300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment defense

So my GF is looking for a gun for her apartment. She lives in a small apartment with neighbors on 3 of 4 sides of hers and in a situation where she would have to use it, she would very likely be shooting towards her neighbors apartments. Is there any calibers/guns that an officer would recommend? Is she SOL because of her situation? I’ve started a thread on reddit as well, trying to get as many recommendations as possible!

Originally posted by TheTexasKid95 View Post
    So my GF is looking for a gun for her apartment. She lives in a small apartment with neighbors on 3 of 4 sides of hers and in a situation where she would have to use it, she would very likely be shooting towards her neighbors apartments. Is there any calibers/guns that an officer would recommend? Is she SOL because of her situation? I’ve started a thread on reddit as well, trying to get as many recommendations as possible!
    Here’s a good article on this subject...

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/27_...l#.XGEdeBqIahA

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...uns-and-walls/

The less penetration typically means less stopping power. Smaller calibers (.22/.38/.380) are typically the least recommended for self defense but will penetrate less than mos larger calibers (depending on ammunition). They will fulfill the first rule of a gun fight though Which Is to have a gun. A good option may be a 20 ga shotgun if your girlfriend knows (or is willing to dedicate some time to learn) how to operate a shotgun.
    Last edited by Exbpa340; 02-11-2019, 02:20 AM.
    “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info! Her first time shooting a gun was skeet shooting and she was knocking them out of the sky with the semi auto 20 gauge so I was thinking that I might go with that! Do you think a semi auto 20 gauge would be reliable enough for home protection?

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like would it be more or less reliable than a pump action?

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      Personal opinion is always go pump action over semiauto in a home defense shotgun. The only more reliable weapon than a pump action shotgun is a revolver...as long as you don't short-stroke the pump, pump-action shotguns will pretty much always go "bang." Semiauto shotguns, while greatly improved from even a few years ago, can be very ammunition-picky and you have to practice how to clear jams with any semiauto weapon (consider it another thing that she would have to become proficient with in a high-stress scenario...the simpler, the better).

A nice Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will serve well as a home defense shotgun, and they're not overly expensive.

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say that you should...
      1 - go with a pump
      2 - do extensive training with said shot gun. Much harder to remember what to do when the sh*t hits the fan.
      3 - Make sure to have a long arm safe.
      4 - learn what “hot stand by/cruiser ready” and “combat/chamber loading” are. You are probably not going to want to try and load a shotgun while someone is breaking into the house/apartment.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c...fense-shotgun/

Have her train to get low and shoot at an upward angle (unless it's a multi-story apartment) or, even better, pick an easily-defensible location where the bad guy's entry path will minimize her shooting toward the other apartments.

In home defense shooting, there's nothing wrong with choosing a "barricaded" position and waiting for the bad guy to come to you...I would never recommend that someone hunt a bad guy in their residence unless there's a very good reason to do so (defense of children in danger, for example), as clearing rooms is not an easy prospect even for those of us who are trained to do so. Pick a back room with a solid, lockable door to put your home defense weapon and make sure it has easy access to a cell phone or hard line telephone (remember that hard line telephones will call 911 even if there's no phone service, as long as the phone lines are connected) and a good flashlight. My recommendation for firearms for inexperienced shooters is usually a nice 20ga shotgun with low recoil 00 buckshot...it WILL penetrate (thus picking a direction to shoot that's not toward the other apartments) but it will also do pretty devastating damage at home-defense ranges with manageable recoil.

Any round that has the penetration to do damage to a bad guy will penetrate normal building materials. The up-side is, in your girlfriend's (or any home defense scenario), you have the home-field advantage, so you can consider location options to minimize the overpenetration dangers.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the idea of the landline, I hadn’t thought of that! The only two other areas in her apt is her bath room and closet. Do you think that replacing the door while she is there and putting one of those reinforced door frames would make the bathroom a viable option? Our area has had a uptick in serious B and E’s, rapes, and someone attempted to kidnap one girl from her apartment last week so at this point I’m willing to shell out some money to give her peace of mind and a safe place to hide.

