Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lights and sirens in personal vehicles....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights and sirens in personal vehicles....

hello everyone. i am a volunteer firefighter. i am here asking this question to you so i may have input on this issue from law enforcement officers.

the area i am in allows volunteer firefighter to have lights in their vehicles o respond to calls. however we are not allowed to use sirens. i agree with this. i use a red/white strobe in my front window. however i fell that sirens should not be allowed. however a question was raised by some of the volunteers...

1) once we are dispatched to a call, can our personal vehicles be considered as an emergency vehicle because we are en-route to a call?
    2) if so, it was said that we should be allowed to have a siren because we are responding to a incident.

by law is this true? we are in the mississippi area by the way.

thanks for your input. stay safe

1) once we are dispatched to a call, can our personal vehicles be considered as an emergency vehicle because we are en-route to a call?
    2) if so, it was said that we should be allowed to have a siren because we are responding to a incident.

by law is this true? we are in the mississippi area by the way.
    Depends on MS law. In TN, our FF's do have sirens in their personal vehicles. Being as we keep few FF's at the station, most respond to the fire from home and get into gear on scene. If MS law states that first responders cannot have sirens, then it is true that you cannot have sirens. If it is not written in law, it depends on your department policy. It also depends if your vehicle vehicle had been registered as an emergency vehicle through the state.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the son's of God."

Comment

In New York VF's are allowed to have blue lights of a certin size. However, that does not give them the legal right to violate or ignore Vehicle and traffic laws. However, we PO's tend to look the other way as long as they don't go nuts. The exception is chiefs and some assistant chiefs. They get red lights for thier vehicles, which are then considered to be emergency vehicles (or at least thats my understanding).

Comment

In Michigan vol.'s are allowed to have lights and sirens. The only thing is half of them DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. They think because of the lights and sirens they are above the law and they drive like a bat out of hell. WRONG! I think they should all have to attend and pass a driving course, with the vehicle they will be putting the lights and siren on, before they are allowed to actually put them on.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
          I think they should all have to attend and pass a driving course, with the vehicle they will be putting the lights and siren on, before they are allowed to actually put them on.
          I think they do have to be a volunteer for at least one year, and pass an emergency vehicle course.

Not sure, though. I haven't seen any of them get too crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by AMT8951 View Post
            In New York VF's are allowed to have blue lights of a certin size. However, that does not give them the legal right to violate or ignore Vehicle and traffic laws. However, we PO's tend to look the other way as long as they don't go nuts. The exception is chiefs and some assistant chiefs. They get red lights for thier vehicles, which are then considered to be emergency vehicles (or at least thats my understanding).

Basically same here in Jersey, even though I never wrote a VF I have chewed them out afterwords and threatened them with tickets next time I catch them going that fast.

Comment

In Va, vols are allowed 2 lights, no siren. They have no authority to disregard any traffic laws.

If you really want to know if your POV is an emergency vehicle, ask your insurance agent...I'm sure he will clear that up real quick.
              Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Best policy.....drive like a jackass...L&S revoked for 1 year.
                Do it again, gone.....forever
                AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
                Before you get your knickers in a twist, ask yourself, was my post facetious?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3303 users online. 148 members and 3155 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X