Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender preference and marijuana usage?

Deleted ......
    Last edited by Goblue822; 01-14-2019, 05:18 PM.

If they say you need to be drug free for a year, then you need to be drug free for a year. It's only recently that law enforcement has become more lenient on marijuana. In the past, the time between usage and hiring was a lot longer - 5 years, 10 years, or perhaps even never.

You are young...21 is usually the minimum to be hired. When I started applying at that age the biggest thing I heard from everyone was that I needed more "life experience." Stay away from the drugs and apply once you meet the minimum requirements. You can test your luck and try to get on now, but if the marijuana usage is too recent and they have a hard line on it, it won't matter how clean the rest of your life is.

And be prepared to answer why you hang out with people who are smoking it in the first place. If you had to pull your "friend" over and saw they were using while driving, could they trust you to make the right decisions?

I wouldn't say women have it "easier" getting in, but there is definitely a push for more gender diversity in law enforcement (and every other kind of diversity). However, you're not going to get hired faster or with fewer qualifications "just because" you're a woman. And in the academy, women do the same amount of pushups and running miles as the men, qualify with the same firearms, take the same tests. It might look good on paper for a department to have a lot of this and a lot of that, but you'll be taking the same calls as everyone else out on the streets.

Comment

• Goblue822
      Goblue822 commented
      Editing a comment
      21 is the minimum where I live yes.

You are saying that they rejected you solely because of your age? That doesn't make sense to me because if they thought 21 was too young then why is it the minimum age? I did see a few department ads that wanted over 23 or 24 but it looks like its 21 on at least 90% of the ones in my state.

I probably have more life experience than alot of people a few years older than me. I started working when I was 14, college when I was 16, worked 2 jobs, moved a couple times, and I've been at almost every job I've had for at least 1 year so I have a steady work history. I also lived on my own from the ages of 16 to 18 after my mom passed away from cancer when I was 15 and my parents were not stable and basically abandoned me and moved to a different state. I managed to stay out of trouble though and never tried drugs.

I have no interest at all in using marijuana again or any other type of drug. As a teen I always swore I would never try it but after being exposed to it so many times I finally said what the hell and just gave it a shot. The second time was purely impulse and I just wasn't thinking like I should've been. It was purely experimental and neither times did I ever have any intention or interest in continuing to use it, and now I feel terrible that it could hinder my career for a few years. I have already paid for the applications so I guess I will just continue the process and hope that I am forgiven for such a stupid mistake of trying it a second time.

As far as spending time with people who do it, I wish it was so black and white. I would never intentionally seek people out who did it, or if they told me as soon as they met me, I wouldn't continue hanging around them. It's just when I've become friends with someone and I discover that they do it, it puts me in a position of ending a friendship with someone because they aren't "perfect" or just simply being friends with them and refraining from engaging in their behavior. I can't pick and choose my coworkers and I'm not going to quit a job just because I find out that some of my coworkers smoke weed.

To give a completely honest answer, if it was between losing my job and losing my friend, I would rather lose my friend by doing the right thing if I were to pull them over and they were in possession of marijuana. As of now because I'm not in that position though, I really don't want to completely isolate myself from people because they aren't perfect. If I became friends with someone and found out that they raped children or something of that nature, that would obviously be a dealbreaker, and I would turn them in. But the whole marijuana thing is just a grey area to me because of how close it is to legalization and I've seen the affects of alcoholism numerous times, yet alcohol is still legal even though it causes deaths, injuries, and can easily destroy someone's life.

If the requirement is to be MJ free for 2 or 3 (or whatever) years, that is what they mean. A hit off a bowl means you are not drug free. If they make an exception for you, they have to make an exception for the entire field. A qualified female, especially one with a degree, is desirable, but they have to be otherwise qualified. Applying with a city that is under a federal consent decree will get you moved up the list quicker.

Comment

It just seems kind of silly that they would potentially reject me for that considering it says that applicants with misdemeanors are not disqualified. I also have a very solid work history for my age, great references, and I'm very good at oral interviews so I will be prepared for it when the time comes.

This is what applicants often don't get: just because you're a volcano of awesomeness doesn't mean you are immune from disqualification because of past behavior.

Tell the truth. If you get dq'd, wait a year and apply again.

One year is pretty liberal. Many are three, or five, or never.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

• Goblue822
        Goblue822 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wasn't trying to imply that at all. I was just trying to ask if they viewed these kind of things on a case by case basis instead of losing a potentially great candidate over a trivial human mistake that didn't cause any injuries, deaths, tickets, arrests, etc. By the date of the oral/background check it will only be a few months shy of a year. I guess all I can do is just be honest and hope for the best.

Originally posted by Goblue822 View Post
      So I'm 21 years old, female, and I have a BS in CJ. Right now there are 3 departments I'm in the process of applying for in a very liberal city.

I took my first written test the other day and during orientation they said you had to be free from any type of drug usage for a year.

Here's the deal. I've never really had an interest in drugs at all. I've never smoked a cigarette, and I maybe drink a glass of wine once or twice a month.

2 years ago I tried marijuana for the first time only as an experiment because it seemed like my entire life wherever I went or worked everyone was into marijuana, so I tried it just to see what exactly is the big deal. Not a damn thing. Nothing amazing happened so I couldn't understand why everyone was so crazy about it.

Last summer I was sitting in the car with a friend who just unexpectedly pulled out a bowl and started smoking it. I was stupid and decided to take 1 puff and that was it.

