X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on some peculiar abusive situation

Hello,

I have a female friend who lives in Missouri and started working at a company a few months back. She's a former victim of domestic abuse and rape. She was approached by someone higher up at the company who offered her money in exchange for enabling some of his kinks, as she was complaining about her job.She said yes. Since then, he pays her bills and gives her a very small amount of cash, but she essentially gets tortured for it. It's usually physical pain but there's some psychological pain as well, and her depression is worsening with every passing week. She has tried to kill herself three times since she's started this job. Is there any legal recourse here? I have to add that she is constantly wavering but hasn't found the willpower to run away yet, though she knows how bad it is for her.

Thank you very much.

You're not going to like my answer.

Based solely on your description of things and assuming sex is involved, both parties are mutually and willingly engaged in a continuous and ongoing act of prostitution.

I understand that he is taking advantage of her vulnerabilities, but that is often the case with many prostitutes. Until such time as it can be proven (and not assumed or implied) that he is compelling her to engage in these acts against her will, from a law enforcement point of view there is nothing we can do other than to arrest both for prostitution, assuming a provable case can be established. Under the circumstances, I doubt neither will voluntarily confess or provide proof of payments being made.

However, because this is job related, there may be other avenues to pursue in the area of sexual harassment. I'm not sure how such a claim might be affected because money is changing hands. Nonetheless, this is an area outside the expertise of a bunch of cops.

I would suggest you visit this legal forum and repost your question there:

https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

There are a bunch of attorneys there that specialize in issues such as this that can give you better advice than we can. A word of caution though. They don't like dealing with second hand information where things get lost in translation and may strongly suggest your friend come to the forum and post her problem instead of you doing it for her.

Best of luck.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I pretty much expected that answer. Thank you.

Comment

Actually, there is something else I'd like to ask you. What if sex is out of the picture? As far as I'm aware, it is. I'd imagine that then your hands are even more tied, aren't they? As in, you can't even arrest them both then.

Also, I am posting this for her because I'm trying to look for a way to get her help, as unlikely as I think it might be. I doubt the lawyers can do anything for me but I'll ask.
        Last edited by Matt8; 02-02-2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

If sex is out of the picture then all you have is a case of two mutually consenting adults engaged in whatever makes them happy. He does it because he enjoys it and she does it because she likes the money. Although, if the conduct is weird enough and so far outside of her normal job duties, there might be some harassment issues. Again, post the situation at the other website and be explicit as to what is taking place.

Now, not to sound snarky, but we had an odd case here in my state about 20 years ago that comes to mind. In that matter, a homeowner was having sex with his housekeeper on a regular basis. She got pregnant and filed a workers compensation first report of injury, alleging that because he was paying her to have sex, getting pregnant was a job related injury. The employer fought the claim but the housekeeper won. I believe workers comp may have actually would up paying some form of child support.

I bring this up only because you state your friend is suffering both physical and psychological injuries because of what is going on. Were she to retain a workers comp attorney and file a worker's comp claim against her employer (company), it may bring an immediate halt to what's going on. Once they find out what he's doing, the company may terminate her boss or transfer him to their Anchorage, Alaska branch office.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I wish it was simple as her enjoying the money, sadly the psychological picture is a little blurrier and harder to navigate.

As for the rest, thank you for your advice.

Comment

I agree with the above info. HR and/or OSHA may also offer avenues of recourse?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt8 View Post
                Hello,

I have a female friend who lives in Missouri and started working at a company a few months back. She's a former victim of domestic abuse and rape. She was approached by someone higher up at the company who offered her money in exchange for enabling some of his kinks, as she was complaining about her job.She said yes. Since then, he pays her bills and gives her a very small amount of cash, but she essentially gets tortured for it. It's usually physical pain but there's some psychological pain as well, and her depression is worsening with every passing week. She has tried to kill herself three times since she's started this job. Is there any legal recourse here? I have to add that she is constantly wavering but hasn't found the willpower to run away yet, though she knows how bad it is for her.

Thank you very much.
                IF she is so depressed that she's attempted suicide three times and continues to be suicidal I'd say her/your immediate concern should be to get her mental health treatment ASAP.

Get her to a hospital. Not only will they address her psych issues...but there usually are social workers/case workers who can provide resources for all the underlying issues. They may be able to point her in the right direction as far as any legal recourse she may have.

Another option is to get her in touch with a domestic violence/sexual assault organization. They understand these dynamics and typically are able to refer victims to trusted attorneys to navigate the legal aspects of an abusive situation.

Again, your friend needs psych help first and foremost. Anything else is secondary. Good luck.

Comment

^^^^^^^^This.

