Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

To all,

I would like to ask some advice of those that are active in the law enforcement community on some upcoming career choices that I have to make in the near future. First, some background on myself. I am 32, 10 years ex-military with a BS from my local college. I have a medical issue that has me taking a perscription daily but is totaly under control with no side effects but prevents me from rejoining the military. I would like to take advantage of the current hiring going on with LVMPD but am not ready physically or financially ready to apply with any hope of approval. However, the local sheriffs department is hiring corrections officers and after talking with thier recruiter, they say I have an above average chance of being hired. My question is, should I take the corrections job and see about transferring later or should I hold off and wait untill im ready for LVMPD? I pretty much have my heart set on working for metro as I love the town and have lots of family there. I hate what I am doing for a living now and would like to get into law enforcement anyway that I can so I can have a career and not just a job.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Originally posted by dgr874
    To all,

I would like to ask some advice of those that are active in the law enforcement community on some upcoming career choices that I have to make in the near future. First, some background on myself. I am 32, 10 years ex-military with a BS from my local college. I have a medical issue that has me taking a perscription daily but is totaly under control with no side effects but prevents me from rejoining the military. I would like to take advantage of the current hiring going on with LVMPD but am not ready physically or financially ready to apply with any hope of approval. However, the local sheriffs department is hiring corrections officers and after talking with thier recruiter, they say I have an above average chance of being hired. My question is, should I take the corrections job and see about transferring later or should I hold off and wait untill im ready for LVMPD? I pretty much have my heart set on working for metro as I love the town and have lots of family there. I hate what I am doing for a living now and would like to get into law enforcement anyway that I can so I can have a career and not just a job.

Thank you in advance for any responses!
    I'd take the corrections tbh. A foot in the door is better than nothing at all.

Comment

Corrections would give you an edge, but your degree is the big golden nugget that you're sitting on. Go for it. But be sure that's what you want to do. Corrections is not for everyone. It's not just sitting around, baby sitting prisoners.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

A job with benefits is a job with benefits. Foot in the door which may lead to bigger and better things. You may even like it and stay
        live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

I agree. I have 10 years in the military, found my course I wanted to take and prepared months before hand to join a dept. In your case, get into the career field anyway you can. Like already stated, Corrections isn't for everyone, but, it will force you to get/stay in shape. The motto I have always stood by since becoming a LEO is "Prisoners don't miss a day of working out, do you? Get into the mindset and go for it. LE isnt a career field you can half ***. Your life depends on 100% comittment

Comment

I vote go for the Corrections , to get your foot in door , show your ability and then put in for the road . It will look good on your resume .

Comment

Advice

Have you ever thought of a support role? There are many federal and state jobs that do not directly interact with suspects on the street. Today there is a high demand for security and LE analyst that work in threat vulnerbility. There are crime scene analyst that pour over evidence. There are cyber crime units that work the Internet. Do not limit your opportunity by focusing on one aspect of LE. I prefer intel units although that is primarily limited to the fed. Look at ICE, FBI, or your local state law enforcement agency. You will find the money is better as well as advancement. Remember you have a foot in the door for federal jobs with military and college. These recommendations of course are ***uming your meds are not sched 1-3 and your background looks good. Credit is a big issue these days. Physical fitness may be overlooked unless you are grossly out of standards by most support roles. Good luck.
              I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.

Comment

Wow!!! 32 y/o, BA/S, 10 years military service.... Even though your medical condition requires you to take meds, that in itself may not disqualify you from being an LEO; however, if it keeps you from military service, it doesn't look good. The only way to know is to apply and take the physical. I agree with the other responses.... If you qualify, at least get your foot in the door. The corrections job is a good start. Best of luck to you!
                Last edited by Blueribbon; 04-25-2007, 12:32 PM.
                "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

dgr874,

I asume you are referring to the Weber County Sheriff's Office? If so, I know a lot of people that work for them as either deputies or corrections officers, and everyone of them absolutely loves it. The Sheriff is one of the best guys I know and runs that department very very well. I can't think of a much better place to start. I would ask the recruiter or anyone else if you can spend a day or night in booking, you'll see what I mean.
                  Last edited by Macpherson; 04-25-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Your background is a big +. Is it the medical condition or the medication that prevents you from army service? About the corrections thing I don't know what it's like out there but around here most of the CO's don't have a very good shot of getting on the road.

It's not that being a CO that hinders them it's the person. We seem to have some "special" ones in the jail right now. I know of some of them that wear police shirts around and carry handcuffs everywhere like it's a tumor growing out of their side. Depending on how respected that particular group of CO's is could help could hinder you. Best advice i can give you is if you go CO just go to work and realize it's work and you're not an FBI agent.

There is one guy i know of who is not a tool like the rest and he'd be a great cop. I for on could never be a co because of the BS they have to deal with all shift. I give them major props for what they do.

Best of luck!!!

Comment

Get your foot in the door. Get to be familiar with the department and it's people. Once you have established yourself see where you are if it's time to go to the road, then go. Corrections has come a long way and having worked corrections it's not for everybody. It's just not letting people in and out of jail and "babysitting" it's a profession in and of itself, with many risks that are associated with it. Whichever way you go, good luck!
                      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! All the positive words have really made my decision much easier. Macpherson, its actually the Salt Lake County Sheriff that has openings I saw on thier website. Roughrider28, I had a couple of seizures about a year ago and my doctor put me on medication to ensure they dont come back. I have been seizure free for about a year now but I have to take some pills everyday and that prevents me from returning to military service. I am fine otherwise and dont have any side effects.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5250 users online. 298 members and 4952 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X