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, her apartment layout is bad. Her apartment has people across the hall, and on both sides. There is only one wall without anyone on the other side and the bathroom door faces it, that’s why I was thinking about the reinforced bathroom door and frame (in addition to the reinforced front door frame for kicking)

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      If the apartment owner will permit you to, the first door you should reinforce is the front door. If it's not already, a steel frame with a solid deadbolt will stop most people from getting in with anything short of a ram.

You can use any room as a "panic room" depending on the layout of the home. Are these burglaries and the attempted kidnapping happening at specific times of the day? Statistically most burglaries, for example, happen during the day while people are at work and are not in occupied residences (burglars generally are looking for valuables, not confrontations with residents). If they're nightttime burglaries when people are home, then I'd recommend reinforcing the bedroom if possible, as that would be where the occupant would likely be (you don't want to have to have her move to a "secure area" if she doesn't have to, as opposed to just being able to barricade in place, arm herself, and call 911).

As for the question of the backstop and rounds going into adjoining apartments, the key is really to put as much "stuff" between her and the other apartments to minimize the chances of rounds hitting uninvolved people. A couple sheets of drywall will be easily penetrated by anything that might be useful in home defense...but multiple walls of drywall, studs, and wooden furniture are much less likely to cause problems (even better if there's a wall that's cinder block). If you can't avoid shooting toward another apartment, then just think about making the probable shooting angle with as much "stuff" between her and the other apartment as possible.

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
    Have her train to get low and shoot at an upward angle (unless it's a multi-story apartment) or, even better, pick an easily-defensible location where the bad guy's entry path will minimize her shooting toward the other apartments.

In home defense shooting, there's nothing wrong with choosing a "barricaded" position and waiting for the bad guy to come to you...I would never recommend that someone hunt a bad guy in their residence unless there's a very good reason to do so (defense of children in danger, for example), as clearing rooms is not an easy prospect even for those of us who are trained to do so. Pick a back room with a solid, lockable door to put your home defense weapon and make sure it has easy access to a cell phone or hard line telephone (remember that hard line telephones will call 911 even if there's no phone service, as long as the phone lines are connected) and a good flashlight. My recommendation for firearms for inexperienced shooters is usually a nice 20ga shotgun with low recoil 00 buckshot...it WILL penetrate (thus picking a direction to shoot that's not toward the other apartments) but it will also do pretty devastating damage at home-defense ranges with manageable recoil.

Any round that has the penetration to do damage to a bad guy will penetrate normal building materials. The up-side is, in your girlfriend's (or any home defense scenario), you have the home-field advantage, so you can consider location options to minimize the overpenetration dangers.
    Pretty much this.

One of the best home defenses, if her apartment allows, is a dog. Being alerted to a problem via barking is invaluable.

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      We have played with the idea of a dog, she really wants one but with work and school we are usually away from the apartment from around 8 am to about 8 pm daily and that’s just the at school schedule and posted work schedule (many times work runs late and we have many projects each semester that require us to not be home)

I bought a Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge loaded with 00 thT the wife has access to. The youth model has a shorter stock.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I currently have an 870 express. FYI Remington has an LEO/Military purchase program to purchase directly through the factory. It takes a couple of months. I ordered a police magnum model that is due to be delivered in March at a couple of hundred below MSRP.
      “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

I'm also a fan of a pump shotgun for home defense. One benefit I haven't seen mentioned is the deterrent effect of someone racking the slide on a shotgun. I don't care who you are or where you come from, when you hear that sound from the direction of your opponent, you want to GTFO.

I agree that a 20-ga is perfectly adequate, and reduces the chances of over-penetration through walls. I would get one with the shortest barrel legally available -- it'll provide a greater spread of shot and is much more manageable in a close-quarters environment.

And then practice.

Comment

I recommend the .410 shotgun shell if you live within paper walls. Still, pellets and/or slugs can and will go through walls. There are revolvers out there where you can load .410 shotgun shells and/or .45 ACP. Mossberg makes good .410 shotguns which are great for home defense.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10637 users online. 329 members and 10308 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X