300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy Sheriff career and college

Hello, I am currently in the Los Angeles county deputy sheriff trainee hiring process and have just passed my polygraph which means Im not very far from the academy at this point. For those of you that are already hired, will their be time for me to attend college once I graduate the academy while working full time?

Wait until you are out of training and off probation, then start taking some classes...it's a tad slower, but very doable.

Comment

Wait until you are working EM shift in the jails, that’s when most deps earn their degrees

Comment

I've known several cops who earned their degrees while working full-time. The explosion of online universities has made this a lot easier.

That being said, it's still not easy. It requires dedication and discipline. It's always going to be easier to get the degree first, then start a LE career, if possible. Life very quickly gets in the way of study.

Some folks that do it choose shifts that are a bit slower, to allow for some time to work on class-work (assuming that's permitted within the agency).

One caution -- the increase in online universities has also resulted in a rise in sham schools. Before committing to a course of study with a school, ensure it's properly accredited and the degree will be accepted down the line. Lots of military and police graduates got jammed up when it was discovered their degrees (which they needed for promotion or education-incentive pay) were from non-accredited 'diploma mills'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13207 users online. 459 members and 12748 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X