300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weather and Traffic

It has been raining off and on here in Iowa City for about 4 days now. While I was driving home from class in the hard rain today, I noticed a trooper had a vehicle pulled over on the interstate. And it got me thinking...Does the weather affect your decision as an LEO to take action and pull a traffic violator over?

I'm assuming this trooper had to have seen this vehicle doing something pretty darn stupid to pull him over in a torrential downpour.

Also, this isn't one of those posts that are meant to knock LEOs, I am just wanting to know the thought process that goes into enforcing traffic in poor weather conditions. Thanks!

B
    Be respectful and courteous to everyone you contact while on the street, but always have a plan to kill them if things go bad.

I'll stop people in inclement weather if it's something hazardous. People need to drive slower in bad weather anyway and they tend to do so when they see my lights on the side of the road.

Comment

Never, ever effected my enforcement activities. I actually stepped it up because someone driving like a fool in snow, sleet, hail, etc......is bound to hurt them and others perhaps more so than on drive pavement.

That's why God invented Galls....who sells all sorts of coats, hats, jackets, raingear, etc.....to keep us warm and semi-dry.......

Comment

Still do the deed, just take longer so I can dry off or get alittle warm before going back out into the sheet.

Comment

Inclement weather DEFINATELY affects my decision. A good trooper (me) never gets wet. It almost has to be a criminal situation for me to get out of my car in inclement weather to enforce traffic.

This is just one man's opinion.
          Last edited by LeanG; 04-26-2007, 07:34 AM.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
            Inclement westher DEFINATELY affects my decision. A good trooper (me) never gets wet. It almost has to be a criminal situation for me to get out of my car in inclement weather to enforce traffic.

This is just one man's opinion.
            Panzy.

Comment

No being a new guy I like working traffic good or bad weather.... rain makes you appreciate gortex

Comment

Not really. Some little things may not get you stopped but some people think just because it's bad weather it's a free ride. I've got rain gear on but when your window's down and I'm asking questions about why they are disregarding speedlaw etc. and I'm taking my time so they understand , I hope they're wearing theirs.
                "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath View Post
                  Panzy.

Yeah, I know........

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Police Officers melt in the rain.

Usually in a torrential downpour people don't speed as much (although some people do have a deathwish)... then you have to decide whether you want to speed to catch them and risk hydroplaning and explaining to your Lt. why your car is in the ditch.

Depends on the situation and how hard its raining.... and if my raincoat is in the front seat or if I've left it in the trunk...

Comment

I don't like to work traffic in the rain, but if somebody does something stupid in front of me, I don't have much choice. If I have to stop someone and I get soaked, I don't care any more. I start stopping everything I see then.

Comment

After reviewing most of these post, I don't think everyone is being honest here. Just pull a few of these officer's activity logs on the dates and times of bad weather and lets see how they stack up. Like most everyone, it'll take an act of congress to pry 'em out of the seat to take traffic enforcement in the rain. I guess that's why you see so many of us with a car pulled over in the rain....Not!
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                          After reviewing most of these post, I don't think everyone is being honest here. Just pull a few of these officer's activity logs on the dates and times of bad weather and lets see how they stack up. Like most everyone, it'll take an act of congress to pry 'em out of the seat to take traffic enforcement in the rain. I guess that's why you see so many of us with a car pulled over in the rain....Not!
                          Like I said, after I get passed the first one and get soaked, I don't care any more. The thing is, the first one has to do something really bad to get me started. Most of the time when it's raining bad, I just find a safe place and sit.

Comment

Weather doesn't really affect my decision to stop unless its a very very minor infraction. And, if I have to pull you over in the rain and get wet, you can bet your rear that you will certainly get a citation.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                              Weather doesn't really affect my decision to stop unless its a very very minor infraction. And, if I have to pull you over in the rain and get wet, you can bet your rear that you will certainly get a citation.
                              Ditto. Lastnight it rained and the guy I had stopped was drunk out his mind. Probably one of the highest bac's I have ever had and I do a whole lot of dui's. He was so drunk he couldn't open the door of his car to get out. I have noticed that just because it rains doesn't mean activity for the evening will be slow. I was in the rain all shift lastnight.
                              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4108 users online. 241 members and 3867 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X