Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I be able to become a cop with diagnosed anxiety disorder?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be able to become a cop with diagnosed anxiety disorder?

I was wondering, if I was pursuing being a cop and during the background check they somehow figured out that I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder what would happen. Would it be an automatic disqualification or would I be able to explain the circumstances? Here they are. When I was in middle school I was fairly large and was bullied throughout the school day, at lunch, and on the bus ride, giving me a lot of anxiety in school causing me to go to the guidance and nurse’s office as often as I could to get away from the taunting. My parents brought me to the doctors and he diagnosed me with anxiety disorder because of the stress I was facing at school on a daily basis. I was put on anxiety medication in 6th grade and have not had a panic attack since 9th grade. I am in 12th grade now and still on the medication but with it (it’s a low dosage, 10mg) I am able to function completely fine in social and nerve wracking situations. It has been my dream to be a police officer ever since I was young and I just really hope that this won’t stop me as I am able to function just as calmly if not more calmly than most of my peers in stressful situations. If I explain this to the BI or Medical examiner will they understand?

As part of the hiring process, your are required to take and pass a psychological screening exam to determine if you are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect your ability to exercise of the powers of a peace officer and to otherwise ensure that you are capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

While what has happened in your past will be a factor in determining your suitability, the primary deciding factor will be your mental and emotional condition at the time will apply. If you are in the 12th grade right now, it will be several years before you are old enough to be eligible to apply. What your pshcyological state will be at that time is anyone's guess.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Griffin4Lif3
      Griffin4Lif3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, that makes a lot of sense, I appreciate the input. Thank you.

Taking anti-anxiety meds will be something they ask you about. As L-1 said above, during the application process you'll be required to divulge all that. Hiding it and being found out will definitely DQ you so be up front.

Most importantly; are you doing what's good for you to be mentally healthy? Objectively, do you feel you can handle a high stress work environment? If yes, then apply. We can always use good people in the field.

Plenty of time to decide if this is really what you want. If this is your dream, chase it, and remember you'll hear a lot of 'no' before you hear 'yes'.

Comment

• Griffin4Lif3
      Griffin4Lif3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. Yes I plan on pursuing it, it’s just nerve wracking knowing that I won’t know if I’ll be eligible up until I’m at the point of applying because a lot of people say “it depends” when talking about medical disqualifications. I’m just worried to get my hopes up and then be let down.

• NW121
      NW121 commented
      Editing a comment
      Being let down is part of life. Cliche statements aside, your own mindset will be your own worse enemy. Go in confident, try your hardest, and keep plugging at it. You're going to be told no. A lot. I was rejected by numerous agencies before I was hired. Most here were. My entire career in emergency services, going on 13 years now, I know of one person who got hired by the first agency he applied to. Keep pushing. If it's your dream, you chase it until you get it.

• Griffin4Lif3
      Griffin4Lif3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I truly appreciate that.

There's an old saying. Be careful what you ask for. You may not like what you get.

If you are really that curious, go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...ing_Manual.pdf and read the entire publication.

It is California's manual on psychological screening. While it is California's standard, the principles behind it do not stop at the state line and you will find most states follow the same practices. You will see that the issue of psychological screen is not as simple as you think and will not depend on your single issue of anxiety disorder while in high school.

A word of warning before you read it. The manual if complex and and confusing. It talks about issues and conditions in vague terms you may self diagnose yourself as having when you actually do not have them. When you are through reading it, you may talk yourself into thinking you are Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Read with caution.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you work in LE, you're going to receive a lot of bullying and anxiety from everyone on and off the bus. Can you handle that stress without taking medication?

Comment

Originally posted by clof2001 View Post
        If you work in LE, you're going to receive a lot of bullying and anxiety from everyone on and off the bus. Can you handle that stress without taking medication?
        I am able to take the heat. I am on anxiety medication but it is because I have pretty bad test anxiety which stems from my parents who put an extreme amount of pressure on me for school. Outside of school my anxiety is non existent and just as average as anyone else’s. Thank you for the input though sir!

Comment

Many depts would see it as a liability, which is why I couldn't get hired (50% VA rated PTSD), now I work for the Feds
          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin4Lif3 View Post

I am able to take the heat. I am on anxiety medication but it is because I have pretty bad test anxiety which stems from my parents who put an extreme amount of pressure on me for school. Outside of school my anxiety is non existent and just as average as anyone else’s. Thank you for the input though sir!
            How will you make it through the academy?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

How will you make it through the academy?
              I’m a very good student, I just experience anxiety in school. I will be fine as long as they don’t mind me being a little anxious during tests.

Comment

While Taking your medications? Won’t work that way.
                You are a bit naive if you think you will be able to handle the streets and training without your meds.

Comment

I’m a very good student, I just experience anxiety in school. I will be fine as long as they don’t mind me being a little anxious during tests.
                  I think you're being a bit naive. The entire academy is a test. The academy classroom is school. How anxious are you going to be during your firearms tests? Driving tests? Arrest and control tests?

Comment

While Taking your medications? Won’t work that way.
                    You are a bit naive if you think you will be able to handle the streets and training without your meds.
                    I appreciate that but I’m pretty confident that I will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by clof2001 View Post

I think you're being a bit naive. The entire academy is a test. The academy classroom is school. How anxious are you going to be during your firearms tests? Driving tests? Arrest and control tests?
                      I am sure I will be fine on those tests, it’s just really the stress of Highschool put on me and my parents won’t be hounding me throughout the academy. I’m confident in my ability to succeed. I appreciate the response though.

Comment

I appreciate that but I’m pretty confident that I will be okay.
                        Are you still on meds? If so, no. You “won’t be ok”. You have ZERO idea of the stress of training and the job. HS is nothing, and it’s not that hard in the first place.

Comment

Are you still on meds? If so, no. You “won’t be ok”. You have ZERO idea of the stress of training and the job. HS is nothing, and it’s not that hard in the first place.
                          I am but it’s beinf decreased so I should be off of them by late freshman year of college.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10865 users online. 469 members and 10396 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X