L-1 gives very cogent advice, but it sounds like a trip to the psychiatrist is in order (does your State have civil confinement for mental health? California has a 72 hour involuntary mental health hold. She would probably qualify for one of those!).

Concurrently, contact a domestic violence organization. They can help.
                  semper destravit

Comment

I asked for help on expertlaw.com and they told me there are legal recourses, for her. "It's textbook sexual harassment in the extreme.". I'm powerless to do anything, though, as expected.

Originally posted by NW121 View Post
                    I agree with the above info. HR and/or OSHA may also offer avenues of recourse?
                    She quit her original job in that company so I'm not sure HR can do anything? Do you have anything specific in mind?

I wanted to put some further quotes but the forum isn't letting me : She lives in Missouri, I could check the involuntary mental health hold in that state but if I do that, it means I blow up her trust in me which is currently her only anchor so I am reluctant to do so.

As for the domestic violence organization, my problem lies with the Stockholm syndrome that's in place, she hasn't reached a point where she resents the abuser, she keeps seeing him as a friendly figure. With that said, I will still contact one and see what they have to tell me. Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt8 View Post
                      I asked for help on expertlaw.com and they told me there are legal recourses, for her. "It's textbook sexual harassment in the extreme.".
                      Now I'm NOT a legal expert by any means, but I highly doubt the situation you described here is "textbook sexual harassment". That would be the case if a superior asked an employee for sexual favors in return for a promotion or raise or to avoid termination or in exchange for some other job-related benefit. Her situation seems completely unrelated to her employment. Sounds more like a kinky sugar daddy arrangement you'd find on Craigslist or Backpage.

I doubt she'd have much luck with an employment-related lawsuit. What exactly are her damages? I also doubt she'd want to go through having to testify in open court about all the stuff she voluntarily did in exchange for money. Juries don't usually have a lot of sympathy for prostitutes. It definitely won't be a quick and easy money grab if that's what she's hoping for.

If she wants to end this relationship, it's up to her. If she needs help breaking it off, she can seek advice from a domestic violence organization. If he physically prevents her from leaving the relationship or starts harassing her, she can call the police. In any event she needs psych services more than anything else. You also might want to consider the possibility that this woman is playing you....

Comment

• Matt8
                        Matt8 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "It's textbook sexual harassment in the extreme."
                        is what the lawyer over on expertlaw.com told me, until they bothered to read my post thoroughly and realized she'd quit her original job.

I'd doubt she'd want to take any legal recourse against the abuser, quite frankly. She can't help but view them as a friendly figure. Indeed, she wouldn't be up for testifying any way, I'd imagine. She's not hoping for anything, she is unaware that I am looking for help on her behalf. She didn't even suggest it, I am doing it because I care and I wanted to know what my options were.

Yes, it is all up to her, sadly. I checked and the psychiatric hold in Missouri is up to 96h, and I could try to make use of that but I doubt she'd see reason within a few days and that would pretty much ruin her trust in me. I am considering it. Well, I shall see. Thank you for your answers.

I have an additional question : I have the address of one of her relatives who could help when it comes to filing an affidavit for involuntary commitment. I don't have their name or phone though. Any idea how I could find out their phone number? Worst case scenario I can always actually mail them.
                        Last edited by Matt8; 02-02-2019, 06:31 PM.

• Iowa #1603
                        Iowa #1603 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well lawyers tend to like to recommend that almost everyone sue ................

Just because an anonymous 'attorney" says it is "textbook" doesn't mean crap.................they also want to sue cops for unlawful arrest and 1983 violations too.........

Keep in mind that seeking a Civil Detention Order is a legal process. Whomever wishes to file affidavits to support the application must have direct knowledge of what actions or behaviors "present a likelihood of serious harm to (her)self or to others." In these cases a person is being deprived of their liberty, so a judge is not going to sign off on an order just because an application is filed. Most judges I know and have worked with require at least two affidavits from people who have personally witnessed dangerous behavior recently (think in the last day or so) or an ongoing series of actions that constitute a high risk of harm. Previous suicide attempts are not going to be enough to meet the standard, unless they were extremely recent and you can explain why you believe another is imminent.

Comment

• Matt8
                        Matt8 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for your response. Alright, so there's no way someone could file an affidavit unless they have direct knowledge. And I'd need at least two. That's going to prove very difficult. Well, I shall do with what I have. Thanks again.

I've asked my questions and obtained some helpful answers. I'd like the thread to be closed before further attempts to derail it are made. Whom should I message to get that done?

Comment

asked and answered. Thread closed.
                        sigpic
                        The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                        PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10576 users online. 324 members and 10252 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X