Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May I have some opinions on my juvenile past?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • May I have some opinions on my juvenile past?

    Hello, I'll get straight to the point in regards to my question , When I was 15 I was convicted of two felonies for home burglary, I'm 25 now, so 10 years have passed with no further problems with the law other then traffic tickets, less then 5 over the years, I've tried joining the military but they said I was disqualified for my juvenile past. Would I generally meet the same fate if I wanted to join law enforcement? If not what would be the results needed to show the police employer for them to consider me and my past? Any tips and helpful options would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Felony convictions even as a juvenile will probably bar you from any law enforcement agency..
    Retired LASD

    Comment


    • #3
      No chance in CA.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #4
        What state are you in?
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the speedy replies, I live in California

          Comment


          • #6
            I feel pretty trapped In regards to my options for a career, my juvenile past mentally hinders me as well as socially when it comes to certain careers, any opinions on ANY pursuit in any direction for a noble career? I can't join the military, the police seems pretty bleek especially with these replies.. fireman? I mean seriously I wish I wasn't so dumb as a kid.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm going to differ with the others somewhat.

              Any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Cal. Govt Code §1029(a)].

              With few exceptions, this prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside. It may also apply to any convictions that were subsequently reduced to a misdemeanor occurring on or after January 1, 2004.

              Now, proceedings under juvenile court in California are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under GC §1029 unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer. However, the conduct surrounding the offense should certainly be considered as part of the overall background.

              So, what this means is, the departments you apply with will look at the totality of your personal history. They will look at what you did when you were 15, but also consider what you've done and not done since then. Some will reject you, but a few might hire you, depending oin the severity of your conduct way back when.

              There's no penalty for applying and being turned down. Give it a try and see what happens.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Proteinbar View Post
                I feel pretty trapped In regards to my options for a career, my juvenile past mentally hinders me as well as socially when it comes to certain careers, any opinions on ANY pursuit in any direction for a noble career? I can't join the military, the police seems pretty bleek especially with these replies.. fireman? I mean seriously I wish I wasn't so dumb as a kid.
                Firefighting is a noble career and the general public tends to like them more than the police. They also may be more forgiving in regards to your past. If there is a volunteer fire department near you try to join up and see if you'll like it before trying it full time. As a volunteer you may get the basic certifications for free. But that will depend on your state and department .

                Have you considered the medical field? Nursing or EMS? They're noble careers.

                Police departments may have a hard time looking past your juvenile record.

                Good luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Burglary is generally an auto-DQ but mileage may vary by state if you're willing to move around. There's also other law enforcement jobs other than policing if corrections or others fit your interest. You were 15 and if it was a while ago then an agency may make an exception. It's a massive red flag though, especially since as a police officer you'd have access to others properties on calls and ample opportunities to commit burglary if you so chose. No agency is eager to take that liability on.

                  I'm not sure how the juvenile laws work across all 50 states and they change monthly it feels like. Try speaking with a police recruiter, if the agency has one, or otherwise asking around.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Was the felony expunged or sealed? Pled down? Home invasion is pretty bad stuff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NW121 View Post
                      Burglary is generally an auto-DQ but mileage may vary by state if you're willing to move around. There's also other law enforcement jobs other than policing if corrections or others fit your interest. You were 15 and if it was a while ago then an agency may make an exception. It's a massive red flag though, especially since as a police officer you'd have access to others properties on calls and ample opportunities to commit burglary if you so chose. No agency is eager to take that liability on.

                      I'm not sure how the juvenile laws work across all 50 states and they change monthly it feels like. Try speaking with a police recruiter, if the agency has one, or otherwise asking around.
                      As much as you would like to think corrections take former burglers...we have in NY at least...the same background rules as police agencies in regards to hiring.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi, I am not sure about California's laws, but here in N.Y. most crimes committed as a teen is considered Y.O.
                        ( youthful offender ) status and typically does not d.q. Unless its manslaughter or something insanely severe, in N.Y. you are basically forgiven for any mistakes you made as a teen. Come to N.Y.
                        Last edited by Babyshaymiss ; 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM.

                        Comment


                        • SmallCityCop
                          SmallCityCop commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Felony is a felony= no go

                      • #13
                        In New York, Youthful Offender status does not give forgiveness for serious crimes when applying for LE positions. Your character will be in question when applying.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Babyshaymiss View Post
                          Hi, I am not sure about California's laws, but here in N.Y. most crimes committed as a teen is considered Y.O.
                          ( youthful offender ) status and typically does not d.q. Unless its manslaughter or something insanely severe, in N.Y. you are basically forgiven for any mistakes you made as a teen. Come to N.Y.
                          You are not an LEO. You don't get to post in here.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            I know in Indiana, the Indiana Department of Corrections have lowered their standards to include people with a level 6 (lowest level) felony on their record. They have also gotten a big boost in starting pay, which has made it increasingly difficult for county jails to be competitive in regards to hiring acceptable applicants. Sad, but true.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5824 users online. 358 members and 5466 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X