 3 (6 between 2357 and 0623 with my A line partner) in just over 6 hours when I worked down near New Paltz, NY.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Bac =.287%

Comment

Man, I thought I had a good one, but not after reading these...

But she was still above .3 almost two hours after the stop...
                                Last edited by madchiken; 12-01-2007, 07:20 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3910 users online. 259 members and 3651 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X