300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Agents

Does anyone work or have worked for a federal agency and not been required to move out of state during the course of your career? How do you feel about the mandatory relocation policy?
    Smile and Wait for Flash

I have several friends that have been in one state for most if not all of their careers as feds. HOWEVER, many of them have signed a mobility agreement and could be relocated. Typically the smaller agenieces will not force moves, but it's still possible. An example would be my friends who work for variou Office of the Inspector General agencies. As long as they don't try to compete for upper management jobs it's unlikely they will be forced to relocate. The trick is in getting one of those jobs, because there are so few positions available it's very hard to get, and getting one of those jobs in a location you want to be, because again with so few positions and little turnover it could be years before a spot opens in the city you're interested in.

If you want to work for the larger agencies, FBI, ICE, USSS, DEA, etc, you may not get much say in what city you start in, and may be asked to relocate a few times during your career. With USSS and FBI expect to be relocated at least two or three times in your career.

Comment

Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR View Post
      Does anyone work or have worked for a federal agency and not been required to move out of state during the course of your career? How do you feel about the mandatory relocation policy?
      As SA said.....some of the IGs (Inspector General) that work for various agencies don't move all that much.....if at all.....but it just depends on the needs of the agency. If you want a supervisory job with them, you will probably move....and may have to put sometime in at DC.

As for the biggies (like ATFE, FBI, DSS, NCIS, DEA, etc....) you will move...just a fact of life. You maybe able to pawn it off for a while....but your going to move.......

As for moving, I think it makes you a more well-rounded agent by working in different areas of the Country (or abroad depending on your agency) and experiening stuff that you might not see if you are homesteaded in one part of the US.....
      Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-27-2007, 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling issues....

Comment

Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR View Post
        How do you feel about the mandatory relocation policy?
        Never liked it, but lived with it, and yes I did move for the good of the Service. I'm not so sure that the moves were for the good of Mrs. GoldBadge and our kids though.

I've finally reached my last POD (unless I really screw up and get a disciplinary transfer - not even remotely likely), so I can relax and watch the yungins' coming and going.

As noted above, don't want to move, apply for a small OIG, or if you work for one of the large alphabet soup agencies, ask to work at a high cost POD (like NYC) where no one wants to work. You can probably spend your whole career there unless you want to promote up.
        Last edited by GoldBadge; 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Basically its what others have said. They will try to keep you where you want, but the needs of the service come first. Also, promotional opportunities may require your relocation. Also other factors is your job description, how many field offices there are, work load in certain regions ect.

Comment

First and foremost you are a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, which means you have to represent the country, and sometimes the only way to do that is to have to go all over the country.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6259 users online. 368 members and 5891 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X