Those are the only two times I've experimented with marijuana. No hard drugs whatsoever. No arrests, no traffic tickets, no convictions. I'm now reading that most departments require no marijuana usage for like 3 years before applying. How flexible are they usually about that kind of thing if you are completely open and honest about it, and if it is the ONLY thing on your record that would potentially stop you from getting hired? I am fully ready to admit to the two incidents I tried marijuana as well as acknowledge that it's more recent than the policy says. It just seems kind of silly that they would potentially reject me for that considering it says that applicants with misdemeanors are not disqualified. I also have a very solid work history for my age, great references, and I'm very good at oral interviews so I will be prepared for it when the time comes.

My other question; Are female applicants really favored over male applicants because departments consist of mostly men and they favor diversity? Almost everyone who knows I want to be a cop has said that women have it way easier getting in, and apparently someone told me that a woman got pushed to the top of the eligibility list in a department because they only had 2 women working.

I would love to hear your thoughts on both topics.

You have a BS in CJ, so you must have known for at least 4 years that you wanted to be in law enforcement or a related field. Yet you decide that this is a good time to start experimenting with MJ (when you never even had any interest in drugs)?

I don't care what plumbing or qualifications you have. If you lack basic common sense, you're not getting hired. And yes, the policies are the policies. They are there for a reason, and there are no exceptions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Goblue822
      I didn't intentionally plan to experiment with marijuana. I never would've touched it if it wasn't because someone was doing it right in front of me and I was stupid enough to give it a try. It was a stupid mistake and as much as I've tried to be morally "perfect," humanity gave in.
      Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 01-14-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Goblue822
        Goblue822 commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't intentionally plan to experiment with marijuana. I never would've touched it if it wasn't because someone was doing it right in front of me and I was stupid enough to give it a try. It was a stupid mistake and as much as I've tried to be morally "perfect," humanity gave in.

• not.in.MY.town
        not.in.MY.town commented
        Editing a comment
        Goblue822 -- what if you go to a suspect's home and there happens to be a wad of cash in plain view? Is "humanity going to give in" and you take it? What if you seize drugs? Are you going to sample them because they are "right in front of you"? What if you see some co-workers get stupid drunk? Is "humanity going to give in" and you'll join them?

No, we don't look for people who are "perfect". But we do look for people who can resist temptation when it's in front of them. Give it a couple of years (at least consistent with department policy), and you should be fine.

• CCCSD
        CCCSD commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to read NIMT's replies, repeatedly! You keep excusing your behavior and demand that you be given a job. Because...why now?

• Goblue822
        Goblue822 commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely not. I have been in scenarios like that multiple times at past jobs and I never once thought of making the wrong decision because I know better than to risk my job over temporary satisfaction. I won't lie, I was not familiar with marijuana usage and the time frames regarding applications. I didn't realize it had to be years past the incident if it was only once for it to be excused, but I understand that the stakes are really high in this field so it is important to only hire those of high morality to decrease the revolving issues that are already dealt with in law enforcement regarding police violence, sexual abuse, theft, alcoholism, suicide, etc. I will continue with the application process since I have already started it, and no one has directly told me "no" yet, but if I end up having to wait a couple years then it's not the end of the world. I have learned my lesson and will continue to apply for other jobs besides PDs.

CCCSD
        I never once "demanded" to be given a job, nor have I excused my behavior. I have already said that it was a mistake and that it was stupid, but there is a difference between trying marijuana twice and smoking it excessively for years on end. LE or not, we've all done stupid things that we regret in life later on and will continue to do so until we're dead. I was forced to live on my own at 16 while going to college because my parents abandoned me and I refrained from drug usage as well as trouble with the law, accidental pregnancy, dropping out of college, failing classes, etc. I think I've been pretty damn responsible considering the situation I was placed in at such a young and immature age. I finally slipped up later on in life but it could've been much worse than that. I'm not going to give up on being successful because of that.

You are saying that they rejected you solely because of your age? That doesn't make sense to me because if they thought 21 was too young then why is it the minimum age? .

Because probably STATE LAW says 21 yrs of age is the minimum age that the state will certify or license peace officers

So the agency puts that "minimum " down .

Fast forward to the the hiring panel and the command staff that makes the hiring decisions. Most of those officers /supervisors / managers have more that 10 minuets of experience as cops and thus know what kind of maturity it takes to do the job. Most of them realize that the FAR MAJORITY of 21 yr old just don't have that maturity.

You taking a hit from a joint a few months ago just proves that point..............

What it amounts to is the under 25 (or so) applicant is going to have to prove to the administration that they are capable ..........it's a high bar to climb and it should be

I started out working in a maximum security prison at 21 and was hired as a deputy sheriff at 23. I was too young for BOTH jobs . 20 yrs later when I was promoted to Lieutenant and became a member of the hiring team..... I really was a strong advocate of not hiring anyone under 25

We hired people under that age on a semi regular basis and yep SOME of them made it (just like I had many years earlier). Many of them didn't .
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-14-2019, 12:31 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It just seems kind of silly that they would potentially reject me for that considering it says that applicants with misdemeanors are not disqualified.
        One of the reasons for having a departmental hiring policy is to ensure that potential applicants receive equal consideration. Making an exception for you opens the door for lawsuits from all others who don’t receive the same exception.

Comment

OP just can’t understand that drug use is an issue and that being female isn’t going to change that.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12205 users online. 484 members and 11721 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X