300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Weapons

What kind of sevice weapon is preferably used out on the street? Is bigger better? Or what it be more beneficial to carry a smaller weapon due to its' versatility? I'm just graduating from college and about to go to skills and would like to purchase a firearm before going. Any and all responses would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Buy what you feel comfortable shooting and carrying. Get advice from sales personnel in the gun store who are usually knowledgeable in firearms. Law enforcement across the country carry all different types and calibers. One of the more common in my neck of the woods on-duty is the Glock 22 (.40 cal). I don't think "size" really matters. If the situation dictates that I need more firepower, I will go with the 12 gauge or M4 in the front seat of my vehicle.

If you're referring to off-duty carry, I prefer to carry the same weapon/caliber. I have shot the Glock 27, which is the "baby" version of the 22 I carry on duty. Haven't purchased one yet, but will do in the very near future. Since it is the same weapon (smaller version) with same ammo, I feel more comfortable with it and it is cost effective.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

The type of handgun that you carry will most likely depend on the department. Some will let you choose, but most will not. The most important things to consider with a duty weapon is what you are proficient with. There is no point in carrying a 10mm if you can't hit anything with it or aren't comfortable with it. Another VERY important thing would be the reliablity of the gun. I would say that the most popular brands, at least around here, are Glock, Sig Sauer and Heckler & Koch. .40 calibers are the most popular.

With that being said, most firearm instructers would rather you not start shooting ahead of time. If you teach yourself, you're going to end up learning bad habits that will take time to correct later. That's just my opinion. I'm sure others will vary.

Comment

Sgt. Scott made a good point. If you are planning on buying an off-duty gun, make sure that you get one that is similar to what you will carry on-duty. If the department that you are going to work for carries a Glock 22 or 23, I would definitely look into a Glock 27. The 27 makes a great back-up-gun too because the magazines from the 22 and 23 can be used in it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6288 users online. 357 members and 5931 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X